• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If They were Playing Today

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richards would destroy the bowling of today while Gavaskar would easily be the best opener in the world.
Pretty much.

The rate IVAR would have scored at 2001/02-current-day doesn't bear thinking about. Gavaskar - well, if Mark Richardson can average 50+, as he did for a while, Gavaskar could easily have averaged 60. And if the likes of Kallis, Dravid, Ponting etc. can average 70, so could he have. Easily.

George Headley, and Vijay Merchant, it'd be wonderful to have had them play just so as to see them actually get decent Test careers. :( Find it near inconceivable they'd not have gorged themselves 2001/02-onwards too.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
I think that Verity if he was playing now would be the best left arm spinner in the world.

I would be interested in people's thoughts on how Bert Sutcliffe, Clarrie Grimmett, Bill O'Reilly, Warwick Armstrong, Charlie Macartney and Bill Woodfull would go in the modern era.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Woodfull currently would probably go even better than he did in his time; Grimmett and O'Reilly I'm thoroughly confident would do well at any time in the 20th-century or 21st; Bert Sutcliffe I don't know a tremendous amount but I'd imagine he'd do damn well too; and don't really know much about cricket from the 1920s backwards, so can't really comment on Armstrong and Macartney.