• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You vs Chris Martin

pasag

RTDAS
Have been kinda wondering this since seeing that Pulp Sport clip again, do you think you'd be able to bowl one of the worst tailenders in international cricket, Chris Martin? Or conversely how far down would he have to go before being considered a good batsman.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I reckon that if Martin were to bat in a club match, he would probably be pretty good. The fact that he can actually get bat on 90mph deliveries suggests this.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I probably wouldn't get him with my first delivery, but that's because I don't typically attack the stumps first up. But if I was in the middle of a spell, I'd fancy my chances. That said, I haven't played anything approaching serious cricket in years. And haven't played at all for the better part of 2 years, IIRC.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon that if Martin were to bat in a club match, he would probably be pretty good. The fact that he can actually get bat on 90mph deliveries suggests this.
If we were talking about someone like McGrath, this would be true. Martin's FC record though, is just shockingly poor: a top score of 25, with 341 runs at 4.26 from 119 matches. He's got more wickets than runs, FFS. That said, I'm ****, so I wouldn't get him out every time, but I'd back myself to get him a few times in the nets or something.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I really don't think he'd be a good batsman even at the club level, to be honest. Well, maybe at my school he would be, but generally I wouldn't think so.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
He wouldnt make our 4th XI as a batsman and id be pissed if i didnt go in ahead of him at any level. Its so painful to watch him bat, youd think all the experts around him would be able to do something for his batting, but it just doesnt get any better season after season.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I reckon he could easily bat club second or thirds level over here. As Sam said, putting anything (even seeing really) a 90mph delivery takes something. I doubt all these people writing above could score 25 against Bangladesh, however bad you think they are.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But the question isn't anything to do with our batting ability. It's our ability to dismiss Martin. So it's all about his batting, not ours.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I actually laughed out loud because I thought this was more a piss take on all the vs. threads cropping up.

But seriously, given 4-5 full overs at him I reckon I could get him. Probably caught trying to smack me over mid on, though.

Simon

I actually laughed out loud because I thought this was more a piss take on all the vs. threads cropping up.

But seriously, given 4-5 full overs at him I reckon I could get him. Probably caught trying to smack me over mid on, though.
dunno Greg I've seen you bowl, would need to be a pretty outstanding rock.

I'd back myself to get him at some stage in a full spell of bowling though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But the question isn't anything to do with our batting ability. It's our ability to dismiss Martin. So it's all about his batting, not ours.
I think he was addressing the comparitive levels though. The level most of us are playing is so far removed from batting 11 at international level it's not funny. He'd probably fare a lot better than most people think at lower levels, especially once he was removed from 1st class cricket. Unless the bowler in question is at least playing 1st grade in his local area I think his chances of dismissing Martin would be slim. Even then it'd take a pretty good ball.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to say. I reckon he'd go alright against my leggies. Might have to test him out with a googly or two.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I think he was addressing the comparitive levels though. The level most of us are playing is so far removed from batting 11 at international level it's not funny. He'd probably fare a lot better than most people think at lower levels, especially once he was removed from 1st class cricket. Unless the bowler in question is at least playing 1st grade in his local area I think his chances of dismissing Martin would be slim. Even then it'd take a pretty good ball.
I'm not sure it's so much a case of getting him out, more a case of not getting smashed everywhere. He'd just have too good an eye and too much experience of really quick bowling to miss out on club bowling.