• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You vs Chris Martin

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In most cases (and I cant say for sure in this one), is that players get paid for club cricket and you dont pay a guy to bowl and only bat in the tail. Club players (especially those with names and reps) have to do it all even in they are crap.

On a different note, there seems to be a logic by many on here that if a guy has the ability to bowl and play Test cricket that he also must have some batting ability. The 2 are unrelated. A guy that bowls in Test cricket can very possibly have the batting ability of a club 4th team scorer.

Martin cant bat. If I played any form of cricket and he batted above me then I would be hitting the roof and I would be a 10/11 at FC level.
I don't disagree - but wasn't it you who said last week that the best footballers are the best golfers are the best tennis players. I think people are applying the same sort of logic here.

As for Anderson, you're probably right, IIRC he couldn't bowl anyway because of his injury, so yeah I'm sure they were just being paid to get game time. But as Nasser Hussain said, "James Anderson only bats 11 because there isn't a lower option available" so I'd be interested in seeing how he got on batting in the top six

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
but wasn't it you who said last week that the best footballers are the best golfers are the best tennis players. I think people are applying the same sort of logic here.
hmm, you got me there. :)

I did say that, and I believe it. In my defence Id say there is slight differences between what I said last week and this but I see what is meant.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I'm very confident I could get him. You'd have to pitch it up though - he's usually not good enough to find the edge, which is how I traditionally go for wickets.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Goughy and Mr Mxyzptlk on the money here, Martin is an absolute no hoper with the bat. I've read several articles about him (can't be stuffed trying to find them) saying that he still bats at 11 when he plays for his club, and that he's never scored a fifty in any grade of cricket. So it's safe to say that he wouldn't be a decent club level batsman at all, and that I'd definately back myself to get him out.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, and the man cannot bat. Cricket is cricket, and Chris Martin cannot bat. Yes, he may face some bowlers who can't bowl below that level, but that doesn't mean he can bat. As I said before, Martin is only a Test #11 because there are only 11 players in a team. He cannot possibly bat any lower, and everyone has to bat. As number 11s go, he's not on par with most of them.

In the same way that Alastair Cook (random name) is likely a worse bowler than most club level operators, Chris Martin may well be that bad a batsman. Just because someone plays Test cricket does not make him better in all departments than amateurs. He is not picked to bat and Alastair Cook is not picked to bowl, therefore those respective skills are irrelevant to their status as Test cricketers.
But it's not irrelevant to lower levels. If cricket is cricket why aren't I playing for Australia when I take 5 for on Saturdays? It's because even though I can cut most of the batsmen in my comp in half with reasonable deliveries I could bowl all day at someone like Michael Slater and not cause him any trouble at all really. I know Chris Martin isn't anywhere near that level as a bat, but the way some people are making out on here that practically anyone could get him out.

I guess the only way we'd ever find out anyway is if we all got to bowl at him:happy: It could possibly turn out that you're right. But I have my doubts he'd be terrible. I know alot of 'batsmen' in my comp would look pretty poor against 140 clicks.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I reckon you'd have to get him out early, because once in I'd back him to just block everything and keep it out, if that was his sole intention, from guys of the level that I'd assume most of us posters are at.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Guys in the final group like, Martin, Malcolm and Tufnell just cant bat. Cant bat at Test level and couldnt bat at club level.
Tufnell has a first-class 67*. Malcolm has two FC fifties.

I've got past twenty once in my life and I batted top six for my club's Sunday side last summer. Chasm and a half.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon you'd have to get him out early, because once in I'd back him to just block everything and keep it out, if that was his sole intention, from guys of the level that I'd assume most of us posters are at.
I don't think your level is at the same as the rest of us Jack.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Chris Martin vs Chris Martin?

A thought just occurred to me. This will sound stupid at the start, but give me time.

Today during our usual pavilion banter, the question was posed, who would be the better batsman? Chris Martin the bowler, or Chris Martin the singer?

This led quickly to the next question, do you think that any average man could go into test cricket and end up with a higher batting average than Chris Martin's dismal 2.17 in tests and 1.60 in ODIs.

Chris Martin the singer?

Or Chris Martin the cricketer?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, he'd struggle with his backlift due to the ridiculous number of bracelets and things he wears.

Polo23

International Debutant
I've always wondered if i'd be able to do a better job with the bat than Martin in test cricket. It quickly comes with the answer "of course, I actually have a half decent technique".

I think anyone who has the ability to get into line and play the ball under their eyes (which really isnt that bloody difficult) no matter how little talent they have, would be able to do a better job than Chris Martin.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Having seen the way Chris Martin (the vocalist) moves about on-stage I don't think he's overblessed with co-ordination either, so would fancy the cricketing version still.

How's CM's club batting? I once read that the nearly as dire & infinitely less gutsy Tufnell actually used to open the batting for his club side!!

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A bloke called Peter Gooch was picked for Lancashire a few times in the early 70's as a pace bowler - he wasn't all that successful with the ball but as a bat by all accounts was a total number 11 and in his brief career never scored a first class run

As a stats hungry kid I was baffled therefore to see him turn out in a decent standard club match and score a very rapid 50 so I think Martin would be pretty capable at club level with a bat in his hand