• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You vs Chris Martin

bond21

Banned
Well Jason Gillespie played A grade cricket in SA as a batsman when he was injured, although he did score a test double century.

Chris Martin...i duno hes pretty crap.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Well Jason Gillespie played A grade cricket in SA as a batsman when he was injured, although he did score a test double century.

Chris Martin...i duno hes pretty crap.
:laugh:

That's the entire point, innit?

Anyway, I reckon an arm ball or a quicker ball (especially one pitched nice and full) would nail him, given his tendency to play from the crease and even miss the line of the ball.

Craig

World Traveller
Well according to Pickup I bowl at tick over 40mp/h, so I doubt it. Batting wise he is Bradman compared to me.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think he was addressing the comparitive levels though. The level most of us are playing is so far removed from batting 11 at international level it's not funny. He'd probably fare a lot better than most people think at lower levels, especially once he was removed from 1st class cricket. Unless the bowler in question is at least playing 1st grade in his local area I think his chances of dismissing Martin would be slim. Even then it'd take a pretty good ball.
Disagree. Everything I've seen of Chris Martin screams out that he really is THAT bad. He's not picked for his batting, so him being an international cricketer isn't really any reflection on his ability, even considering how he'd do against lesser bowlers. Martin is more of a number 20 than a number 11.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
And take into the fact that he has probably had a lot of coaching from top level coaches, so he will almost certainly be able to hit an average club bowler.

Top_Cat

And take into the fact that he has probably had a lot of coaching from top level coaches, so he will almost certainly be able to hit an average club bowler.
Yup, even a total bunny like Bruce Reid scored a club ton and he makes Martin look pretty good.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
I don't think I could get him out, Nor do Imagine anyone among us could do it often (unless you play high level club cricket)

granted some high class players do get out to "Norms' when they go back to club cricket.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Well judging also from the way he fields, there seems to be very little natural hand-eye coordination. I think he really can't bat. McGrath could bat. Martin, not so much.

Simon

don't think I could get him out, Nor do Imagine anyone among us could do it often (unless you play high level club cricket)

granted some high class players do get out to "Norms' when they go back to club cricket.
Ive gotten out far better batsman than Martin before, also in the past I've been unable to dismiss worse players than him, just depends on the day how I'm bowling and if I could produce that wicket taking ball. Same goes for anyone else playing at a pretty reasonable standard of cricket.

Top_Cat

Ive gotten out far better batsman than Martin before, also in the past I've been unable to dismiss worse players than him, just depends on the day how I'm bowling and if I could produce that wicket taking ball. Same goes for anyone else playing at a pretty reasonable standard of cricket.
That's the key though, isn't it? Some people are acting like anyone with a functioning arm and rotator cuff could dismiss him when the reality is, even a Test number 11 can hold a bat relatively well if you're talking A-grade club level.

Simon

That's the key though, isn't it? Some people are acting like anyone with a functioning arm and rotator cuff could dismiss him when the reality is, even a Test number 11 can hold a bat relatively well if you're talking A-grade club level.
Not sure, all I can compare it to is the level of cricket I play, the guys I play with and against in first grade in Canberra did pretty well against the Indian side when they played here a couple of months ago, I have dismissed guys that played in that game and some of them went pretty well against international bowlers, so by that logic it wouldnt be impossible for me to get Chris Martin out, but by no means would I expect to get him out every couple of balls.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
When we're talking about getting him out, are we specifically talking about beating his defences and bowling him, getting him LBW or caught behind? I wouldn't be confident of that, but would be of getting him caught in the outer, like I said before.

Simon

When we're talking about getting him out, are we specifically talking about beating his defences and bowling him, getting him LBW or caught behind? I wouldn't be confident of that, but would be of getting him caught in the outer, like I said before.
Technically I guess u could bowl it under arm and put nine fielders on the boundry and lop a ball at him six dozen times and I'd say theres a fair chance a catch will be held. I'm guessing the original question is more relating to do you have the ability to dismiss him more so than him getting himself out against you?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There are 2 types of tailenders.

Those that cant bat against good bowling and those that just cant bat.

In terms of production at the top level then there isnt much difference as neither can do well or score runs. However, when dropping down a level or 3, a guy in the first group can start scoring runs where as the 2nd group still cant.

Id guess guys in the 1st group would be McGrath, Fraser etc. They work on their games and have an idea of technique but are just not talented enough to succeed against good bowling.

Guys in the final group like, Martin, Malcolm and Tufnell just cant bat. Cant bat at Test level and couldnt bat at club level.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Disagree. Everything I've seen of Chris Martin screams out that he really is THAT bad. He's not picked for his batting, so him being an international cricketer isn't really any reflection on his ability, even considering how he'd do against lesser bowlers. Martin is more of a number 20 than a number 11.
Everything you've seen of Chris Martin is First Class level and above.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Everything you've seen of Chris Martin is First Class level and above.
Yes, and the man cannot bat. Cricket is cricket, and Chris Martin cannot bat. Yes, he may face some bowlers who can't bowl below that level, but that doesn't mean he can bat. As I said before, Martin is only a Test #11 because there are only 11 players in a team. He cannot possibly bat any lower, and everyone has to bat. As number 11s go, he's not on par with most of them.

In the same way that Alastair Cook (random name) is likely a worse bowler than most club level operators, Chris Martin may well be that bad a batsman. Just because someone plays Test cricket does not make him better in all departments than amateurs. He is not picked to bat and Alastair Cook is not picked to bowl, therefore those respective skills are irrelevant to their status as Test cricketers.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not entirely relevant but when Anderson played club cricket on his way back from injury in 06, he batted in the top six, and he's pretty dire

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Not entirely relevant but when Anderson played club cricket on his way back from injury in 06, he batted in the top six, and he's pretty dire
In most cases (and I cant say for sure in this one), is that players get paid for club cricket and you dont pay a guy to bowl and only bat in the tail. Club players (especially those with names and reps) have to do it all even in they are crap.

On a different note, there seems to be a logic by many on here that if a guy has the ability to bowl and play Test cricket that he also must have some batting ability. The 2 are unrelated. A guy that bowls in Test cricket can very possibly have the batting ability of a club 4th team scorer.

Martin cant bat. If I played any form of cricket and he batted above me then I would be hitting the roof and I would be a 10/11 at FC level.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say at club level Martin would do alright...he'd still bat low down the order but I reckon he'd average a fair bit more than the 2.5 or whatever he averages at the moment.

Matthew Horne (the ex-New Zealand opener) took a ten wicket haul in an Auckland club match a few weekends ago - he never took a wicket at test level IIRC. It just goes to show the huge difference in quality from the elite level to a more "dire" level.