• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stephen Fleming v Ricky Ponting

Who is the better captain?

• Total voters

Craig

World Traveller
Captaincy only!!

So is or was the better captain, and don't just go by their records either because we all know Ponting will win, but then he has a better team. But by you know, watching them play.

Isaac C

Cricket Spectator
A very difficult decision, obviously like you said Ponting has won more but has a better side. Fleming hasn't really won anything but is playing with a weaker side. It's very difficult to compare captains when the ability of the sides their captain are of such different ability.

archie mac

International Coach
Too hard, captaincy is a very hard thing to rate, I think just a couple of years ago, Flem easily but now Ponting is getting closer

iamdavid

International Debutant
There should be a rule...only five "x vs y" threads can be on the front page at any one time...

Fleming btw

Flem274*

123/5
I'm sure you'll all be shocked to know that I voted Fleming.

And I agree with the other guy, these vs threads are getting annoying.

sideshowtim

Banned
Fleming achieved average results with an average side. Ponting has achieved remarkable results with a very good side. Ponting wins.

Craig

World Traveller
Life is a lot easier to win the Ashes or a World Cup when you have the luxery of the likes of Hayden, Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist etc. As it stands Fleming led New Zealand to their first series win in England (AFAIK but I could be wrong) and their first ODI Tournament as well.

Look at the Ashes in 2005 when Ponting didn't have McGrath for the two Tests he was injured for? It was like he didn't have an clue in what to do at times.

Flem274*

123/5
Fleming achieved average results with an average side. Ponting has achieved remarkable results with a very good side. Ponting wins.
About as predictable as my vote. Is there any player in history that could win a comparison with an Australian of similar ability in your opinion?:p

Flem274*

123/5
Probably not, no. :p
Fair enough, I'll just dig up some random Richard stats and twist them and come up with the following conclusion: Michael Papps is a better opener than Mathew Hayden. First stat is his higher ODI average.:happy:

And Jamie How destroys them all!!!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Life is a lot easier to win the Ashes or a World Cup when you have the luxery of the likes of Hayden, Warne, McGrath, Gilchrist etc. As it stands Fleming led New Zealand to their first series win in England (AFAIK but I could be wrong) and their first ODI Tournament as well.

Look at the Ashes in 2005 when Ponting didn't have McGrath for the two Tests he was injured for? It was like he didn't have an clue in what to do at times.
I think NZ won a series here in the 80s. They had "Ilford Seconds" t-shirts on IIRC

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure how one goes about comparing these two? Vastly different Captains with vastly different teams that required vastly different approaches.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think NZ won a series here in the 80s. They had "Ilford Seconds" t-shirts on IIRC
Remember it well. They won at Trent Bridge. The thing that sticks out in the memory is the innings of John Bracewell. He made about the only century is in entire life but as he was heading for his century he happily took a single of the first ball of an over leaving Number 11 exposed and when he reached three figures he showed no emotion whatsoever.

Flem274*

123/5
Ricky Ponting isn't my favourite player and I happen to respect Fleming, for some strange reason.
Never said he was, was meaning your favourite of the two, which is what I generally do in vs threads. Might start voting Chris Martin or some other tailender bunny though.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Remember it well. They won at Trent Bridge. The thing that sticks out in the memory is the innings of John Bracewell. He made about the only century is in entire life but as he was heading for his century he happily took a single of the first ball of an over leaving Number 11 exposed and when he reached three figures he showed no emotion whatsoever.
I remember reading about Bracewell's knock in a tour magazine put out by the Crowes. Is it true that he scored most of his runs in that innings from the sweep?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I remember reading about Bracewell's knock in a tour magazine put out by the Crowes. Is it true that he scored most of his runs in that innings from the sweep?

I think to say most might be a slight exaggeration, although he certainly faced a lot of bowling from Edmonds and Emburey who bowled an extraordinary amount of overs for the first innings of a Test Match. This was mainly because the seam attack consisted of Small, Pringle and one other nonentity who's name temporarily escapes me and who I'm not going to dignify by looking it up.