• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stephen Fleming v Ricky Ponting

Who is the better captain?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fleming, ITBT. Ponting nowhere near as bad as he's oft been made-out to be, but not as good as Fleming, who was beyond doubt the best cricket captain I've seen.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Then you never saw Taylor, I Chappell, Illingworth or Lloyd I take it?

Not a criticism, Fleming was a fine captain, but I think he gets over-rated because he put in 2 gullies and a short point to Martyn and told his batters to let everything from McGrath go. I think, with all due respect to him, if it hadn't rained int he 1st 2 tests of that series v Australia which was drawn, his rep wouldn't have been as great as it is now.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Not a criticism, Fleming was a fine captain, but I think he gets over-rated because he put in 2 gullies and a short point to Martyn and told his batters to let everything from McGrath go. I think, with all due respect to him, if it hadn't rained int he 1st 2 tests of that series v Australia which was drawn, his rep wouldn't have been as great as it is now.
Yeah, you're forgetting he captained New Zealand against teams other than Australia...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The lattermost three never even captained a Test in my lifetime (Illingworth's last game was over a decade before I was born and Chappell's exactly that to a week!) and while Taylor was undoubtedly a top-drawer captain his last series was the first after I'd got seriously into the game, before which I never really watched attentively enough to appreciate how good captaincy worked.

It's very possible, going by what I've read, that three of the aforementioned four (never thought that much of Lloyd - like Stephen Waugh his captaincy wasn't exceptional, just the results of his team - his captaincy was merely adaquete) were at least equals of Fleming, plus others besides (such as Mike Brearley and Imran Khan - better still than any) but then again, I've read many times that Shane Warne was a good captain, and that's completely contradicted by what I've seen.
Yeah, you're forgetting he captained New Zealand against teams other than Australia...
Exactly. It's so annoying how people think the only thing of note Fleming ever did was in that one VB Series, and to a lesser extent in the preceding Tests.