• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

VVS Laxman vs Mark Waugh

VVS Laxman vs Mark Waugh

• Total voters

tooextracool

International Coach
Wow Mark Waugh really is overrrated on this forum, probably by people who barely saw him hold a bat. Waugh was a decent player no doubt, but his aesthetically pleasing technique masked the fact that he often crumbled when he was really required to score and its not particularly surprising that someone of his temperament only had a highest score of 153 in tests. In my book, Mark Waugh was probably the worst regular Aussie batsman in the side during his time and there is no way in hell that Waugh could ever produce an innings of the class of Laxman's 281, absolutely no way. He simply wasnt good enough. Mark Waugh was a great ODI batsman and a slightly better than ordinary test batsman, who IMO would struggle to consistently make the Aussie test side if he were currently playing.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow Mark Waugh really is overrrated on this forum, probably by people who barely saw him hold a bat. Waugh was a decent player no doubt, but his aesthetically pleasing technique masked the fact that he often crumbled when he was really required to score and its not particularly surprising that someone of his temperament only had a highest score of 153 in tests. In my book, Mark Waugh was probably the worst regular Aussie batsman in the side during his time and there is no way in hell that Waugh could ever produce an innings of the class of Laxman's 281, absolutely no way. He simply wasnt good enough. Mark Waugh was a great ODI batsman and a slightly better than ordinary test batsman, who IMO would struggle to consistently make the Aussie test side if he were currently playing.
Stupid statements here

Waugh's major weaknesses were that he didnt convert numerous hudreds into doubles or play for not outs, hence an average that didnt reflect his talent

Anyone who saw, for example, his match and series winning innings on a green top against Donald and co in SA knew that this was a player of rare quality

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Firstly, I genuinely dislike Mark Waugh, so me defending him here hurts, particularly since I love VVS as well.

But if the whole new age of worse bowlers compared to the 90s arguments works for some players, it must work for the Mark Waugh vs. VVS comparison as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's an interesting one actually, and a question I've often asked myself. Most (not all - vitally not so in fact) of Laxman's good period of March 2001 - January 2004 came on flat pitches and against mediocre bowling that so dominated the time in question.

There remains absolutely no question in my mind that Laxman has and had the capability to deal with good-quality seam and spin on helpful surfaces - and he has done so on a few of the rarer occasions he's got the chance.

Nonetheless, the fact is Mark Waugh faced such conditions more often than Laxman did. Both were good at putting away bad bowling on flat pitches - Laxman more so than Waugh, and having more opportunity to do so to boot. And this has to count for something.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stupid statements here

Waugh's major weaknesses were that he didnt convert numerous hudreds into doubles or play for not outs, hence an average that didnt reflect his talent

Anyone who saw, for example, his match and series winning innings on a green top against Donald and co in SA knew that this was a player of rare quality
And anyone who saw Vivian Richards' innings in his two short periods of exceptionalness knew that here was a player of rare quality. Yet Richards, like Mark Waugh, didn't come close to putting together an output that justified some of his raw abilities.

Like it or not, this does reflect upon the players in question.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah i thought it was Adelaide because Aus went on to win that series after scrapping through with a draw in Adelaide.
IIRR, had South Africa won that game it'd have been a 1-1 tie - and had they won a game they should have won in the home series the previous summer they'd have won that 2-1 for a 3-2 aggregate. :dry:

BTW, something I've been meaning to ask you for ages - is R D actually your initials? 'Cos if so you're the first person I've ever met who shares my first and surname initials.