Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who was the better bowler?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angus 'I need a sit down' Fraser

13 50.00%
  • Darren 'Dazzler' Gough

13 50.00%

Thread: You call that a battle?! This is a battle! Angus Fraser v Darren Gough

U19 Captain

You call that a battle?! This is a battle! Angus Fraser v Darren Gough

i think most will agree the pick of the 90s english bowlers.

so a super agent approaches your team and offers the best versions of gough and fraser, you can only take one, who be it?

U19 Vice-Captain
    Gough. Did Fraser ever win Strictly Come Dancing?

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by James_W View Post
    Gough. Did Fraser ever win Strictly Come Dancing?
    gus looked like he needed a ventilator before his first delivery of the day. can you imagine him after a vigorous tango routine with one of those toned, athletic young ladies?

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Who was the better bowler? hmm, tough one

Gough was the better servant to English cricket and along with his quick bowling he brought energy and a bit of batting. Probably the only quality quick much above medium pace that England produced since Willis.

However, in terms of who was the better bowler Id have to go with Fraser. Even before injury he was never fast but he hit the bat hard and had some 'nip'. A great splice bowler that had guys coming forward and the ball getting big on them. Never gave anything away and came hard all the time. A really difficult opponent.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

FBU
    I'll go for Gough. Fraser was before my time.
    Strike rate Gough 51.60 compared to Fraser 61.40.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Fraser for mine.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    What's a battle?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Who was the better bowler? hmm, tough one

Gough was the better servant to English cricket and along with his quick bowling he brought energy and a bit of batting. Probably the only quality quick much above medium pace that England produced since Willis.

However, in terms of who was the better bowler Id have to go with Fraser. Even before injury he was never fast but he hit the bat hard and had some 'nip'. A great splice bowler that had guys coming forward and the ball getting big on them. Never gave anything away and came hard all the time. A really difficult opponent.
    I agree it is a difficult one to choose. For me though Fraser is just slightly ahead. He was a real work horse bowler and fairly big injuries denied him being one of the world's best bowlers and taking over 300 wickets. Instead he managed 177. Gough was the better death bowler in the ODI's and was also a better bowler on an overcast day when the ball would swing.

I misread the first post when giving my vote to Darren Gough - if an agent offers me the best of either, I would select Angus Fraser. Darren Gough did not reach massive heights of brilliance with his bowling, he was more of a consistent performer. Fraser's performances against the West Indies still stick in my mind, despite me being 7 during the 1998 series and 3 during the 1994 series.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Fraser, unquestionably for mine - in Tests. Not by that much, but a clear mark there.

Both, of course, could have done so much more and were very probably only denied by injuries. The careers of both will always leave me with a feeling of great disappointment - as, I dare say, did those of Paul Reiffel, Damien Fleming and maybe even Jason Gillespie for the same reasons in Australian circles.

Fraser had one crucial thing that Gough never did - height. True, Gough could bowl both seam and swing (and swing with new and old ball - the first such bowler from this country to do so) whereas Fraser (especially after his injury) usually relied on there being seam in the surface to make him dangerous. But added to his height Fraser was much more accurate. If Gough were to get a ball that neither swung conventionally or reverse, he had neither the height nor accuracy (the former not helping the latter of course - taller bowlers have much greater margin-for-error in length than shorter ones) to be much more than fair cannon-fodder. Fraser was always at the batsman even if he didn't always offer to get them out - and of course, this meant that when there was something in the pitch for him he got far more wickets than Gough did because he hit the right areas so much more.

In ODIs, meanwhile, both were in their own ways quite brilliant, and the perfect pairing any captain could ask for. Fraser (and Caddick again immediately after his retirement) rarely failed to be good for 10 tight overs off the reel and very possibly an early wicket or two; Gough (until 2001/02 and his own problems starting) usually gave you 4 or 5 with a very high chance of early wickets, and then came back at the death and was often almost impossible to get away with his reverse-inswing and pinpoint Yorker length. Give either the other's job and they'd probably both go awfully - but you couldn't wish for much more if you gave them the right roles. So impossible to say one was better.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Regular shortpitched713's Avatar
    Angus Fraser by a decent amount.
    Proud 2nd member of GM-OLAS
    Honorary Assistant Vice-President and Inquisitor General of T2IBS (Twenty-20 is Boring Society)

Fraz highlights the defining aspect of Shoaib's legacy:
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    Those humanitarian works etc ?
    Quote Originally Posted by andruid View Post
    I feel Tendulkar's association with the money minting exploitation of cricket fandom by certain varying commercial interests tarnishes his greatness a tad.

Thread Information