• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting v Sachin Tendulkar

Who is the better batsman?

• Total voters

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The title says it all tbh, this was prompted by some of the discussion in the Richards V Tendulkar thread.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
14, 13, 18, 2, 60, 9, 16, 0, 6, 0, 0, 11, 11, 12
-*cough*

I think he might very well turn this around later in the year, but until he does...eight tests over eight years with only one score over 20 is a bit of a trend.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And Ponting has been so good everywhere else and against everyone that I think he is clearly the best batsman since the turn of the century, so I just wanted to get that out there - better than Kallis, Dravid, and the rest of the people who have also been very good. In fact, I think he might very well be much better than everyone else this decade.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty much the same deal with the Lara poll. More consistent and better overall record.

Isaac C

Cricket Spectator
Without a doubt Tendulkar is the best out of those three. He separates himself from them in the way that he can turn a match single handed Ely with his audacious stroke play and his timing is perfect. He's a different player to Ponting; Tendulkar has opened, gone at 3 and now bats at, with each position Tendulkar's world class batting follows. Not only that but Tendulkar has managed to score runs in every part of the world. Whether on the dusty tracks of India or the green April wickets in England his run scoring has been consistently sound.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This one poses an interesting question to me - are you comparing the two as batsmen at their peak, asking which man stands higher in the all-time pantheon of the game, wondering which of the two will leave a greater legacy once they've been dismissed for the final time, or simply deciding who would be first pick if they were lined up in the playground beside each other?

At present, Ricky's "India" moments hold a question mark above him, and Sachin holds more aces in the regard that he stands further apart from other Indian batsmen down the years: Gavaskar holds a candle, but no others - whilst Ricky has a number of names held up alongside (and above) him. Yet Sachin has (arguably) passed his peak whilst Ricky is playing at his own (current occasional form notwithstanding)...

Someone tell me which debate we're having, and I'll decide how I want to decide to sit on the fence.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
This one poses an interesting question to me - are you comparing the two as batsmen at their peak, asking which man stands higher in the all-time pantheon of the game, wondering which of the two will leave a greater legacy once they've been dismissed for the final time, or simply deciding who would be first pick if they were lined up in the playground beside each other?.
Haha, I suppose we're comparing the two in terms of higher in the all time stakes.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
This one poses an interesting question to me - are you comparing the two as batsmen at their peak, asking which man stands higher in the all-time pantheon of the game, wondering which of the two will leave a greater legacy once they've been dismissed for the final time, or simply deciding who would be first pick if they were lined up in the playground beside each other?

At present, Ricky's "India" moments hold a question mark above him, and Sachin holds more aces in the regard that he stands further apart from other Indian batsmen down the years: Gavaskar holds a candle, but no others - whilst Ricky has a number of names held up alongside (and above) him. Yet Sachin has (arguably) passed his peak whilst Ricky is playing at his own (current occasional form notwithstanding)...

Someone tell me which debate we're having, and I'll decide how I want to decide to sit on the fence.
That's an interesting point Neil. I personally think about it in terms of "what they have done; what they haven't done; and what will they still do".

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
IMO that's not an arguable point. I think its pretty clear that he has.
Whilst Sachin will probably not reach the heights he did in the 90s, over the last 2 years he has shown he is out of his slump for mine. And if he continues batting this way then...really...he will be the best bar some absolute tonking from Ponting.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I do too, but I was covering my arse in case someone wanted to attack that post by ranting about the CB Series finals hundreds instead of appreciating its philosophical beauty.
Well, he has shown some flashes in the ODI game from time to time, but much less so in Tests. ODI's always came more natural to him though, I think, so he can probably do better in those even when out of form. He doesn't hide the fact that he is a child of the ODI era, getting interested in cricket (from tennis) only when India won the world cup.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just can't help but vote for these irrelevant options...

I think Tendulkar will be remembered more fondly, prodigy etc, Ponting will end up with more tons, but who do I think is the better batsman? Or was, rather? Hmmm. If Ponting gets the runs (hehe :ph34r:) in India then I think I'll go with that. The whole "never had to bat V Australia" thing will never wash with me, just look how good he's been against everyone else.

Never hated anyone so much as I did Ponting during the first couple of Tests of the last Ashes, he is marvellous

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
These polls are getting rather silly. The only credible poll involving Lara and Tendulkar comparing them with batsman of their own era would be against each other....which I think has been done to death before.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tendulkar > Ponting, based on what they've done to date (as a batsman only) in terms of all time stakes. Were Ponting to score heavily in India, I think the gap would close up pretty markedly.

masterblaster

International Captain
Sachin Tendulkar, the greatest Indian batsman of all time and the greatest ODI batsman in the history of cricket.