• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting v Sachin Tendulkar

Who is the better batsman?

• Total voters

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tndulkar by a margin. Rarely had a nemesis, as he has such perfect technique. Ponting has quite a number of flaws in his technique than Tendulkar, and those have been cruelly exposed by the Indians in the last test series.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tndulkar by a margin. Rarely had a nemesis, as he has such perfect technique. Ponting has quite a number of flaws in his technique than Tendulkar, and those have been cruelly exposed by the Indians in the last test series.
LOL, what are these number of flaws? Maybe we can pass this knowledge you've acquired onto the rest of the teams as they're getting walloped regularly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think aside from being Harbhajan's bunny, Ponting was just in a bit of inconsistent form last series. I don't think you can read anything into it. He still scored a century. I don't believe there were any fatal flaws discovered or anything like that.

Last edited:

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Tendulkar was so much better than Ponting in the 90's, whereas Ponting has outshone Tendulkar in the 2000's. Tendulkar has also had to deal with the pressures of a billion people, as many have pointed out. Tendulkar's Test record is suprisingly inconsistent (his average against South Africa is inadequate, whilst he is surprisingly lacking against Pakistan). In his favour, he's done very well against everybody else, even if he's feasted on minnows more than Ponting has.

Luckily (for my head), Tendulkar is a better ODI batsman than Ponting, so I can vote in favour of Tendulkar.

EDIT: Oh yes, honestbharani pointed out to me that Tendulkar is still capable of making gigantic hundreds when looking out of form, as well. Ricky Ponting is capable of making the odd 50, or, if he's lucky, a 100, but not much more.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with ponting is that he has scored most in a era where a lot of players have boosted their averages(Mohammad yousuf,jaques kallis,hayden,sehwag) and average runs per innings has been higher.
And then there is a question mark on him in spin friendly conditions.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with ponting is that he has scored most in a era where a lot of players have boosted their averages(Mohammad yousuf,jaques kallis,hayden,sehwag) and average runs per innings has been higher.
And then there is a question mark on him in spin friendly conditions.
That's not a problem with Ponting, it's just a fact that there are players who have scored well in this 'era'. Regardless, if it makes you feel better, knock his average down a bit. It does not affect his overall record much at all.

And the only place Ponting fails is in India. No-Where-Else. In Sri Lanka against Murali he averages 50 - so the spin-friendly argument doesn't seem to hold.

This is the whole point, Ponting has no weakness in his record bar his performance in India. Tendulkar, Lara, and many other batsmen simply do not have that kind of record and this is a fact that a lot of people seem to ignore.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
That's not a problem with Ponting, it's just a fact that there are players who have scored well in this 'era'. Regardless, if it makes you feel better, knock his average down a bit. It does not affect his overall record much at all.

And the only place Ponting fails is in India. No-Where-Else. In Sri Lanka against Murali he averages 50 - so the spin-friendly argument doesn't seem to hold.

This is the whole point, Ponting has no weakness in his record bar his performance in India. Tendulkar, Lara, and many other batsmen simply do not have that kind of record and this is a fact that a lot of people seem to ignore.
Spin friendly argument doesnt hold? Hello? How come then he has so much a measly average in India? He;s played 3 test series so far in India and still has got only 1 50 to his credit. The best batsman in the world is he person who has done reasonably well against all opposition in home and away. Had Ponting averaged say 30-35, one could give him credit. But 12? In 8 tests? Thats abysmal./

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Spin friendly argument doesnt hold? Hello? How come then he has so much a measly average in India? He;s played 3 test series so far in India and still has got only 1 50 to his credit. The best batsman in the world is he person who has done reasonably well against all opposition in home and away. Had Ponting averaged say 30-35, one could give him credit. But 12? In 8 tests? Thats abysmal./
And why does he clobber a better spinner in the dust-bowl of dust-bowls? He does well against every spinner bar Kumble and Harbhajan and only at home. I think you're taking too much liberty with his record in India.

Ponting doesn't have a problem with spin, because those same Indian bowlers were humiliated in Australia (where Ponting averages 79 against India). It is only against India and in India where he's had problems. Murali confesses himself that Ponting is one of the best players of spin in the world.

It is abysmal, but it is only 8 tests in one country. Everywhere else, bar England where he averages 42, he averages 50+. That record is not matched by anyone in the current era (including Tendulkar) and at the top of my head I can only think of a small handful of batsmen that come close or surpass that record.

Precambrian

Banned
And why does he clobber a better spinner in the dust-bowl of dust-bowls? He does well against every spinner bar Kumble and Harbhajan and only at home. I think you're taking too much liberty with his record in India.

Ponting doesn't have a problem with spin, because those same Indian bowlers were humiliated in Australia (where Ponting averages 79 against India). It is only against India and in India where he's had problems. Murali confesses himself that Ponting is one of the best players of spin in the world.

It is abysmal, but it is only 8 tests in one country. Everywhere else, bar England where he averages 42, he averages 50+. That record is not matched by anyone in the current era (including Tendulkar) and at the top of my head I can only think of a small handful of batsmen that come close or surpass that record.

OMG! Thats ultra dumb. You are arguing like: Andrew Strauss has played Aussie spinners well barring McGill and Shane Warne. Excuse me, Indian spinners in Ponting age = Bhajji & Kumble. And overseas spinners have never done well in Australia. Thats not due to Ponting. Australian tracks are hardly suited to spin except SCG and that;s why Australia is still struggling to look beyond McGill and Warne.

As regards to your record, who cares? Sachin averages 55+ in Australia and in England. Only SA< Pak and NZ he's got sub 40 average but its still respectable and not like the 12. And had Ponting played in the 90-s against Walsh and Ambrose int heir prime, his nos in Windies would have been still worse.

So get out of your lofty perch and accept the fact. Ponting's dumb against spin in India. And extremely dumb at that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ponting doesn't have a problem with spin, because those same Indian bowlers were humiliated in Australia (where Ponting averages 79 against India).
To be honest, Harbhajan played only one Test in 2003, and in 2007, Ponting was Harbhajan's bunny.

Harbhajan has got him out FIVE TIMES first ball. And the damning thing is that Harbhajan was horrible in Australia, and took only eight wickets in three Tests - yet three of those were Ponting (he didn't take anybody else's wicket more than once). He doesn't have a problem with spin? :laugh:

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest, Harbhajan played only one Test in 2003, and in 2007, Ponting was Harbhajan's bunny.

Harbhajan has got him out FIVE TIMES first ball. And the damning thing is that Harbhajan was horrible in Australia, and took only eight wickets in three Tests - yet three of those were Ponting (he didn't take anybody else's wicket more than once). He doesn't have a problem with spin? :laugh:
How many did Kumble play? How many did he play against Saqlain? How many did he play against Murali? All the above 3 are better spinners than Harbhajan and yet Ponting does very well against them.

The above is akin to accusing Tendulkar of a problem with pace bowlers because he's failed against Pollock and co.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
OMG! Thats ultra dumb. You are arguing like: Andrew Strauss has played Aussie spinners well barring McGill and Shane Warne. Excuse me, Indian spinners in Ponting age = Bhajji & Kumble. And overseas spinners have never done well in Australia. Thats not due to Ponting. Australian tracks are hardly suited to spin except SCG and that;s why Australia is still struggling to look beyond McGill and Warne.

As regards to your record, who cares? Sachin averages 55+ in Australia and in England. Only SA< Pak and NZ he's got sub 40 average but its still respectable and not like the 12. And had Ponting played in the 90-s against Walsh and Ambrose int heir prime, his nos in Windies would have been still worse.

So get out of your lofty perch and accept the fact. Ponting's dumb against spin in India. And extremely dumb at that.
Your compatriot just gave you a nice answer. Who is better out of Bhajji and Kumble? It's not even a discussion. And how well has Ponting done against Kumble? I recall two double consecutive double centuries? Very well. Not even an argument. I agree, Australian tracks are hard for spin - which is why I think Warne is clearly the best spinner ever - but Sydney is more than suited enough - in fact, he averages 67.25 there against India.

And no, several sub-40 averages (across many times as many tests as Ponting has played in India) is much worse than a single solitary record in one country of averaging poorly. Otherwise, Sobers should pack it up.

To say Ponting has a problem with spin IN India is pointing out the obvious. To call Ponting, in general, a poor player of spin, or to imply he has a problem with it is just...ignorant of the facts.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
6 innings out of 36. Should we list the ones he didn't do well in? That's precisely why he averages only 35 (across his career) against the Saffies.

Do you ever get tired of making Tendulkar look bad?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
6 innings out of 36. Should we list the ones he didn't do well in? That's precisely why he averages only 35 (across his career) against the Saffies.
Tendulkar has not failed against Pollock, you can call him inconsistent. He scored 2 centuries in Pollock's home country. Ponting has how many ? (Hint :- That Number was given to the world by India)

Do you ever get tired of making Tendulkar look bad?
Well in that case, at least I can't be accused of having a bias toward Tendulkar because he happens to be from my home country.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
but Sydney is more than suited enough - in fact, he averages 67.25 there against India..

So Sydney in 2000 was helpful to spinners ? It basically tells how much cricket you have actually watched, it is very close to the no. of test 100s Ponting has scored in India.

Even the 2004 and 2008 pitches were flatter than ever and Ponting still averaged a sub par 32 in those two tests.