• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting vs. Brian Lara

Who is/was the better batsman?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To keep the recent trend of polls up, I though I'd start another one. This is an off shoot of the earlier one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Please no one vote Silentstriker in the poll. Would love seeing that option selected only by SS himself :p

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting.

Simply a better scorer all-round and against everyone. For all the mention that Ponting does much better at home, he averages 51 away. Lara averages 58 at home and 47 away. Ponting has played 15 Tests less and only has 9 50s less in comparison to Brian's 50s/100s.

The gap between them is noticable and if trend is anything to go by it will increase. Simply, put, Ponting is on course to hold most batting records bar average, and he's done it at an incredible rate.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ponting.

Simply a better scorer all-round and against everyone. For all the mention that Ponting does much better at home, he averages 51 away. Lara averages 58 at home and 47 away. Ponting has played 15 Tests less and only has 9 50s less in comparison to Brian's 50s/100s.

The gap between them is noticable and if trend is anything to go by it will increase. Simply, put, Ponting is on course to hold most batting records bar average, and he's done it at an incredible rate.
I think Dravid averages 58 away and 50 at home. Kallis, amazingly, averages 57 away and 57 at home. Would you say they are better? Kallis has played two more Tests and has eight more fifties and three less centuries.

Using all the criteria you mentioned, you could easily make a case for Dravid and Kallis over Ponting (I think Ponting is better than both, but by your criteria...)

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think Dravid averages 58 away and 50 at home. Kallis, amazingly, averages 57 away and 57 at home. Would you say they are better? Kallis has played two more Tests and has eight more fifties and three less centuries.

Using all the criteria you mentioned, you could easily make a case for Dravid and Kallis over Ponting (I think Ponting is better than both, but by your criteria...)
No, that isn't my criteria as to why Ponting is better. There are many reasons to list. I just put that in becuse in the Richards V Tendulkar thread it was mentioned.

Actually, their away records are heavily influenced by Bang/Zim - take them out and things look more accurate IMO. Whilst Dravid is seriously one of the great away players of all time, his home record is 46. Kallis' recorded is heavily inflated by Bang/Zim. He drops from 57 to 51-52 disregarding those figures. It's also ideal to look at how many times they played against each opposition away. Also, if you add Ponting's games on neutral grounds, on the reason that it was not home, to his away record then he overtakes Kallis just slightly here too.

But again, it's not that single criteria that splits them. Well, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
So Dravid gets censured for averaging 46 at home? Damned as a privileged flat track bully if an Indian averages 50+ at home, and damned as a poor batsman if he averages 46 at home. Also scary to imagine how much better Kallis the batsman would have been if he hadn't had to bowl for a huge part of his career.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Both Lara and Ponting adept at cashing in on flat tracks at home. Can't make a just comparison until Ponting reveals the course of his twilight years.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So Dravid gets censured for averaging 46 at home? Damned as a privileged flat track bully if an Indian averages 50+ at home, and damned as a poor batsman if he averages 46 at home.
I find that funny too. I still think Ponting is better than Dravid though - and I think a whole level better, but I don't really care about his home average. It's still a very good average and we have plenty of FTB's who'll cash in at home.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I find that funny too. I still think Ponting is better than Dravid though - and I think a whole level better, but I don't really care about his home average. It's still a very good average and we have plenty of FTB's who'll cash in at home.
To average 46 at home, regardless where home is, for this calibre of player is not strong. Would you agree?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, that's a bit harsh. 46 is a good average anywhere, just not an amazing one.
Yes, but that's the whole point, we're comparing the absolute best of the past 10+ years. To simply have a good average like 46 is weaker in comparison to his contemporaries. Just as a simple comparison against one of your comtemporaries against a certain opposition it is not flattering; but to have that as your home record, where you play about half your games, is even less flattering.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To average 46 at home, regardless where home is, for this calibre of player is not strong. Would you agree?
No, its not a great average, of course. But to me, it doesn't matter as we have enough FTBs. But as I said, Ponting is better, even though his away record is less than Dravid because the sheer weight of his runs in a lot of places is hard to ignore, especially at home. And Ponting has a good average away too, just not as good as Dravid's or someone like that. Though I find it interesting that Dravid's home score averages about 5 less than Ponting's away, and Ponting's away score is about 5 less than Dravid's home. Though obviously, in Australia, Ponting is an amazing batsman.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yes, but that's the whole point, we're comparing the absolute best of the past 10+ years. To simply have a good average like 46 is weaker in comparison to his contemporaries. Just as a simple comparison against one of your comtemporaries against a certain opposition it is not flattering; but to have that as your home record, where you play about half your games, is even less flattering.
Can't argue with this itbt.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just as a simple comparison against one of your comtemporaries against a certain opposition it is not flattering; but to have that as your home record, where you play about half your games, is even less flattering.
For the record, Dravid has only played 42% of his games at home, and 58% away.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
For the record, Dravid has only played 42% of his games at home, and 58% away.
Hence "about half". And generally, it is "about half" for most players to play at home. Some a bit more, some a bit less, but round about half - huge sample.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hence "about half". And generally, it is "about half" for most players to play at home. Some a bit more, some a bit less, but round about half - huge sample.
I didn't disagree with you, I just wanted to point out he has played about 18-20 more Tests away :).

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't disagree with you, I just wanted to point out he has played about 18-20 more Tests away :).
That's probably why his overall average is an impressive 55 - he's made up for it away.

Actually, one may make the argument that whilst India has always had players performing at home - hence less important - his away form is what sets him clear as very few Indians have done as well away, and hence he was there when his team needed him most.