• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you pick to bat for your life?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The first day, they would face an attack of Marshall, McGrath, Ambrose and Lillee on a green, bouncy, seaming pitch. The second day would be rained out and on the third day the wicket morphs into a sticky wicket of old, and you have to face an attack of Underwood, Warne, Murali, and one of the fast bowlers above.

Obviously the odds are way against you, and even the best partnership may have only 1% chance to survive, but if you had to pick the people with the best chance of doing it, who would it be?

1. Scenario 1: Their job is to not get out for two days. Runs are unimportant, they just cannot get out.
  2. Scenario 2: Their job is to score a double century each in those two days. They may get out after scoring a double.
  3. Scenario 3: Pick the same two above scenarios but the players can't be from the country you support (and can't be Bradman).

Which ones would you pick for each scenario? Oh, and you can't pick Bradman. Remember, pick two people per scenario. You may pick the same people for each scenario if you wish, or different ones.

So you could now have up to eight names (four players for each of the first two, and then four more players for the same two - though players could obviously repeat).

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hobbs
Boycott

S. Waugh
Graeme Pollock (despite a weaknes to the ball turning sharply away from him)

I think the first set of players speak for themselves. The 2nd set is a 'feel' selection that Im not going to try and justify apart from it feels right. No doubt there are other worthy candidates I have passed over.

JBH001

International Regular
Scenario 1: Hobbs and Barrington.

Dont know about scenario 2, will need to think about it a little.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Scenario 1: Hanif Mohammad and Shivnarine Chanderpaul.

Mohammad has done it before, so he's the obvious choice. And Chanderpaul bats for long enough when he needs to score runs. Give him the assurance of a solid and immovable partner and the opportunity to rule runscoring out of the equation and he could bat for a month if he had to.

Scenario 2: Brian Lara and Walter Hammond

Damn you for ruling out Bradman on this one! Without him in the equation, Brian Lara is the only obvious choice that comes to mind. He showed so many times that, outside of Bradman, he was the master of the double hundred. And his powers against spin were, IMO, entirely unmatched. After much thought I realized that Walter Hammond was possibly just as obvious a choice, having scored 8 double hundred (including a triple). Until recently I'd also have backed Rahul Dravid, Kumar Sangakkara and Ricky Ponting.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Scenario 1: Javid Maindad and Inzi

Scenario 2: Lara and Sachin.

some people may choose Kallis and Dravid.. on that case the question is can they make double centuris in two days.. i highly doubt that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Scenario 3: Pick the same two above scenarios but the players can't be from the country you support (and can't be bradman). (I'll edit my original post).

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scenario 3: Pick the same two above scenarios but the players can't be from the country you support (and can't be bradman). (I'll edit my original post).
Ok

Hanif, Dravid, tough because many contenders from England for this.

Javed Miandad, Sobers

Last edited: