• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vivian Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was the better Test match batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archie mac

International Coach
Almost voted for Boycott. :p I think I know which way this'll go, and yes, it would likely have been different in 2002. But that's cricket :). In 2002, everyone including Steve Waugh, Ponting, Sobers, and most of the other greats were calling him best since Bradman. His last 3-4 years haven't been as good as his first 12, so his star has waned in people's eyes.
I still would have voted Viv, and tbh Sachin has not gone down in my esteem in the last few years:)

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Dude, if Richards were playing now he would be getting many of those endorsements too .... and I do remember watching a few of Richards ads, so it's not like he never did ads

I hope this is not a case of voting against Tendulkar then voting for Richards
In a sense it is not like Tendulkar got forced into taking up these endorsements and Sir Viv is lucky he is from a time where the apparent need to do so was not so inherent in cricket or any other sport. The level its been pushed to nowadays is enough to cloud my view on any sporting 'talent' of this generation, besides making me utterly :sick:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apart from the fact that's pretty silly IMO, it's something which has absolutely zero impact upon someone's skill as a batsman. I'm not asking who furthered the game of cricket's cause most - though fair to say that both of them score perhaps as high as one can score in terms of that.

I'm afraid we're going to have to discount your vote if that's the basis for it TBH.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Apart from the fact that's pretty silly IMO, it's something which has absolutely zero impact upon someone's skill as a batsman. I'm not asking who furthered the game of cricket's cause most - though fair to say that both of them score perhaps as high as one can score in terms of that.

I'm afraid we're going to have to discount your vote if that's the basis for it TBH.
What I am saying is though Sachin Tendulkar is indeed a great batsman I find myself in a position where I feel his ability as a cricketer is eclipsed by his worth as a living marketing device and its hard to tell where the idolation for the cricketing ends and where the celebration of his marketability begins. Otherwise I would have voted Boycott...or maybe I am reading too much Leo Lowenthalle...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it's fair to say that those on CW pay little to no attention to the latter and plenty and plenty to the former.

ret

International Debutant
In a sense it is not like Tendulkar got forced into taking up these endorsements and Sir Viv is lucky he is from a time where the apparent need to do so was not so inherent in cricket or any other sport. The level its been pushed to nowadays is enough to cloud my view on any sporting 'talent' of this generation, besides making me utterly :sick:
thats totally irrelevant to the topic .... but yeah, i would not mind him or anybody doing endorsements as long as their cricket is not affected .... Sachin has been one of the most level-headed players considering the fame that he has got, he is also known to make secret donations to help the poor

with the kind of mindset that you have shown, I m glad that you dint vote for SRT

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Viv for me.

That being said, for people that talk about Sachin's last 5 years, why ignore Viv's last 5 years? Because he was cool?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Richards walks in. Not sure Tendulkar is even the best in his era.
That's a stupid argument then.

What if Lara is better than Sachin AND Viv? It has no affect on whether Sachin is better than Viv.

Eg. I don't even think Akram was the best fast bowler of his era (I'd rank McGrath), yet that doesn't mean Akram can't be better than Lillee does it?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No one has claimed that post 2000, he has been the batsman he was in the 90s. But neither was Richards later in his career - and did much worse than Tendulkar in fact.
For the last 7-8 years though?

This is a difficult one. For Tendulkar's average to have dropped to 46 this century (hardly horrible though), when so many talk about rubbish attacks this century, how easy pitches are now, bats have come on in power, ropes are in, outfields are like lightning, bowlers only have one leg, fielders only throw under arm and drop catches at will and generally nothing after 1 January 2001 is any good about the game at all, means he may well have been in decline for a while.

By the same token, he's played so much cricket for so long that until I read this thread I hadn't realised his average this decade had dropped to that extent, and he's still a joy to watch imo.

Viv certainly had a sharp decline in his later years, but I don't think you can say that because he had such a strong line up he could bat how he wanted, whereas Tendulkar couldn't. Whether you've got Lloyd, Richardson, Haynes and Greenidge or not, if a fella's bowling to you at 90 mph or if he's spinning it square, you've still got to be good to dominate - and both these guys have in their own eras. Indeed, India's strength in the middle order for the last several years (Ganguly, Dravid, Laxman, then the advent of Dhoni) seems to have coincided with the slide in his average.

I wouldn't put the bowling of the 70s and 80s all that far behind that in the 90s either. I'd concede the 90s was a stronger decade, but not by a massive margin. Pakistan had Imran and Sarfraz, England had Botham and Willis, Australia (for part of the time) had Lillee, then McDermott, Lawson et al, NZ had Hadlee, India Kapil and some really good spinners too. Of course, there was no SA at all for Viv to compare, and when they came back they were pretty good from ball one. Then again, Viv didn't get a crack at the Zimbobs or the Bangers, so when he played he was nearly always up against established test sides.

I would also suggest that one mght wish to factor in the relative pitches. Richards' home pitches in the 70s and 80s had more in them than Sachin's home decks in the 90s and 00s.

Really, both are master batsmen, but their mastery is expressed differently. Richards was not averse to playing in a non-text book fashion, and while Tendulkar can do the same, I don't think I've ever seen a bat which looks wider when it plays straight than his. Tendulkar is a more compact player, and perhaps becasue of this his attacks don't look as savage as those of Richards, or indeed others like Botham and Gilchrist. Still, watch how quickly the ball races over the ground when Tendulkar goes hard. There's not that much between them really.

I've seen both play a fair bit, and stylistic issues aside, I really find it very, very difficult to split them at all.

Despite having splinters in my arse from sitting on the fence on this one, it's where I'm gonna stay. Too hard.

archie mac

International Coach
That's a stupid argument then.

What if Lara is better than Sachin AND Viv? It has no affect on whether Sachin is better than Viv.

Eg. I don't even think Akram was the best fast bowler of his era (I'd rank McGrath), yet that doesn't mean Akram can't be better than Lillee does it?
:-O :@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting averages 64 since the turn of the century and when he held a stable position in the 90s he averaged 51. And in the 90s, he belted the two best bowling attacks Tendulkar failed to get above 40 with. There should be no more talk of Ponting being merely near them, in fact, it it's getting more to be the other way. For someone who values consistency as well as flair, then Ponting's record should be likened to your favourite McGrath's. Once his record in India rises to above 40 runs average, there is pretty much nothing that can be held against him. In fact, if Ponting keeps going the way he has been, I can very easily call him the best bar Bradman.
Best since Bradman doesn't struggle against Praveen Kumar mate.

See its very easy to pick on a batsman when they're not scoring isn't it?

Funny how all the praise that Ponting got from 03-06 has fallen away drastically over the last few months. He's copping exactly what Sachin and Lara did in their periods of low scoring, when people funnily enough forget how masterful they were a mere year or two earlier.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I knew someone would jump on that.

I don't believe Akram to be better than Lillee (just like I don't think Tendulkar was better than Viv), but just because Akram isn't better than McGrath (or Tendulkar may not be better than Lara), doesn't mean he's not better than Lillee (or Tendulkar isn't better than Viv).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hobbs and Bradman played a Test against each other. So Hobbs isn't better than Bradman, that doesn't mean he can't be better than Lara.

funnygirl

State Regular
To demolish pacers it is King Viv .To demolish spinners it is SRT . I prefer some one who can demolish quicks ,so King Viv .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best since Bradman doesn't struggle against Praveen Kumar mate.

See its very easy to pick on a batsman when they're not scoring isn't it?

Funny how all the praise that Ponting got from 03-06 has fallen away drastically over the last few months. He's copping exactly what Sachin and Lara did in their periods of low scoring, when people funnily enough forget how masterful they were a mere year or two earlier.
Likewise though, would a truly great player struggle in this supposedly easy era?
It's not my view btw, I'm just using it as an extension of the point you made.
Edit: you're right too - very fickle we are - quickly forgeeting how good people are when they have a spell which merely illustrates that they're human after all :).