• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vivian Richards vs Sachin Tendulkar

Who was the better Test match batsman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with every word of what you say and I dont dispute Ponting's credential's as a batsman. Neither did I start the whole Ponting in 90s discussion. It was started by KaZoh0lic to continue his ever lasting obsession of making people accept Ponting as the best batsman since Bradman. Him saying that Ponting was as good as Tendulkar in 90s is a joke.

I dont remember saying that Ponting's average in the 90s was because he faced crap bowling, I did say that he didn't have as great success against the Pakistani attack as KaZoh0lic was trying to portray. In 99 series, Ponting was out for 3 ducks in a row and only an 197 in WACA really overstates Ponting's so called dominance of pakistani pace attack, similar to Tendulkar's performance in the 2003-2004 Aus series where he failed for the most part, but in Sydney scored 300 runs which inflated his avg in the series.
If you agree with what Burgey is saying then you're essentially agreeing with what I am saying. I am not arguing anything for Ponting, just against Tendulkar. This doesn't even have anything to do with Ponting, more to do with the exaggeration of Tendulkar in the 90s. Not just Tendulkar, Lara too. He did just as bad as Sachin against Pakistan and S.Africa but did well against Australia, and of course couldn't face his own attack. I mean, these are Mohammad Yousuf-like stats. Clubbed the rest but poor against Australia and S.Africa. In fact, the most complete performance, all-round, belongs to Waugh. His lowest is 37 against the Pakistan and every other attack he is more than respectable against.

I, of course, never said Ponting was as good as Tendulkar in the 90s. I said his form at the turn of the century has been just as good as Tendulkar's in the 90s.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Can you point out a player who's career average is above 50 and have played 8+ games in a particular country and still avg less than 13 in that country

think theres is no one like that except one player ..would be happy to be proven wrong though
Are you talking about Sobers?

Because if you're talking about Ponting, he does poorly against one team in their country only. Everything else is above question. If he adds 1.7 to his England average and 1 to his India average...he averages at least 50 against every test nation. No modern batsmen's figures come in the vicinity of that consistent run scoring.

biased indian

International Coach
Are you talking about Sobers?

Because if you're talking about Ponting, he does poorly against one team in their country only. Everything else is above question. If he adds 1.7 to his England average and 1 to his India average...he averages at least 50 against every test nation. No modern batsmen's figures come in the vicinity of that consistent run scoring.
@ home he is good i know 20 out 34 centuries(split neutral 2) and 27 of 39 fiftes ... there are many other batsmen like that..i am saying about his away record

ponting avg 12.8 against india in away condtion in 8 test in 14 inngs ....
the best team he has played during his playing career..if we go by the result between the 2 sides

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@ home he is good i know 20 out 34 centuries(split neutral 2) and 27 of 39 fiftes ... there are many other batsmen like that..i am saying about his away record

the best team he has played during his playing career..if we go by the result between the 2 sides
Nah, England 2005 was the best team he's played against.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member

That's true, but that is pretty much the only flaw he has - the India figure that is. With regards to away record, Ponting averages 51 away. He has 19 centuries home, 2 neutral and 13 away. But he has also played less away tests. In percentage wise, Ponting scores as many centuries at home as he does away. it's the 50s that are the difference. Take a look overall, Ponting has only that flaw. And besides that (also disregarding Zimbabwe since it was only 1 test and not a real sample) Ponting averages 42 in England and above 50 everywhere else. :laugh: I really urge you to look at his incredible record.

Also, Australia/S.Africa are some of the more friendly seaming/lively pitches around the world. The sub-continent has the deadest pitches where draws are played out more. So if anything, if his home was in the sub-continent he'd probably score even more.

Oh and India are nowhere near the best team he has faced. We're talking about batting, so we're assuming bowlers are what concern him in the opposition most and India are not that great - although getting better.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting was nowhere close to Tendulkar in 90s. Based on his performance in 90s only Ponting wouldn't make it to top 100 batsman of all time whereas based on 90s performance, Tendulkar would be sitting comfortably next to Sir Don.
And that has nothing to do with how Ponting did against S.Africa and Pakistan. For Sachin had been playing years where Ponting was still rather new. That's like saying Steyn is as good as Donald (had they played in the 90s and within the same perimeters).

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
Also, Australia/S.Africa are some of the more friendly seaming/lively pitches around the world. The sub-continent has the deadest pitches where draws are played out more. So if anything, if his home was in the sub-continent he'd probably score even more.
Then why the hell he failed in india ???? :)

Oh and India are nowhere near the best team he has faced. We're talking about batting, so we're assuming bowlers are what concern him in the opposition most and India are not that great - although getting better.
with such poor bowlers how was india able to win so many games aganist Australia when no other team in the world with far superior bowlers than india failed ????

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I presume your are refering to Australia & WI here & in the 90s from my memory i don;t see how he failed againts them TBH even if he wasn't exactly prolific.

With his record vs AUS in the 90s he faced solid all-round attack on in boths tours to AUS in 99/00 & 91/92 (although Warne was either a novice or not at his best) but he didn't fail.

Vs the WI he did well againts a weakened attack in 94 & did ok in 97. So failure is a harsh term IMO.
Sorry mate, I worded it wrong, I was talking about the best pace attacks. At the time, S.Africa and Pakistan were a step above.

Against Australia/Windies, as you mentioned, he's often had weakened attacks to face, but when they were strong in the few tests in the 90s, he did very well so I give him credit.

The real issue is that today, if a batsman is poor against 2/4 bowling powers of his day, he is not in the same league as these guys...who were also poor againast 2/4 bowling powers of the day. Seems hypocritical to me.

As i just said the 99 vs AUS he faced pretty much a full-strenght Australian bowling attack and batted pretty well from my memory even without an injured Gillespie since Fleming & Kasper were very capable back-ups.
Yes, full except Gillespie and that's only 2 tests. But still, let's give that to him as I have no problem with saying he did well against Australia in the 90s as he's always done well.

But thats a useless argument given the Ponting in the 90s was not even half the batsman he was from leeds 2001 to now regardless of the quality of bowling or pitches blah blah blah..
I am not arguing that mate, I am clarifying my post to some people who think it's a matter of bias that I argue for Ponting and against Tendulkar. Ponting just happens to be the best example of a player who hit his stride post 2000 and no matter what he does is somehow not in the same category as Lara and Sachin, and sometimes Waugh.

You just had to see Tendulkar & Lara bat in the 90s to know that they were better than him & this is coming from one of biggest Ponting fans on this site.
I agree, they were great, and I watched more tests in the 90s than any other era. But what Ponting has done in the 2000s is nothing short of what the others did in the 90s, absolutely nothing. Argue Tendulkar has better technique, Lara more flair, and that's fine. But that's not my point.

Ponting may have been superb ever since Steve Waugh sent him up to bat @ number 3 in the Leeds test of 2001. But the fact the he has cashed in tremendously on some poor attacks & averaged so high can'tbe taken lightly dawg. The only real challenging attacks all-round attacks (pace/spin) Ponting has faced since 2001 has been in the 2005 Ashes & vs SA in 05/06 & SRI 04 vs Vaas/Murali so that is very significant.
But here's the funny thing, he actually did very well in the 90s against the very 2 attacks that the others failed against :laugh: . So that's no excuse, even if it were true! And if it is, it makes Tendulkar/Lara look very bad. Take out minnows and post 2000 Ponting scores almost 20 runs more on average. This is simply not a number you can ignore.

You may say that Lara & Tendy has faced the same bowlers this era & have averaged less but thats just statiscal evidence which doesn't tell you that Tendulkar had his tennis elbow woes for a good few years & people were saying he was past it & Lara had period out of the game because of stress. I really shudder to think what Tendy & Lara could have done if they had such an ease during the 90s.
That's a mitigating factor, certainly, but the difference between Tendulkar and a Ponting is absolutely huge.

Sachin has averaged 54 in the 2000s era but as i just said stats would not tell you everything about.

From that SCG test vs AUS to the Trinidad test vs WI Tendulkar of the 90s was still in full flow but then he suddenly had a problem againts Pedro Collins, then came his tennis elbow woes which led to his form did although he still managed to cash in on the average attacks on show and for me the recent series vs AUS was probably the best Tendulkar has looked since 2001 when IND played both AUS & ENG.
8 points of his average come from Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. Without them, Tendulkar averages 46 in the 2000s.

Lara since 2000 statiscally averages 54 but that wouldn't tell you that the 6 months he took away from the game given the stress of WI cricket when he came back vs ENG in 2000 it took up until the 2001 tour to SRI to really rekindle himself to inconsistent but magnificent Lara of the 90s & averaged 60 & being a big Ponting fan & all still rathered watching Lara bat this era.
Lara averages 54 post 2000 and without Bang/Zim he averages about 53.5. Lara has done very well for someone aging and having to shoulder a continually weak team.

biased indian

International Coach
That's true, but that is pretty much the only flaw he has - the India figure that is. With regards to away record, Ponting averages 51 away. He has 19 centuries home, 2 neutral and 13 away. But he has also played less away tests. In percentage wise, Ponting scores as many centuries at home as he does away. it's the 50s that are the difference. Take a look overall, Ponting has only that flaw. And besides that (also disregarding Zimbabwe since it was only 1 test and not a real sample) Ponting averages 42 in England and above 50 everywhere else. :laugh: I really urge you to look at his incredible record.
21 out of his 45 away games are aganist india and england and he avg below 42 aganist them..

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Haha no.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie.. i think Kaz is refering to Sachin's poor record against South Africa and i assume the second best attack he's refering to Pakistan.... those are the 2 teams he had lowest avg against.
I don't understand this point when some1 says "that batsman's record against the best bowling attacks is not as good as that against the rest"....That is natural, isn't it? None is expected to play better against Mcgrath, Akram, Donald and Murali than against Henry Olonga and Mohammad Rafique...Will you play better against test-level bowlers than when you played against the neighbour school-team?...If you do then that's only an exception...

I find this argument utterly childish and foolish.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Then why the hell he failed in india ???? :)
Because he failed in India. More to do with Ponting's batting than India's bowling.

with such poor bowlers how was india able to win so many games aganist Australia when no other team in the world with far superior bowlers than india failed ????
You've not won many. But the reason for that is more attributed to your quality batting. 3/5 wins are games of huge scores where your batsmen have pretty much won it for you.

If you don't remember well, we actually lost a series to England not so long ago. You guys have 1 more win than them.

biased indian

International Coach
Another intresting Stat

Last 12 months avg of sachin and ponting
Sachin 61 vs Ponting 45

i know it doest say anything much but some time stats can be mis leading thats all....

biased indian

International Coach
Because he failed in India. More to do with Ponting's batting than India's bowling.

You've not won many. But the reason for that is more attributed to your quality batting. 3/5 wins are games of huge scores where your batsmen have pretty much won it for you.

If you don't remember well, we actually lost a series to England not so long ago. You guys have 1 more win than them.
i dont know where u got you fig from
Ponting has lost 16 test matches in his career....

8 against india and 8 aganist other 8 team put together does that tell you anything ?????

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
21 out of his 45 away games are aganist india and england and he avg below 42 aganist them..
21 of his 48 games (not home) are from India and England yes. He averages 42 against England, which is not poor at all. 12 against India is poor. But that's one country, in the rest he has scored so well his overall away average is 51.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
i dont know where u got you fig from
Ponting has lost 16 test matches in his career....

8 against india and 8 aganist other 8 team put together does that tell you anything ?????
I am not talking about Ponting, I was talking about Australia as a whole - and I was counting from the start of 2000.

Ponting obviously has an issue against India in India. That doesn't mean the rest of the Australian batsmen do.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't understand this point when some1 says "that batsman's record against the best bowling attacks is not as good as that against the rest"....That is natural, isn't it? None is expected to play better against Mcgrath, Akram, Donald and Murali than against Henry Olonga and Mohammad Rafique...Will you play better against test-level bowlers than when you played against the neighbour school-team?...If you do then that's only an exception...

I find this argument utterly childish and foolish.
Some will, some won't. The best will, the lesser mortals won't.