• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden - Editor's comment

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Funny, they showed the Afridi-Gambhir incident on Sky News when I was at the gym earlier today, then Scyld (pronounced Shild) Berry (who I've never actually seen before - he's a good 10 years younger than I'd always imagined) speaking to someone. My first thought was "eh? Why on Earth are they showing something from a year ago then interviewing Wisden's stand-in editor?" Then it occurred to me that it was around Wisden publishing time. For the last 3 years I've ordered the book before it was on retail sale.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You're lucky you weren't around in the so-called Wave Of Repression. Things like "poo" and "BS" were filtered.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway.......

I reckon Scyld is suffering from Henny Penny-ism as far as physical confrontation on the field. I've said many times before, the potential for it to occur has been greater in the past and, apart from a DKL fairy tap, it's failed to materialise. It's not as if shoulder taps like the aforementioned Gambhir/Afridi confrontation hasn't happened in a Test or ODI before. Even when Roshan Mahanama deliberately dropped his shoulder against Darren Gough in a ODI in Adelaide, as blatant an incident as I've ever seen against a pretty firey quick bowler, nothing more happened. Not saying it'll never happen but the idea that we're steadily building to a punch-up on the field, like some global cricket thermometer is gradually rising, is alarmist.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The Afridi-Gambhir thing was a bit more than a "tap" TBH. And while obviously worse happened in that game (not just Mahanama attacking Gough - Stewart decided to return the favour not long after, remember) with every new case it becomes more likely that we'll get a full-on brawl. If nothing of that nature ever happened before it's no bar on it ever happening.

Whether Scyld is right in suggesting it's more common now than ever is a moot-point, but if you keep pushing the boundaries (and allowing them to be pushed) they'll break sometime.