Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar

Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year

http://www.cricketweb.net/articles/E...CIXYCPjg.shtml

Wisden names its Five

Matthew Hayden, Adam Hollioake, Nasser Hussain, Shaun Pollock and Michael Vaughan were today named as Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year. But have they got it right?

Right, let's get one thing sorted before I begin. This article isn't a discussion about whether Tim de Lisle was right to do away with a 53-year-old tradition of having a couple of blokes in Victorian garb who aren't wearing sufficient protective equipment and replace them with English cricket's latest saviour. If you want to listen to people venting their respective spleens over that, then read an English broadsheet. So, the five.

No Test Cricket follower - not even the most biased Indian or Australian - will begrudge Michael Vaughan his place amongst the five on the back of some of the most scintillating strokeplay to come from an England batsman since Angus Fraser hit Muralitharan for six at the Oval in 1999. And possibly further ago than that. Similarly, Matthew Hayden spent the majority of the year atop of the PwC Test Rankings and treated the best that the world's bowlers could throw at him with disdain.

Shaun Pollock kept the South African side together in the run-up to the World Cup and guided them to the top of the ICC Test Championship - for however much that's worth - whilst maintaining averages in both disciplines that bettered the great Ian Botham. Were it not for a quite dismal World Cup - for which Pollock was, in many people's opinions, made an undeserving scapegoat for, then I sincerely doubt that his selection would be quibbled by anyone.

Adam Hollioake is next on the list, and this may seem a surprise to many. Not so, I say. To come back from the death of your brother, and then lead your side to another County Championship title, takes something special. And to do it by playing cricket in a positive, aggressive way is better still. And then to maintain personal averages of 67 with the bat in the County Championship, including a career-best 208, and 35 batting coupled to an incredible 15 with the ball in List A matches puts the icing on the cake. His deserved selection ought to prove the catalyst to his selection as England's ODI captain - but I'll broach that subject when the ECB once again display their incompetence and select Vaughan, who has far less experience at captaincy, and is not as strong a one-day player as Hollioake (at present, anyway).

Nasser, however, is a completely different story. His time was two years ago, after the return to winning ways in Summer 2000 and glorious tours to Sri Lanka and Pakistan. But no, Mark Alleyne, Martin Bicknell, Andy Caddick, Justin Langer and Darren Lehmann got the nods - Nasser's batting let him down there. And now, after a year which yielded more Test runs than you thought it did (993 @ 43.17), he's given the accolade for the work that he's done with the England team over the last four years. Excuse me, but I thought it was "Cricketer of the YEAR". Yes, Nasser deserves one. But doesn't an award out of sympathy just devalue the whole idea?

Notwithstanding Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist both averaging above 70 in 2002's Test Matches, there are two words that best sum up the reason that Nasser's selection is flawed. Those words are "Rahul" and "Dravid". In two overseas series, in the Caribbean and England, he held the line-up together more than once. A few aberrations in New Zealand can be forgiven, after all, the other four have been far from perfect. When Ajay Ratra's incompetence led to Dravid's run out on 217 at Headingley, a commentator remarked that it was the only way that England were going to get him. It was the third in his run of four consecutive Test Match centuries, and if that's not good enough for a Cricketer of the Year award, then what on earth is?

Wisden may or may not have got it right with the change of the cover design. But there will be far less complete support for its selection here. Who'll be next, Ajit Agarkar?

Over to you...
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 30-04-2003 at 02:58 PM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Pinball Champion!
    Hmm I dont agree with many of them! Although it would be hard to chose 5 cricketers when there is so much talent around...

What is Hussain doing in there??????

My five would be

1.Ricky Ponting
    2.Adam Gilchrist
    3.Adam Hollioake
    4.Makhaya Ntini
    5.Shane Bond
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

PY
    No Vaughan :O:O:O that can only be regarded as criminal.

N.B. The nominations are September 2001 to September 2002 supposedly. I just heard the Editor of Wisden saying it is for duties to English cricket. Hussain did get 3 centuries and 6 half-centuries in that time but still.....bit odd
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Re: Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
    Wisden may or may not have got it right with the change of the cover design. But there will be far less complete support for its selection here. Who'll be next, Ajit Agarkar?[/B]
    Don't be ridiculous, AA will be the Wisden Greatest Cricketer Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    very very close friend of mine is an Arab Christian and he speaks Arabic too and the visible hidden filth shows the mentality which may never change .....
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ View Post
    AAooouchh !!!!!
    I still remember that zipper accident of mine when I was in kindergarten ..... (Thing is OK I repeat thing is OK now )!!!

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Originally posted by Langeveldt
    Hmm I dont agree with many of them! Although it would be hard to chose 5 cricketers when there is so much talent around...

What is Hussain doing in there??????

My five would be

1.Ricky Ponting
    2.Adam Gilchrist
    3.Adam Hollioake
    4.Makhaya Ntini
    5.Shane Bond
    Bond and Ntini have been sporadic at best, where the heck is Vaughan?

Why Ponting/Gilchrist over Hayden?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    What about Chanderpaul? He scored 4 (?) centuries last year to triple his career total. He also did pretty well in the ODI's.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

State Regular
    Wisdon being a symbol of Elite presitege in sports publishing has once again made one simple fact abundantly clear .... That its Edited printed and published in England, Hence the logic for the selections.
    Last edited by Legglancer; 30-04-2003 at 04:20 PM.

Rik
    Originally posted by Legglancer
    Wisdon being a symbol of Elite presitege in publishing has once again made one simple fact abundantly clear .... That its Edited printed and published in England, Hence the logic for the selections.
    Or, maybe without any Racial undertones whatsoever, the reason is purely their lack of any sort of clue generally?
    "Age is just a stupid number"

20...that's a rather big number :(:(:(

Tim
    Bond and Ntini have been sporadic at best
    thats just stupid, Shane Bond is 1 wicket away in ODI's from becoming the one of the fastest bowlers to take 50 wickets.
    He averages 19 at the moment also.

Oh and his test average of 22 ain't half bad either considering two tours he's been on lately to the West Indies & Sri Lanka have hardly been good for pace bowling.

State Vice-Captain The Argonaut's Avatar
    Neil's arguments are well thought out and I agree with most of it. Hussain's selection is a bit of a joke. Surely Dravid, Ponting, Gilchrist and even Chanderpaul were more deserving.

What it also shows is that bowling is hard these days. No bowler made the list. Pollock is a bowling all rounder. In saying that I couldn't think of one that deserved to be on the list. Maybe McGrath but no one else really had a good year.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Up to I think 2 years ago - Wisden's 5 Cricketers of the Year was based solely on performance in the English Season.

Since that rule has changed they've lost their prestige IMO.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

U19 Vice-Captain
    "Or, maybe without any Racial undertones whatsoever, the reason is purely their lack of any sort of clue generally?"

I always considered Wisden to be just another local magazine.

Their five players of the year have never interested me. They should interest any English cricket fan though.

Incidentally, their latest condemnation of ICC was artless...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    "Or, maybe without any Racial undertones whatsoever, the reason is purely their lack of any sort of clue generally?"
    It is probably the most famous annual in any field in the World - and it is a very traditional organisation (until de Lisle took over for one year) - It does cover all world cricket, but there is an emphasis on English Cricket. To accuse it of racism is IMO a bit silly - it has always been based on performances in English seasons up to now, and to me the only really strange selection is possibly Hussain.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    NASSER HUSSAIN :o:o:o i almost had a heart attack thats an absolute joke, the WORST decision ever

1. Michael Vaughan - brilliant batting this year
    2. Matt Hayden - as above
    3. Ricky Ponting - as above and he also skippered the side in ODI's very well
    4. Adam Hollioke - come back and captaincy etc...
    5. Shaun Pollock - Good bowling and captaincy
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Shaun Pollock hasnt made a huge mark with his bowling has he?
    Im not sure what his exploits in county cricket were, but his International games were not great, just normal, what we basically expect from Shaun as a minimum.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information