• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden's Five Cricketers of the Year

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
o ok. well then it is extremely biased towardws English aint it..... i mean Hollioake did extremely well but there r alot of otehrs who did well in DOmestic Cricket.
It's not totally English Biased, I remember a time where I didn't see any English players in the list...

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
My 5 Cricketers of the year would be:

Michael Vaughan (England)
Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Ricky Ponting (Australia)
Rahul Dravid (India)
Adam Hollioake (England)

Vaughan, Hayden, Ponting and Dravid had a superb year with the bat, Hollioake came back a changed player and deserves his spot.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rik said:
Hollioake came back a changed player and deserves his spot.
He deserves every commendation he gets, to come back from such a devastating tragedy...

Speaking of Hollioake, 88 of 87 balls with 13 fours and 1 six against Warwickshire...

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
He deserves every commendation he gets, to come back from such a devastating tragedy...
Yeah but also he came back and batted so well he even commented "that wasn't me out there, I can't bat that well"

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Also people, don't forget you can only be voted it once.
Stupid rule :D Buggers the Dravid case somewhat :) Will look rather silly if Vaughan goes out and blasts a few more 195s this year...

Still, Chanderpaul and Ponting deserve it.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Rik said:
My 5 Cricketers of the year would be:

Michael Vaughan (England)
Matthew Hayden (Australia)
Ricky Ponting (Australia)
Rahul Dravid (India)
Adam Hollioake (England)

Vaughan, Hayden, Ponting and Dravid had a superb year with the bat, Hollioake came back a changed player and deserves his spot.
What about SRT? He ended up with the highest number of runs last year, didn't he? Also, if this is about international cricket, Hollioake isn't even in the picture! If they want to include players who have shone in county cricket, they should have a separate list and not club them with players who have really been brilliant in top level cricket.:!(

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Anil, it's not really based on performances in Internationals (at least it never used to be)

And I'm sure SRT has won it before.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Rik said:
But he's won it before so my spot would go to Chanderpaul.
Yes, by some quirky theory that only Wisden can explain no cricketer can be named twice as Wisden cricketer of the year.So that discounts both Dravid and Sachin as they were Wisden cricketer of the year in the past.

Now that gives rise to the question as to what exactly is the meaning of this "Wisden Cricketer of the year". Surely you cannot say that if one player gets listed once, he has to retire from cricket.He can post performances that eclipse every other cricketer's performances in the years that follow his nomination as "Wisden cricketer of the year". So going by that logic you can have someone listed by Wisden in a particular year as the best, but who is significantly lower in the eyes of most fans as among the best cricketer of the year. That leads to the conclusion that this whole Wisden cricketer of the year is utter nonsense..... although I tend to agree with one or two of their nomincations every year.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
aussie_beater said:
Yes, by some quirky theory that only Wisden can explain no cricketer can be named twice as Wisden cricketer of the year.So that discounts both Dravid and Sachin as they were Wisden cricketer of the year in the past.

Now that gives rise to the question as to what exactly is the meaning of this "Wisden Cricketer of the year". Surely you cannot say that if one player gets listed once, he has to retire from cricket.He can post performances that eclipse every other cricketer's performances in the years that follow his nomination as "Wisden cricketer of the year". So going by that logic you can have someone listed by Wisden in a particular year as the best, but who is significantly lower in the eyes of most fans as among the best cricketer of the year. That leads to the conclusion that this whole Wisden cricketer of the year is utter nonsense..... although I tend to agree with one or two of their nomincations every year.
Totally agree with you.....and atleast one or two nominations would have to make sense, wouldn't it, otherwise everyone who know their cricket would have trashed these awards long ago.

I still don't see the logic of bunching county performances with international ones. That just devalues their selection further!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie_beater said:
It's all a question of tradition, not "quirky theory" - I believe that they've traditionally been Editor's picks, and based only on the Engliush Cricket season.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It's all a question of tradition, not "quirky theory" - I believe that they've traditionally been Editor's picks, and based only on the Engliush Cricket season.
That also makes it clear that it can never be representative of a selection from the cream of the cricketing world too.....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
anilramavarma said:
That also makes it clear that it can never be representative of a selection from the cream of the cricketing world too.....
It was never intended to be that though. It was always to recognise those that wouldn't normally get recognition. The Bicknells of this world

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
It was never intended to be that though. It was always to recognise those that wouldn't normally get recognition. The Bicknells of this world
Oh ok. I get it. It's just that....I haven't followed the Wisden selections that much over the years, but I assumed that it was about the best in the cricketing world as a whole....