Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53

Thread: All hail Dale Steyn

  1. #1
    World Traveller Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Super Happy Fun Sugar Lollipop Land!
    Posts
    34,131

    All hail Dale Steyn

    As he becomes joint number 1 bowler in the world with Murali

    Rankings here as we salute Dan Vettori as the no.1 ODI bowler

    There you go. I'm not sure how much notice you take in them or not, but by just watching cricket alone (forget stats etc.) and in particular the Australian cricket summer, you would say Brett Lee is the best fast bowler in the world in both forms. If he isn't then he did bowl pretty darn well IMO.

    So it is official Dale Steyn > Brett Lee in the rankings but by watching cricket live Lee > everybody else.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

    RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

  2. #2
    cpr
    cpr is offline
    Cricketer Of The Year cpr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,912
    CAnt argue with the fact Steyn has been mightily effective for South Africa (though i dont like the guy, the fact he's one day younger than me makes me feel i've not achieved as much as i could in my years, blows my 'i'm still young' argument out of the water)

    In other news, Sidebottom is in the top 10, thus ending the effective stage of his international career, only another 40 tests before the selectors realise mind.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Steyn and Lee are both irresistable at the moment, and given the rankings are nothing more than a form-guide, not a ranking of "who's best", 'tis fair noof.

    Steyn and Lee's cases aren't directly comparable, as Steyn had a shocking start then became rather sensational; Lee was sensational from his very first game. And Steyn's now played a fair few more than Lee did in his short sensational start. But nonetheless, hopefully Steyn can go on something like this through his career, and end-up a far better Test bowler than Lee.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    CAnt argue with the fact Steyn has been mightily effective for South Africa (though i dont like the guy, the fact he's one day younger than me makes me feel i've not achieved as much as i could in my years, blows my 'i'm still young' argument out of the water)
    I had that exact feeling the first time (2004) I watched u19s and thought "this is my age now WTF?" There's now a fair few players regularly playing international cricket (Rudra Pratap Singh was the first IIRR) who are younger than me.

    'Tis a sobering feeling when "established" (at whatever level) cricketers start being younger than you.


  5. #5
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Steyn and Lee's cases aren't directly comparable, as Steyn had a shocking start then became rather sensational;
    Steyn was more 'raw' than 'shocking' at the start of his career - the talent was always there and was quite evident.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

  6. #6
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,075
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I had that exact feeling the first time (2004) I watched u19s and thought "this is my age now WTF?" There's now a fair few players regularly playing international cricket (Rudra Pratap Singh was the first IIRR) who are younger than me.

    'Tis a sobering feeling when "established" (at whatever level) cricketers start being younger than you.
    Felt like that when watching Cook get his first ton, like I am supposed to be admiring these fellas, but there I am cheering "go on son" (lol).
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Steyn was more 'raw' than 'shocking' at the start of his career - the talent was always there and was quite evident.
    The two aren't mutual-exclusives, though - Steyn was clearly far below the required standard and had any of the several better candidates played in that series against England SA would probably have had a better chance in those 3 Tests.

    While the potential was obvious, it's not a given, at all, that potential like that will be enacted-upon.

  8. #8
    Cricketer Of The Year wpdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    8,838
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I had that exact feeling the first time (2004) I watched u19s and thought "this is my age now WTF?" There's now a fair few players regularly playing international cricket (Rudra Pratap Singh was the first IIRR) who are younger than me.

    'Tis a sobering feeling when "established" (at whatever level) cricketers start being younger than you.
    I remember it well - the first England player to be younger than me was Norman Cowans. Mind you, what'e even worse is getting to the point when you realise there won't be any more older than you. I think Emburey was the last one for me, when he was brought back yet again against WI in 1995.

    As for youg Steyn, I think I'll be hiding behind the sofa when he runs in to (and through) our fragile top order this summer.
    Last edited by wpdavid; 08-04-2008 at 07:38 AM.

  9. #9
    State Captain Nishant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    1,722
    i still reckon that Lee > steyn....simply by watching....although i must say, steyn is definitely in prime form and extremely effective for SA ATM....definitely one for the future.

  10. #10
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,431
    I believe that the illusion that Lee>Steyn is caused by the fact that Lee has played on quicker, bouncier pitches this season, which cause a bowler to 'look good' whereas Steyn has been pitching it up on Asian pitches as well as bossing New Zealand batsmen who have never done well against pace.

  11. #11
    State Captain Nishant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I believe that the illusion that Lee>Steyn is caused by the fact that Lee has played on quicker, bouncier pitches this season, which cause a bowler to 'look good' whereas Steyn has been pitching it up on Asian pitches as well as bossing New Zealand batsmen who have never done well against pace.
    Fair enough...that probably is true....maybe its just necessary to see Steyn perform on different pitches but more importantly, against better opposition.

  12. #12
    Cricketer Of The Year Manee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    8,431
    Perhaps. One thing I have noticed about Steyn is that he gets a disproportionate amount of his wickets against right handed batsman. Being expert at cleaning up the tail is one thing, but he may have a problem against the left handed batsman...

    ...or it could be nothing and I have just happened to miss his wickets against left handers.

  13. #13
    State Captain Nishant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    1,722
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Perhaps. One thing I have noticed about Steyn is that he gets a disproportionate amount of his wickets against right handed batsman. Being expert at cleaning up the tail is one thing, but he may have a problem against the left handed batsman...

    ...or it could be nothing and I have just happened to miss his wickets against left handers.
    dunno abt that...ive never really noticed that trend tbh.....but his ability to clena up the tail is one thing...but a good opening bowler should have the ability to pick up wickets of the top-order. Ive only seen him do it once against the imcompetant india line up in the 1st innings...but in the 2nd, he wasnt able to when the pitch lost a little zip. Has the majority of steyn's wickets been of tail enders?

  14. #14
    FBU
    FBU is offline
    State Vice-Captain FBU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    dunno abt that...ive never really noticed that trend tbh.....but his ability to clena up the tail is one thing...but a good opening bowler should have the ability to pick up wickets of the top-order. Ive only seen him do it once against the imcompetant india line up in the 1st innings...but in the 2nd, he wasnt able to when the pitch lost a little zip. Has the majority of steyn's wickets been of tail enders?
    Top order - 31.6%
    Middle order - 33.3%
    Tail - 35%

    Vaas and McGrath got 41.6% and 40% of the top order.

    LH batsmen - 25.64%
    RH batsmen - 74.35%

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    Fair enough...that probably is true....maybe its just necessary to see Steyn perform on different pitches but more importantly, against better opposition.
    TBH, even though there's been no Tendulkar involved in the last two Tests, he's unlikely to get opposition a hell of a lot stronger than India.

    Certainly don't see England, for instance, coming close to India's skills with the bat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ishant Sharma v. Dale Steyn
    By andruid in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 183
    Last Post: 22-10-2013, 11:43 AM
  2. Is Dale Steyn the new Allan Donald?
    By Craig in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 26-03-2013, 04:23 AM
  3. Lee and Steyn serve up a treat
    By Woodster in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 07:36 AM
  4. Dale Brumby
    By Richard in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 13-02-2006, 03:50 PM
  5. Hail To The King
    By Mr. P in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 30-11-2003, 06:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •