• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All hail Dale Steyn

Craig

World Traveller
As he becomes joint number 1 bowler in the world with Murali

Rankings here as we salute Dan Vettori as the no.1 ODI bowler

There you go. I'm not sure how much notice you take in them or not, but by just watching cricket alone (forget stats etc.) and in particular the Australian cricket summer, you would say Brett Lee is the best fast bowler in the world in both forms. If he isn't then he did bowl pretty darn well IMO.

So it is official Dale Steyn > Brett Lee in the rankings but by watching cricket live Lee > everybody else.

cpr

International Coach
CAnt argue with the fact Steyn has been mightily effective for South Africa (though i dont like the guy, the fact he's one day younger than me makes me feel i've not achieved as much as i could in my years, blows my 'i'm still young' argument out of the water)

In other news, Sidebottom is in the top 10, thus ending the effective stage of his international career, only another 40 tests before the selectors realise mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steyn and Lee are both irresistable at the moment, and given the rankings are nothing more than a form-guide, not a ranking of "who's best", 'tis fair noof.

Steyn and Lee's cases aren't directly comparable, as Steyn had a shocking start then became rather sensational; Lee was sensational from his very first game. And Steyn's now played a fair few more than Lee did in his short sensational start. But nonetheless, hopefully Steyn can go on something like this through his career, and end-up a far better Test bowler than Lee. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
CAnt argue with the fact Steyn has been mightily effective for South Africa (though i dont like the guy, the fact he's one day younger than me makes me feel i've not achieved as much as i could in my years, blows my 'i'm still young' argument out of the water)
I had that exact feeling the first time (2004) I watched u19s and thought "this is my age now :down: WTF?" There's now a fair few players regularly playing international cricket (Rudra Pratap Singh was the first IIRR) who are younger than me.

'Tis a sobering feeling when "established" (at whatever level) cricketers start being younger than you.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn and Lee's cases aren't directly comparable, as Steyn had a shocking start then became rather sensational;
Steyn was more 'raw' than 'shocking' at the start of his career - the talent was always there and was quite evident.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I had that exact feeling the first time (2004) I watched u19s and thought "this is my age now :down: WTF?" There's now a fair few players regularly playing international cricket (Rudra Pratap Singh was the first IIRR) who are younger than me.

'Tis a sobering feeling when "established" (at whatever level) cricketers start being younger than you.
Felt like that when watching Cook get his first ton, like I am supposed to be admiring these fellas, but there I am cheering "go on son" (lol).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steyn was more 'raw' than 'shocking' at the start of his career - the talent was always there and was quite evident.
The two aren't mutual-exclusives, though - Steyn was clearly far below the required standard and had any of the several better candidates played in that series against England SA would probably have had a better chance in those 3 Tests.

While the potential was obvious, it's not a given, at all, that potential like that will be enacted-upon.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

I remember it well - the first England player to be younger than me was Norman Cowans. Mind you, what'e even worse is getting to the point when you realise there won't be any more older than you. I think Emburey was the last one for me, when he was brought back yet again against WI in 1995.

As for youg Steyn, I think I'll be hiding behind the sofa when he runs in to (and through) our fragile top order this summer.

Last edited:

Nishant

International 12th Man
i still reckon that Lee > steyn....simply by watching....although i must say, steyn is definitely in prime form and extremely effective for SA ATM....definitely one for the future.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I believe that the illusion that Lee>Steyn is caused by the fact that Lee has played on quicker, bouncier pitches this season, which cause a bowler to 'look good' whereas Steyn has been pitching it up on Asian pitches as well as bossing New Zealand batsmen who have never done well against pace.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I believe that the illusion that Lee>Steyn is caused by the fact that Lee has played on quicker, bouncier pitches this season, which cause a bowler to 'look good' whereas Steyn has been pitching it up on Asian pitches as well as bossing New Zealand batsmen who have never done well against pace.
Fair enough...that probably is true....maybe its just necessary to see Steyn perform on different pitches but more importantly, against better opposition.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps. One thing I have noticed about Steyn is that he gets a disproportionate amount of his wickets against right handed batsman. Being expert at cleaning up the tail is one thing, but he may have a problem against the left handed batsman...

...or it could be nothing and I have just happened to miss his wickets against left handers.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Perhaps. One thing I have noticed about Steyn is that he gets a disproportionate amount of his wickets against right handed batsman. Being expert at cleaning up the tail is one thing, but he may have a problem against the left handed batsman...

...or it could be nothing and I have just happened to miss his wickets against left handers.
dunno abt that...ive never really noticed that trend tbh.....but his ability to clena up the tail is one thing...but a good opening bowler should have the ability to pick up wickets of the top-order. Ive only seen him do it once against the imcompetant india line up in the 1st innings...but in the 2nd, he wasnt able to when the pitch lost a little zip. Has the majority of steyn's wickets been of tail enders?

FBU

International Debutant
dunno abt that...ive never really noticed that trend tbh.....but his ability to clena up the tail is one thing...but a good opening bowler should have the ability to pick up wickets of the top-order. Ive only seen him do it once against the imcompetant india line up in the 1st innings...but in the 2nd, he wasnt able to when the pitch lost a little zip. Has the majority of steyn's wickets been of tail enders?
Top order - 31.6%
Middle order - 33.3%
Tail - 35%

Vaas and McGrath got 41.6% and 40% of the top order.

LH batsmen - 25.64%
RH batsmen - 74.35%

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair enough...that probably is true....maybe its just necessary to see Steyn perform on different pitches but more importantly, against better opposition.
TBH, even though there's been no Tendulkar involved in the last two Tests, he's unlikely to get opposition a hell of a lot stronger than India.

Certainly don't see England, for instance, coming close to India's skills with the bat.

Slifer

International Captain
What better opposition? India easily has the second best batting line up atm and are even more difficult to dislodge at home. My hats offf to Steyn job well done.

irfan

State Captain
Lee's most probably a better quick than Steyn ATM, but I wouldn't be surprised if that gap rapidly closes. Lee's better because he knows how to bowl defensively and can set batsman up more cleverly (Atapattu, Tendulkar etc) than Steyn. Steyn's modus operandi is usually to either bounce out tailenders or bowl those magic banana benders and yorkers rather than rely on consistent line and length.

If both go through a bad trot you'd back Lee to pull through it because his method is more tried and tested. That being said, for an out and out striker Steyn's stats are magnificent an average of 21 and a strike rate in the mid 30s (all-time best post covered pitches.) There has been a bit of talk on the boards on Steyn still having to prove himself.
43 wickets in 8 tests should dispel the ' he can't bowl on subcontinental pitches' myth. For me, to prove he's a world class quick he has to go to Australia and get 10+ wickets at a sub-30 avg. If he can do that, there will be no stopping him.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Surely even if he doesn't perform all that well in South Africa you can't really write him off. I don't think (not 100% sure) that Lee has that good of a record in England or in the subcontinent. ATM, Steyn is averaging sub in the Indian series and with one more game to go, if he can remain under 25, which is highly likely, he is one his way to being better than Lee.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TBH, even though there's been no Tendulkar involved in the last two Tests, he's unlikely to get opposition a hell of a lot stronger than India.

Certainly don't see England, for instance, coming close to India's skills with the bat.
What better opposition? India easily has the second best batting line up atm and are even more difficult to dislodge at home. My hats offf to Steyn job well done.
I don't know about that. Jaffer's a walking wicket. Sehwag is hit and miss. Dravid is out of form. Dhoni can't buy a run. And Ganguly and Laxman are Ganguly and Laxman - relatively inconsistent.

I'd pick the English lineup, on form. With Tendulkar in, It would be much more even.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
I don't know about that. Jaffer's a walking wicket. Sehwag is hit and miss. Dravid is out of form. Dhoni can't buy a run. And Ganguly and Laxman are Ganguly and Laxman - relatively inconsistent.

I'd pick the English lineup, on form. With Tendulkar in, It would be much more even.
Jaffer: always been solid in India. Coming of 70 odd.
Sehwag: coming off 300
Dravid: one of the best batsmen in the modern era
Laxman: great Australian summer
Ganguly: meh
Dhoni: always been good in challenging situations*

* Of late it has been only in the ODI format. I do wonder if Kathik would do a better job.