• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off-Season Thread 2008

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I may be accused of bias but i believe Siddle was pretty stiff to miss out.
I guess it depends. On potential, yeah maybe. But I reckon that he'd have to get through the best part of a whole season to get a guernsey with CA, which he hasn't done yet.

howardj

International Coach
Rogers had to go - he was never marketable.

Red hair, freckle face and bespectacled.

It was a bad package.

How do you sell that to the public at large, let alone the corporates?

howardj

International Coach
I guess it depends. On potential, yeah maybe. But I reckon that he'd have to get through the best part of a whole season to get a guernsey with CA, which he hasn't done yet.
Siddle needs to lose the man boobs for starters. Shocked and surprised when I watched the Pura Final tbh.

howardj

International Coach
Like Gillespie last year, Hodgey got the sympathy, one for the road, contract. At 33, and you've just missed out on another overseas trip, what odds another Baggygreen? Write your own ticket, I'd suggest.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

It was a bad package.

Depends on whether they were looking to give him a job as a cricketer or in their IT department, really.

Josh

International Regular
Supposedly Lewis will be going to play at Caulfield, where Shaun Graf (who is Cricket Operations Manager at Cricket Victoria) is the head honcho these days.
Plenty of rumours flying. He'll go wherever he's gonna get paid the most, probably.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Like Gillespie last year, Hodgey got the sympathy, one for the road, contract. At 33, and you've just missed out on another overseas trip, what odds another Baggygreen? Write your own ticket, I'd suggest.
Not sure about a baggy green, but there's a T20 world cup next year and Hodge could well play in that... maybe that saved him?

Craig

World Traveller
You make your Test debut in the summer and they tell you to get '******' and yet last year we had second rate cricketers getting a contract. A bit stiff there for mine especially when he is the first choice opener should Hayden or Jaques get injured or whatever.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Marsh must be seen as realistic opening option for Australia in Tests and ODIs as it seems he has jumped ahead of Rogers in pack.

Craig

World Traveller

It was a bad package.

Maybe I'm naive, but I would find it an outrage if players are picked on their marketability instead of their playing ability. So I guess they will piss off James Hopes for Shane Watson in the near future then?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe I'm naive, but I would find it an outrage if players are picked on their marketability instead of their playing ability. So I guess they will piss off James Hopes for Shane Watson in the near future then?
Nah that will be based on Watson greater playing ability to Hopes then looks. The guy has got it all, if only his body could keep up with him.

brockley

International Captain
Jack any truth to the rumour the taibu from zimbabwe will play with northcotte next year(the age).
Vics won't get rogers now they don't have the cash.:unsure:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
CA Contract List

Out: Gillespie, Hogg, Gilchrist, Rogers, Bailey and Cullen

In: Katich, Casson, Hussey, Marsh, Noffke and Bollinger

Surprise retentions: Hodge and Voges
Surprised Tait wasn't named as a slight shock, given he's nominally retired still.

Good to see him on the list tho, all the same. Means he's likely to be charging in again next year. No-one likes to see a young bloke with talent give it all away.

sideshowtim

Banned
Jack any truth to the rumour the taibu from zimbabwe will play with northcotte next year(the age).
Vics won't get rogers now they don't have the cash.:unsure:
Wasn't Matty Elliott on a fair bit at the SACAs? Surely him leaving has freed up a lot of cash that they can use to get Rogers?