• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Domestic Off-Season Thread 2008

Jakester1288

International Regular
Only one game of Shield is shown on Fox Sports and it's the final.

All the Ford Ranger and 20/20's are shown though.
Do you know if any streams would be up? Guess not, cause they are run from the T.V. Damn. Another summer of checking results via cricket.com.au (for Shield - Cricinfo for Ranger).

Someone who can bat.
:laugh: None of those Redbacks can these days, post Lehman.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I predict Younis will struggle against NSW, Victoria and Tasmania, but will feast on the WA and Queensland attacks.

Mind you, if Johnson gets dropped from Australia we have a pretty decent bowling attack. Magoffin-Johnson-Edo/Dorey is pretty good in my books, and hopefully some improvement from Heal can maybe help us sneak into one of the finals this year. Big worry is at the top of the order, though. We've gone from the best opening partnership in Australia with Rogers and JL to probably having to put SOS up top with Davis or even make North open again.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I predict Younis will struggle against NSW, Victoria and Tasmania, but will feast on the WA and Queensland attacks.

Mind you, if Johnson gets dropped from Australia we have a pretty decent bowling attack. Magoffin-Johnson-Edo/Dorey is pretty good in my books, and hopefully some improvement from Heal can maybe help us sneak into one of the finals this year. Big worry is at the top of the order, though. We've gone from the best opening partnership in Australia with Rogers and JL to probably having to put SOS up top with Davis or even make North open again.
I heard that Hogg will play for WA next season. Is this true?

Top_Cat

Frankly speaking MacGill should move on now and give chance to likes of Hauritz and Casson.

Anyways i seriously hope the Redbacks turn things around, because its almost annoying to see the kind of talent that is going to waste there atm, due to the lack of proper management, likes of Furgeson, Cosgrove, Cullen (both of 'em), Tait are all players with good potetial but they need to be handeled properly, which has not been happening for a couple of seasons now.
The distinct LACK of management here is the problem. These guys are turning in mediocre performances and it's largely because no-one seems willing to crack the whip. You'd be shocked if you knew what they get away with, Andy Symonds has nothing on them. SACA keeps sending the wrong messages to players when a consistent, experienced campaigner like Deitz goes from being the first-choice Pura Cup gloveman to dropped from the squad in one season yet Manou goes from being out of the side to captain in the same season.

Couple that with Adcock being made captain in the first place then dropped 3/4 through the season (predictable turn of events right from the start) and idle threats to a really lazy personality with an inflated sense of entitlement like Cosgrove and you have a fairly unstable team. Ferguson came back late in the season and showed some promise straight away, hopefully he's playing more for the team these days (though I doubt it, if what his cousin tells me is any indication). The treatment of both Borgas boys has been pretty awful too. There are more players who should have been given a go last season too (how on Earth did Ben Cameron not play?!)

Basically, the SA team won't start to even be competitive until a fairly tough personality comes along, much like last time they won the Shield. I predict a finish marginally above QLD this season.

Cullen Bailey is an interesting case, though; dude had a growth spurt late in life and now has to essentially re-model his bowling completely to adjust. Freakish story, really.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
TC, what's happened to guys like Tom Plant, Oswald-Jacobs, Putland and the other young players that they gave games to a few years ago?

pup11

International Coach
The distinct LACK of management here is the problem. These guys are turning in mediocre performances and it's largely because no-one seems willing to crack the whip. You'd be shocked if you knew what they get away with, Andy Symonds has nothing on them. SACA keeps sending the wrong messages to players when a consistent, experienced campaigner like Deitz goes from being the first-choice Pura Cup gloveman to dropped from the squad in one season yet Manou goes from being out of the side to captain in the same season.

Couple that with Adcock being made captain in the first place then dropped 3/4 through the season (predictable turn of events right from the start) and idle threats to a really lazy personality with an inflated sense of entitlement like Cosgrove and you have a fairly unstable team. Ferguson came back late in the season and showed some promise straight away, hopefully he's playing more for the team these days (though I doubt it, if what his cousin tells me is any indication). The treatment of both Borgas boys has been pretty awful too. There are more players who should have been given a go last season too (how on Earth did Ben Cameron not play?!)

Basically, the SA team won't start to even be competitive until a fairly tough personality comes along, much like last time they won the Shield. I predict a finish marginally above QLD this season.

Cullen Bailey is an interesting case, though; dude had a growth spurt late in life and now has to essentially re-model his bowling completely to adjust. Freakish story, really.
The thing that really pisses me off is that so much young talent would go to drain if things with the Redbacks management don't get better, i think development of young talent in South Australia has got halted since these problems have crept up, which is a shame really, i think CA needs to step into the matters and do something about it.

Spikey

Predict he'll average less than 30. SACA can suck the good batting out of anyone. Case in point, Andy Flower, who averaed 50+ either side of his season with SA where he scored one 50 for the year.

He hit the ING sign though didn't he?! :p

Top_Cat

TC, what's happened to guys like Tom Plant, Oswald-Jacobs, Putland and the other young players that they gave games to a few years ago?
You played with Putland, didn't you? Don't know why he hasn't been given more of a go.

As for the others, mate, your guess is as good as mine although they weren't beating the door down through sheer weight of runs. Aside from his ton against SL, was a lean year for Plant. Was a lean year for SA batting in general, barely remember any one non state squad player doing really well. Jakie Brown was given a go late after his good form, suggest we'll see more of him especially since SA can't seem to decide who they want to open the batting. One of the few state cricketers whose Facebook profile is public. haha

As far as the bowling goes, I'd say they'll be looking at the early season form of the Sayers' from Woodville. Woodville won the grade comp last year and they took some poles. Think Chadd was given a rookie contract a couple of years ago, not sure if he retained it.

The thing that really pisses me off is that so much young talent would go to drain if things with the Redbacks management don't get better, i think development of young talent in South Australia has got halted since these problems have crept up, which is a shame really, i think CA needs to step into the matters and do something about it.
One problem is that there's probably too many clubs in SA at the moment. Was mooted ages ago that Woodville and Port Adelaide would merge, probably should have happened. Either way, there's too many easy wins for some teams and pitches are prepared pretty flat generally, inflates averages quite quickly which get deflated just as quickly once players make the step up to state.

What's the go with Paul Rofe. Criminally underused considering he was labelled the next McGrath.
Not quick enough any more. Plus, can't bat or field at FC level so obviously isn't going to get much of a go in OD games. When SACA had Gillespie, Tait and Harris, and the selectors were hell-bent on picking the Cullens, there just wasn't room. Now, surely, he'll see more Shield action.

Last edited: