• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranatunga vs Salim Malik?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Ranatunga in mid to late 80s was a class act and a nippy medium fast bowler sho moved the ball a lot. He was bit fat then as well. What most people have seen is Ranatunga in his twilight years, as an average batsman, but quality captain

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Salim Malik the better bat for me but Ranatunga definitely under-rated.

Malik was smooooth when he was really humming.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ranatunga in mid to late 80s was a class act and a nippy medium fast bowler sho moved the ball a lot. He was bit fat then as well. What most people have seen is Ranatunga in his twilight years, as an average batsman, but quality captain
Ranatunga has a little bit in common with WG Grace, except that Grace's physical condition worsened as he got older, Ranatunga's if anything improved, as I said above.

But most people's limited knowledge of both is dominated by what they were in their latter days rather than their former and most significant.

Gunguteli

Cricket Spectator
Salim malik by some distance.Those who think he was a FTB probably didn,t watch him bat in Eng esp in leeds.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
As a side note, it was interesting how Rantunga's mere existence used to wind up the opposition players. In his last book, Shane Warne can scarcely hide his utter contempt for him.

Fusion

Global Moderator
As a side note, it was interesting how Rantunga's mere existence used to wind up the opposition players. In his last book, Shane Warne can scarcely hide his utter contempt for him.
Well Malik had that going for him too in the case of Warne. :p

Xuhaib

International Coach
I thought both Malik and Azhar were very similar.

Both scored a debut century,

Both were extreamly silky when in full flow.

Both get underrated a bit since they are sandwiched between argubly two greatest batsman their country has ever produced.

Ofcourse both enjoyed a lttle bit of match fixing.

Though Azhar takes it in the end since he had a hotter wife.:ph34r:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I thought both Malik and Azhar were very similar.

Both scored a debut century,

Both were extreamly silky when in full flow.

Both get underrated a bit since they are sandwiched between argubly two greatest batsman their country has ever produced.

Ofcourse both enjoyed a lttle bit of match fixing.

Though Azhar takes it in the end since he had a hotter wife.:ph34r:
Azhar? How about Arjuna?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd rate Malik the better batsman, but Ranatunga of course the far more important figure in his country's cricketing history.