Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make Test cricket more interesting?

Banned

How to make Test cricket more interesting?

dont get me wrong i like watching test cricket, especially when the match is between arch rivals like India and Pakistan or Australia and England, however i do feel some times it can be boring as hell especially the first 2 days of play. is there a way to make the game more interesting in the first 2 days of play?

U19 Captain
    Promote rules or tweak them so there is no negativity in bowling, batting and fielding placements.

Also have rules that state the minimum amount of pitch conditions to qualify for a match that will assist the batsmen as much as it does for bowlers.

Flat decks with no help for the bowlers are just nonsense. What's more it inflates the batting records when the bowling is non-existent.

International 12th Man Shaggy Alfresco's Avatar
    Equip umpires with lethal hunting rifles, and allow them to take pot-shots at any fielder outside the circle.

fix the bloody pitches

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I think Test cricket is extremely exciting. The number of draws is severely down (even not involving Australia), and you can go into a match knowing there will be a result. There are some crap pitches, but generally the style of play, plus the pitches prepared are good enough to get a result.

To make it more exciting and fun for people to watch, I would implement the following ideas:

• Make a mandatory 3 Test minimum series
    • Make mandatory two tour FC games of four days each, and one of three days before the first Test
    • Introduce a limited appeals system to cricket.
    • If a venue has more than 50% draws in its last ten matches (not affected by weather), it gets put on probation for Test status.

Regarding the second item, I find that unless you are Australia, you are often undercooked going into a new country. You need time to get used to the pitches, the different balls used, the conditions, etc. This is not an excuse, but India were very undercooked in the first Test match. India are obviously not as good (neither is anyone else) as Australia, and if we want to ensure the best, most competitive matches (which anyone in their right mind would want to do), we need to make sure we give sides enough time to get oriented to a new country. Will it happen? Not a chance. The calender is too packed, and you can't do it. But that would be my hope.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 06-04-2008 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    I like your 4th point best of all. Good one I think. Going on probation allows factors such as weather to be taken into account, not just a blanket ban on a ground because of draws.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Good points SS, but the last 10 matches would be like 9-10 years for most grounds. You'd need something that can come into effect quicker than that.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Bring back timeless Tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Indipper View Post
    Bring back timeless Tests.
    Uncovered wickets.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Get rid of boxes.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    I think Test cricket is extremely exciting. The number of draws is severely down (even not involving Australia), and you can go into a match knowing there will be a result. There are some crap pitches, but generally the style of play, plus the pitches prepared are good enough to get a result.

To make it more exciting and fun for people to watch, I would implement the following ideas:

• Make a mandatory 3 Test minimum series
    • Make mandatory two tour FC games of four days each, and one of three days before the first Test
    • Introduce a limited appeals system to cricket.
    • If a venue has more than 50% draws in its last ten matches (not affected by weather), it gets put on probation for Test status.

Regarding the second item, I find that unless you are Australia, you are often undercooked going into a new country. You need time to get used to the pitches, the different balls used, the conditions, etc. This is not an excuse, but India were very undercooked in the first Test match. India are obviously not as good (neither is anyone else) as Australia, and if we want to ensure the best, most competitive matches (which anyone in their right mind would want to do), we need to make sure we give sides enough time to get oriented to a new country. Will it happen? Not a chance. The calender is too packed, and you can't do it. But that would be my hope.
    • Introduce auxillary days which a Test can flow over to if overs are lost due to poor over-rates \ rain \ bad light
    • DO SOMETHING about bad light - most annoying thing

To assuage the calender would be essential to many of the things that would help to make Test cricket better. There is no game that could never be improved.

But bringing in artificial thingies like "no negative play" (what is "negative play" anyway?) - worst idea IMO. The ability to switch between "negative" and "positive" is essential to Test cricket and always has been and always should be.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    • Introduce auxillary days which a Test can flow over to if overs are lost due to poor over-rates \ rain \ bad light
    Would have to introduce stricter and harsher penalties on poor over rates then. Otherwise teams would have little incentive to get them up to standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    • DO SOMETHING about bad light - most annoying thing
    Except that floodlights would imbalance the game too much, IMO. The transition period between natural and artificial light may seem a small thing, but if it catches a team at the wrong time, it can have severe implications on the match result. Why bring in another variable?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Would have to introduce stricter and harsher penalties on poor over rates then. Otherwise teams would have little incentive to get them up to standard.

Except that floodlights would imbalance the game too much, IMO. The transition period between natural and artificial light may seem a small thing, but if it catches a team at the wrong time, it can have severe implications on the match result. Why bring in another variable?
    You do realise who you're talking to don't you?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Many of the latter points would require great scheduling, so I guess some of the changes that would make Test cricket more interesting - which I don't think you need to do TBH would be have less ODIs and possibly less Test matches in general. For something such as having extra days, teams would probably have to do one or two less tours a year (this is in conjunction with the point about warm up games which a good point).

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Get rid of boxes.
    No padding.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information