• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

who was the first spin bowler?

stumpski

International Captain
Good question - I had a look at David Frith's book The Slow Men to investigate. He makes the point that for an underarm bowler, leg-spin is an easy and natural action, so the first leg-spinner is forever lost in time. But he names a man called Lamborn, who played for Hambledon around 1780, as the first off-break bowler.

As for the first international spinner, it rather depends on what you class as the first international. Spin bowling was well developed by the 1850s, when bowling was at its brief roundarm phase, and America v Canada was first staged then, followed quickly by the first English tour to Australia in 1861-62. If you take the 1877 Melbourne Test as your starting point, I believe several slow bowlers took part in that match. At that time it was common for one to open the bowling.

Edit: if you take this match as the first international, most of the bowlers are not categorised, but Crossley, who had most success, is classed as an off-spinner.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Good question - I had a look at David Frith's book The Slow Men to investigate. He makes the point that for an underarm bowler, leg-spin is an easy and natural action, so the first leg-spinner is forever lost in time. But he names a man called Lamborn, who played for Hambledon around 1780, as the first off-break bowler.

As for the first international spinner, it rather depends on what you class as the first international. Spin bowling was well developed by the 1850s, when bowling was at its brief roundarm phase, and America v Canada was first staged then, followed quickly by the first English tour to Australia in 1861-62. If you take the 1877 Melbourne Test as your starting point, I believe several slow bowlers took part in that match. At that time it was common for one to open the bowling.

Edit: if you take this match as the first international, most of the bowlers are not categorised, but Crossley, who had most success, is classed as an off-spinner.
So Stump if this is the first International Match then the Hatrick by Marsh would obviously follow as the first....Good question in a Trivia Quiz.