• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya vs Afridi?

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
Jayasuriya is a better stiker than afridi but afridi jus strikes every ball so any team cannot rely on Afreidi he justy throes his wkt away

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am amazed at how much some people are obsessed with Afridi ? We have simply too many threads about him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indelible records will stand the test of time, particularly the 37 ball hundred.
I don't believe it will. If ODI cricket survives alongside T20 cricket for any reasonable amount of time, I foresee that record falling.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If I'm getting the situation right I need runs as fast as I can in a situaion where wickets is not a problem...say 100/1 after 14 overs in a 20-20...right?......Well, for me it depends on who the next batsman in the line-up is...If the next batsman is some1 like Dhoni I'll want Afridi (it won't bother me if he gets out after hitting only 1 six); if the next batsman is some1 like Boycott I'll want Jayasuriya...pretty simple choice for me....

Last edited:

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Jayasuriya as a batsman by a mile, but I reckon Afridi as a pure pinch hitter. With 5 or so overs to go in a match, I'd pick Afridi for sure. McCullum probably falls in that category as well.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jayasuriya in every single aspect of batsmanship - even as a pinch hitter. Who wants a pinch hitter who is more likely to last 5 balls than 25 ?

Afridi lasts 21 balls per innings over his entire career in ODI's. This includes 144 innings as opener when there is no pressure on him to throw his wicket. I am sure when the pressure is on to get super quick runs he will last ten balls or less. What use is such a pinch hitter even with a strike rate of 111.

I will take Jayasuriya's strike rate of 90+ anyday.

In test matches forget about putting them on the same page, you cant put them in the same library even.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Jayasuriya in every single aspect of batsmanship - even as a pinch hitter. Who wants a pinch hitter who is more likely to last 5 balls than 25 ?

Afridi lasts 21 balls per innings over his entire career in ODI's. This includes 144 innings as opener when there is no pressure on him to throw his wicket. I am sure when the pressure is on to get super quick runs he will last ten balls or less. What use is such a pinch hitter even with a strike rate of 111.

I will take Jayasuriya's strike rate of 90+ anyday.

In test matches forget about putting them on the same page, you cant put them in the same library even.
Right...I would want Afridi over Jayasuriya only under one situation...when another great pinch-hitter is due to come next in the batting order...I would want Afridi either to hit out or get out fast so that the next pinch hitter can come to the crease quickly (that too at the end of the innings, not if I have to choose an opener)... :)

Last edited:
As batsman:Jayasuriya>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Afridi

As bowler:Jayasuriya=Afridi.

JerseyGuy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Jayasuriya any day... any type of match...just because he is more consistent and could get a bigger score more often than not...