• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Bat Care

tompfrank

Cricket Spectator
Last season my bat got a bit muddy (mud solidly engrained into wood)

to clean it off - should i use a damp cloth or some light sand paper???

deeps

International 12th Man
DO NOT use damp cloth. infact, do not use anything remotely damp!

sandpaper will be fine, no doubt about it (as long as you don't get the roughest sandpaper and use alot of elbow grease!)

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sand it down with a fairly light sandpaper and then give it a couple of coats of oil over a week, should be fine then... In fact you should repeat this process at least once during every season too...

Burgey

I've had this absolute cannon of a bat for about 4 years - a V800 - had the big subcontinental bow in it, t'was a great stick.

Last half of this season though, it began to make sounds like DK's aluminium bat when I used it. Instead of a "crak"ing sound when I hit the ball, it went "clunk".

Ended up changing it out of embarrasment tbh. I sanded it, oiled it mid-season and put a new face on it but no difference. Anyone tell me why it started going the way it did (apart form me never hitting the middle this year?)

Simon

Strange noise for a bat to be making, well done on getting four years out of a modern bat, despite costing around the $500 mark in Aus, they are made now to not last more than a couple of seasons :@

Burgey

Aint it the truth!! Little bloke who's 6 wants to play under 10s next year - not looking forward to getting him a half way decent bat and me a new one at the same time. Might need a second mortgage!!!!

Top_Cat

If your bat makes that clunky sound, it's a crack within the bat rather than a surface crack. Once that happens, not much you can do.

Simon

Aint it the truth!! Little bloke who's 6 wants to play under 10s next year - not looking forward to getting him a half way decent bat and me a new one at the same time. Might need a second mortgage!!!!
haha ouch, i was using michael clarke's V389 06/07 model until middle of the season and it broke, so I bought the 07/08 model for $475 but haven't used it yet, too scared its going to break!

Burgey

If your bat makes that clunky sound, it's a crack within the bat rather than a surface crack. Once that happens, not much you can do.
Cheers mate, thought it was my general direness. Nice to know it was "equipment failure".

Top_Cat

Cheers mate, thought it was my general direness. Nice to know it was "equipment failure".
I wouldn't rule it out, yet..... :D

But yeah, when that happens, the only you can do is tape it up tight. It's the suckiest damage to your bat you can get, really. If it gets chipped, sand it, back to normal. If the splice goes, re-glue it, back to normal. If you get an internal split however, tape it up and use it until you can afford a new bat......