• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Chappells vs the Waughs

The Chappells vs The Waughs

• Total voters

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Something I've always wondered about, and perhaps with your input, put to bed once and for all.

Together, which set of brothers do you consider the greater force in Australian Test cricket. That would include batting, bowling, fielding, captaincy.

If anyone wants to accumulate their stats and provide averages, feel free. I have left them out deliberately to avoid initial influencing of the poll.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Chappell (Greg) was, in my opinion, the best batsman out of all of them. In terms of quality of the players (including taking into account captaincy and such), I'd go:

Gregg Chappell
Steve Waugh
Ian Chappell
Mark Waugh

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
In test cricket, I'd have to go for the Chappells. If nothing else, Ian was somewhat superior to Mark, even just as a batsman. Take his captaincy into account and he was a much more valuable cricketer.

I wonder if there's been any other pair of brothers who compare to the Chappells and the Waughs in terms of impact in test cricket, though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How dare you omit Trevor C and Dean W. :@

In all seriousness - hard to look past the Chappells IMO. If overall cricket pedigree is taken into consideration. All fine batsmen and useful part-time bowlers, and excellent catchers. Two good captains, one decent captain, and one who never captained. That's the crucial decider. Had Mark Waugh been a captain, even if not of Australia, they might be on level-terms.

Also the Chappells came earlier.

Also obviously, Trevor >>>>>>> Dean, comfortably. But even without those two under consideration, Chappells > Waughs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder if there's been any other pair of brothers who compare to the Chappells and the Waughs in terms of impact in test cricket, though.
Well the Mohammads obviously trump any family very, very comfortably, but aside from them I can't think of any.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
How dare you omit Trevor C and Dean W. :@

In all seriousness - hard to look past the Chappells IMO. If overall cricket pedigree is taken into consideration. All fine batsmen and useful part-time bowlers, and excellent catchers. Two good captains, one decent captain, and one who never captained. That's the crucial decider. Had Mark Waugh been a captain, even if not of Australia, they might be on level-terms.

Also the Chappells came earlier.

Also obviously, Trevor >>>>>>> Dean, comfortably. But even without those two under consideration, Chappells > Waughs.
Don't forget about Danny (Waugh)...:dry:

As for the original question, the Chappells comfortably outshone the Waughs over their respective careers. Steve Waugh is no Greg Chappell and Mark Waugh is no Ian Chappell.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It'll depend on how Bazid goes, I guess. But Hanif, Mushtaq and Sadiq (plus Shoaib, Hanif's son) truly is an astonishing pedigree. You can even add Wazir and Raees to the Mohammad family. :blink: Certainly trumps Imran and Majid, fabulous though those two were.

Actually, another who I'd forgotten are the Pollocks.

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
It'll depend on how Bazid goes, I guess. But Hanif, Mushtaq and Sadiq (plus Shoaib, Hanif's son) truly is an astonishing pedigree. You can even add Wazir and Raees to the Mohammad family. :blink: Certainly trumps Imran and Majid, fabulous though those two were.

Pollocks are best cricketing family ever for mine.

Actually, Grace family more likely.

Flem274*

123/5
The Marshall twins obviously.....

OK serious now, the Hadlee family (Walter, Richard, Dayle) deserve at least a mention. Maybe the Cairns family.

There's another Rutherford in the U-19s but they can't be said for a long time yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pollocks are best cricketing family ever for mine.

Actually, Grace family more likely.
Hmm, ITBT the only two Graces whose on-field deeds were big were WG and EM. There were others, but none were players of any great note.

Flem274*

123/5
The Pollocks definitely should be up there as well.

Oh and ANOTHER NZ one is the Crowes (Jeff, some guy called Martin)

The Sharma's in a few years? Or aren't those two related?

Xuhaib

International Coach

Majid's father Jahangir Khan played for India pre-partition while they also had another cousin Javaid Burki who captained Pakistan on their tour to England in 62.

howardj

International Coach
The Waughs.

Mark was the best fielder out of all them; they were both more than handy all-rounders; Tugga matched Greg in terms of average; Junior matched Chappelli in terms of average; and Tugga, through his captaincy, turned Australia into a ruthless, emotionless, cold blooded killing machine (a reflection of himself). Look at Australia under Taylor, compared to Waugh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Majid's father Jahangir Khan played for India pre-partition while they also had another cousin Javaid Burki who captained Pakistan on their tour to England in 62.
Forgot about M Jahangir TBH, and while I know of Javed Burki never knew he was a relative of t'Khans.

BTW, check the meetup thread. :p

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Actually, i deplore the lack of an irrevant 3rd option.

Although that's better in OT.

archie mac

International Coach
This deserves to be very close. I think the Chappell boys the better. Greg and Mark were artistic batsman, but Greg has the much better average, both were fine slipers, with Mark imo the better but only just.

Ian and Steve were fighters, with Steve having the better average, but I think Ian the better captain and fieldsman

I would love to watch Mark and Greg bat together:cool:

On cricketing ability if they were in the same team I think you would think Greg and Mark brothers and Ian and Steve brothers because of their batting styles.