Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who was the better bowler for Australia?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Gillespie

13 48.15%
  • Craig McDermott

14 51.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes, it's another player comparison...

Yes, it's another player comparison...

Craig McDermott vs Jason Gillespie.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Grew up watching 'The Kid' and although I prefered Hughes I respected McDermott a lot. I actually wonder how many games Reid, McDermott and Hughes played together?

Anyway, Gillespie may have been his equal but never really lead an attack like McDermott did.

For me McDermott takes it quite comfortably. I would vote for him but...
    Last edited by Goughy; 03-04-2008 at 06:34 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Haha, I'm a space cadet.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Haha, I'm a space cadet.
    haha, so it wasnt a test then?

Jason Gillespie, for mine. Craig McDermott was a force at home, but away, Steve Waugh compared him to 'superman with Kryptonite' (a notable exception was against the West Indies in 1991). Gillespie, conversely, was almost as good away as at home and elicited so many plays-and-misses during his prime that it was almost ridiculous. Both were unlucky with injury, but while Gillespie overcame his, McDermott, alas, was never really able to. So I have no real hesistation in going for Gillespie, despite McDermott's exploits against England.

Although I realise that this is not always of consequence, Gillespie has a superior average to McDermott, too...and was a far better batsman.

Banned
    Gillespie around 2002 with short hair.

Unbelievable. He could bowl 150k and could swing it and bowl cutters.

Of course he didnt lead the attack, McGrath did and he was after McDermott's time...and arguably the best quick in history, so you cant compare them by "leading an attack"

I've never seen (or read) McDermott doing away from home what Gillespie did in 2004 in India, that was amazing.

I'd pick Gillespie.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Very difficult question, this. Some people, who didn't follow McDermott's career and only looked at the one number they're spoon-fed by TV producers and one page on CricInfo, might not realise just how good he was for a time, on the rare occasion he managed a decent few games on the trot.

Early on (including debuting at just 19 years of age and not being overawed at all) he struggled, as did most of the rest of his team. But later he became a high-class bowler indeed and was the biggest force behind Australia's rise back toward the top of the World pile.

I'm not especially bothered by the "did he lead the pack?" question - that often depends more on the calibre of the bowlers around you than yourself - but I'd still go for McDermott, just. Both very much high-class operators, though.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I actually wonder how many games Reid, McDermott and Hughes played together?
    Nowhere near the number they should have. McDermott and Reid alone played together just 14 times. And 8 of these were when Australia were still at an enormously low ebb and neither bowler was anywhere near as good as they would eventually become.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    Jason Gillespie, for mine. Craig McDermott was a force at home, but away, Steve Waugh compared him to 'superman with Kryptonite' (a notable exception was against the West Indies in 1991).
    Not, for mine, a 100% fair question. As I mentioned in my first post this thread, McDermott was fairly average home or away (another exception being England in 1985 when as mentioned he was just 19) in his first 4 years in Test cricket.

In his later phase when he became a top-class operator, he played just three followed by two series away from home, and did well in the first three, then less well in his single Test in England before returning with a twisted bowel () then again fared poorly in South Africa before having 1 good and 1 poor game in Pakistan.

He never quite managed a series of the magnitude of Gillespie in India - but this was only because the rest of his side weren't up to the task in West Indies in 1991. McDermott's performance that series was every bit on a par with Gillespie's, and the only reason Gillespie's is remembered more fondly is that Australia were successful in 2004/05.

First Class Debutant
    Gillespie . He is slightly underrated in my opinion ,may be because of the glamour of Warne and Mcgrath .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nowhere near the number they should have. McDermott and Reid alone played together just 14 times. And 8 of these were when Australia were still at an enormously low ebb and neither bowler was anywhere near as good as they would eventually become.
    McDermott, Reid and Hughes played together 9 times and had the suprisingly ordinary record of 2 wins, 2 losses and 5 draws
    Last edited by Goughy; 03-04-2008 at 11:42 AM.

State Vice-Captain
    Gillespie never got more than 20 wkts in a series. McDermott did scale 30 wkts 3 times. Gillespie never got a 10fer. McDermott did so twice.

Point being that Gillespie never seemed to take the ' bull by the horns ', which IIRC was what McDermott was called. Leadership matters. Gillespie will be forgotten far sooner than McDermott.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    McDermott, Reid and Hughes played together 9 times and had the suprisingly ordinary record of 2 wins, 2 losses and 2 draws
    And 3 ties?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post
    Gillespie never got more than 20 wkts in a series. McDermott did scale 30 wkts 3 times. Gillespie never got a 10fer. McDermott did so twice.
    Part of that is to do with Australia tending to play more 5 (even 6) Test series in McDermott's day than Gillespie's - again, not a 100% fair comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information