• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yes, it's another player comparison...

Who was the better bowler for Australia?

• Total voters

JBH001

International Regular
McDermott. Not by much though. SRT, incidentally, rates him the 4th best Australian bowler he ever faced (behind McGrath, Warne, Lee).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pains you why? :)
For a few reasons, when I think about it;

1) Dizzy is South Australian-bred and a cool dude and want to support a local. Decent bowler too!
2) McDermott used to regularly destroy South Australia's batting line-up (when it was good*) in Sheffield Shield cricket.
3) He was the one bowler who managed to make one of my other favourite players, Greg Blewett, look absolutely ordinary. Blewwy always rated him as the best he ever faced.

* Before anyone gives me any crap for that remark, yes SA used to have a reasonable batting line-up. They chased down 506 in the 4th innings against a very strong QLD side. It was the bowling which was the big problem in those days......

Aha, link to the QLD game;

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/engine/match/284750.html

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Mac here.

I think Dizzy got a lot of class at the other end because of Warne and McGrath and I think his best years or his peak was a lot lesser than McDermott's. That man carried the attack when they weren't so good...