• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhtar banned for five years

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
BBC source

Fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar has been banned for five years by the Pakistan Cricket Board following a disciplinary hearing in Rawalpindi.

More to follow

:wacko:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, they posted it at 13:07

edit maybe I've been whooshed here :ph34r:
Nah, I don't think you have. It's just that you originally posted the thread with the sum total of "..." in the opening post. Hardly compelling evidence of said banning. :happy:

But now there's a link.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, actually had to edit it 4 times I messed it up so much, LOL

Got a bit excited about being the one to break such a potential bombshell on CW

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
From same link as original post:

The 32-year-old, who was on a two-year probabtion for attacking teammate Mohammad Asif with a bat, was charged with publicly criticising the PCB.

Chairman Nasif Ashraf said: "The board has lost confidence in Shoaib Akhtar.

"We therefore felt that his presence in the field was damaging to the team and the image of Pakistan cricket."

chalky

International Debutant
Drug taking - A slap on the wrist & small ban.

Attack a teamate with a cricket bat - Reprimand & 2 year probation

Criticize the board in public - 5 year ban (effectively career ending).

Yeah a bit OTT for me

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Still not totally conviced of the non-April-fools nature of this but if it is true, I reckon I give it 2 weeks until the U-turn.

If, by some miracle, it's not an April-fools, and there is no U-turn, it's probably for the best. Have said it many times - Shoaib's had more new-leaf-turn-overs than possibly any cricketer in history - some people are just hopleless cases, and he's been an extremely disruptive influence on Pakistan cricket (along with Shahid Afridi) for almost as long as I can remember. Extreme even by Pakistan cricket standards.

The sooner Pakistan are rid of him the better, really, for my money.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hah, attacking your teammate with a potentially deadly weapon? :p
From what I can see, the ban is for "publicly criticising the PCB". That's all of CW banned, then.

edit - Sorry, I see he was on probation, fair play, but still, ridiculous IMO