• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Akhtar banned for five years

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
From what I can see, the ban is for "publicly criticising the PCB". That's all of CW banned, then.

edit - Sorry, I see he was on probation, fair play, but still, ridiculous IMO
Ah - just read it. Yea, overreaction, considering how much he has got away with in the past.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still not totally conviced of the non-April-fools nature of this but if it is true, I reckon I give it 2 weeks until the U-turn.

If, by some miracle, it's not an April-fools, and there is no U-turn, it's probably for the best. Have said it many times - Shoaib's had more new-leaf-turn-overs than possibly any cricketer in history - some people are just hopleless cases, and he's been an extremely disruptive influence on Pakistan cricket (along with Shahid Afridi) for almost as long as I can remember. Extreme even by Pakistan cricket standards.

The sooner Pakistan are rid of him the better, really, for my money.
There's no way it's an April Fool's IMO

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
From what I can see, the ban is for "publicly criticising the PCB". That's all of CW banned, then.
TBF, all of CW aren't PCB employees.

Most agencies would immediately sack or at very least internally discipline someone for publically criticising their employers.

sideshowtim

Banned
Indeed, five years is incredible and unprecedented though.
Five years is probably a bit excessive, a ban of 3 years seems about right IMO. Either way, it pretty much ends his international career. I can't imagine him steaming in and bowling at 150-160 at 35 after a few years away from the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh yeah - one thing, hope we still see FRAZ's continued presence even if there is no U-turn.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Shaoib's had his problems, but he was so exciting to watch that I just loved him anyway.

Fitting end to his career though lol.

Will miss ya Shoaib, probably seen you bowl around 300 balls in the last 3 years though, so probably won't miss seeing you on the cricket field much :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Massive discrepancy between the crime & the punishment for me. Yeah, on the one hand the bloke's a drug-using, ball-tampering, dodgy-actioned, teammate-attacking tool, but 5 years for speaking out of turn?!

sideshowtim

Banned
Massive discrepancy between the crime & the punishment for me. Yeah, on the one hand the bloke's a drug-using, ball-tampering, dodgy-actioned, teammate-attacking tool, but 5 years for speaking out of turn?!
As others have said, he was on probation. And Richard also mentioned that most employers would give you the arse if you slagged them off.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As others have said, he was on probation. And Richard also mentioned that most employers would give you the arse if you slagged them off.
Fair enough, by all means ban him, but given testing positive for drugs has a two-year tariff, five for saying something out of turn seems disproportionate to me. It's just a bit ironic given all the decent reasons he's given the PCB to ban him this was what pushed them over the edge.

What exactly did he say, anyway? The BBC article isn't clear on that.