• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia squad vs WI

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Why do all Australians hate Brad Hodge so much?
IQ of a cheap toaster. As soon as there's a hint of movement on a deck he spontaneously combusts. And it doesn't even look cool.

"Dude, did Brad Hodge just spontaneously combust?"
"Meh."

pasag

RTDAS
Why do all Australians hate Brad Hodge so much?
Irrational hate of all things Victorian. Jealously more than anything, really.

Liking the look of the squad though, can't wait for the series. Casson must be there for learning purposes, ie hang around with the squad, get exposed to that kind of stuff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was the idea with Tait in 2005 (even Fuller suggested such IIRR) and that went belly-up though.

Hope the same doesn't happen. Never thought Casson would get close to a Test-standard player myself TBH, and wouldn't want to see Australia stooping that low.

pasag

RTDAS
That was the idea with Tait in 2005 (even Fuller suggested such IIRR) and that went belly-up though.

Hope the same doesn't happen. Never thought Casson would get close to a Test-standard player myself TBH, and wouldn't want to see Australia stooping that low.
He won't get a game, four fast bowlers will be played if MacGill goes down.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

Seen him play? No, imo.

Don't care if you reply with "blah blah stats tell etc", not listening.

sideshowtim

Banned
He won't get a game, four fast bowlers will be played if MacGill goes down.
Disagree. Given the Windies general weakness against spin I can certainly see Casson being given a run if Macca goes down. I'm not sure Macca is even a cert. I think it'll come down to the tour games we play before the Tests. Casson's batting could come in handy for sure.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can see Casson being a bit of mystery early on tour. But being found out soon after.

pasag

RTDAS
Disagree. Given the Windies general weakness against spin I can certainly see Casson being given a run if Macca goes down. I'm not sure Macca is even a cert. I think it'll come down to the tour games we play before the Tests. Casson's batting could come in handy for sure.
What don't the West Indies have a weakness against these days? :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If West Indies can handle Murali fairly comfortably, you'd think Casson would be little bother. But then thinking isn't usually associated with West Indies cricket.

West Indies have tended to struggle against spin on dry, turning wickets. Not usually on average flat surfaces.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seen him play? No, imo.

Don't care if you reply with "blah blah stats tell etc", not listening.
I've seen him bowl, not that that tells anyone a hell of a lot.

And you can shut your ears if you want, it won't change what Casson has done of note, which is not much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
West Indies have tended to struggle against spin on dry, turning wickets. Not usually on average flat surfaces.
Same as most teams, really.

Only really India and Sri Lanka who have more than a couple of batsman who I'd back to score with decency on turning surfaces.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've seen him bowl, not that that tells anyone a hell of a lot.

And you can shut your ears if you want, it won't change what Casson has done of note, which is not much.
Take a look at his recent games FFS

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/wivaus/engine/match/298345.html
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/engine/match/298342.html
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/engine/match/298339.html
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/engine/match/298335.html
http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/engine/match/298338.html

Making runs and taking wickets, and given that he's a young spinner at a time when Australia currently need one, it makes sense.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen all of them - while they're an improvement on his previous performances, they're hardly the sort of stuff that screams "INTERNATIONAL MATERIAL!!!!!!" especially when the previous has been so awful.

sideshowtim

Banned
I've seen all of them - while they're an improvement on his previous performances, they're hardly the sort of stuff that screams "INTERNATIONAL MATERIAL!!!!!!" especially when the previous has been so awful.
Well when our spin stocks are as bare as they are, he is our best option at the moment IMO.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Given the number of non-contracted players on there, there's got to be a few nervous blokes round Australia now. If those 20 get them, plus Tait, that just leaves four left.