• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia squad vs WI

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Devo about Heal. Not picking a young spinner for the OD series really stupid IMO.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Voges is injured right ?...major shock Marsh being picked ahead of him if he wasnt. That said Marsh has always looked like a player capable of more and now that his output has started to match his talent I think it was the right time to introduce him to international cricket...
Didnt realise he was still only 24...feels like he's been around forever, I remember him being in the WA squad 6 or 7 years ago.
Marsh opens though. With Gilly gone and Hopes likely to replace him I'd say they wanted cover for the spot.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Casson is a joke selection esspecially if he actually plays...

Should've picked another pace bowler or back up batsmen.
Tend to agree he's not Test ready yet, but I doubt he's going to get in front of Stuey anyway. Good experience for the lad.

Stoked for Marsh and Katich though. Both quality.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Marsh opens though. With Gilly gone and Hopes likely to replace him I'd say they wanted cover for the spot.
Marsh is really one a makeshift opener really. Played most of his domestic, grade cricket and youth cricket at 3-5. It has only been in the last season he got asked to open due Langer preference to bat down the order to make his transtition out of side easier. And the lack of other opening options in OD and Twenty20 cricket.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Marsh is really one a makeshift opener really. Played most of his domestic, grade cricket and youth cricket at 3-5. It has only been in the last season he got asked to open due Langer preference to bat down the order to make his transtition out of side easier. And the lack of other opening options in OD and Twenty20 cricket.
I don't think they've picked him as an opener as such, but the fact that he can bat there would obviously work in his favour, as he'd provide cover for that spot on tour.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
....and had his most successful OD and T20 seasons.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So, what about M Clarke as test VC? I'd have thought Hussey on the basis of the more established player in the middle order.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So, what about M Clarke as test VC? I'd have thought Hussey on the basis of the more established player in the middle order.
Hopefully means he stops claiming catches on the bounce at least.

Is two spinners for the Windies a bit OTT maybe? Pakistan, yes by all means; but the caribbean? I'd have thought a second keeper would've been more useful.

andyc

Is two spinners for the Windies a bit OTT maybe? Pakistan, yes by all means; but the caribbean? I'd have thought a second keeper would've been more useful.
Picking another keeper wouldn't be much of a vote of confidence for Haddin though. The second spinner would just be there because of how ordinary MacGill was last time; give him two tests, and if he's not performing, pick Casson. Plus with MacGill not going to be around for much longer, there's a pretty big need to blood a new spinner.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Picking another keeper wouldn't be much of a vote of confidence for Haddin though. The second spinner would just be there because of how ordinary MacGill was last time; give him two tests, and if he's not performing, pick Casson. Plus with MacGill not going to be around for much longer, there's a pretty big need to blood a new spinner.
Fair enough, I suppose. Haddin used to tour when Gilly was in situ tho, didn't he? Did in 2005 at any rate. & there's no guarantee he'll have a Gilchrist-like run of fitness.

Just think that should MacGill break down and/or serve pies the squad has better cover in the spin dept (Symonds & Clarke) than the glove dept.

Johnners

Hussey stiff to miss the test side?

Love the selections of Marrsh and White in the OD squad. Hilfenhaus in the squad on potential rather than output from this season also as mentioned others out injured.
Don't reckon Hussey was stiff, they were always going to pick Katich ahead of him, and our bowling attack is definitely the weaker side of the team at the moment, so extra backup was to be expected. I guess if worst come to worst though, and 2 batsmen were injured or whatever, Noffke & Casson could possibly do a reasonable job at 7.

As for the Casson selection...itstl. Should have been automatically ruled out because of his name imo. I mean, Australia has a history of players named Don, Steve, Shane, Bruce, Wayne, Ricky, and now Beau... wtf! (:p)

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Don't reckon Hussey was stiff, they were always going to pick Katich ahead of him, and our bowling attack is definitely the weaker side of the team at the moment, so extra backup was to be expected. I guess if worst come to worst though, and 2 batsmen were injured or whatever, Knoffke & Casson could possibly do a reasonable job at 7.
:blink:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What, a long-stop? Harsh on Haddin. ;)

Casson is a decent pick. You get the feeling if he plays in the Test side, he'll bat relatively high and share spin overs with Clarke and Symonds.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, I suppose. Haddin used to tour when Gilly was in situ tho, didn't he? Did in 2005 at any rate. & there's no guarantee he'll have a Gilchrist-like run of fitness.

Just think that should MacGill break down and/or serve pies the squad has better cover in the spin dept (Symonds & Clarke) than the glove dept.
Mike Hussey is a gun keeper, probably better then Ronchi with the gloves.