• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Current (beg April 2008) World XIs by age

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I might have Raina in there somewhere. He is an excellent fielder too, so he could also be the 12th man if he can't crack the top 11.
Would go Raina over Kapugedera to be honest. Also, I'm not too sure about the top order, would like perhaps both of them or Obanda or Dean Elgar (SA) in there - but it's a hell of a job to leave out any of the five bowlers as they have all made impacts on their entries to Test or ODI cricket.

Will stick with five bowlers too - they're only little, after all, don't want them to get tired out...

adharcric

International Coach
Pujara, Kohli, Tiwary and Srivastava would be worth a look as well, no? Goughy, are we looking only at guys who have played tests or only at guys who have played international cricket or only at guys who have played first-class cricket or anyone?

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Pujara, Kohli, Tiwary and Srivastava would be worth a look as well, no? Goughy, are we looking only at guys who have played tests or only at guys who have played international cricket or only at guys who have played first-class cricket or anyone?
Yeah think we should include FC players TBH. U-19s that spring to mind for NZ are:

Corey Anderson (allrounder)
Kane Williamson (top order batsman)
George Worker (opener)
Greg Morgan (bowling allrounder)
Tim Southee (bowling allrounder/God)

Expect India and the like to be full of FC cricket teenagers TBH.

Has Phil Hughes played FC cricket? Is this the same Phil Hughes who was so disappointing in the U-19 tournament? Might be a struggle to guage his selection though TBH alor of players will be hard to include.

Broad, Southee and Sharma are players that walk into the side. Dunno where they'll get a top order from though. Any kid running around averaging 40+ in FC cricket?

iamdavid

International Debutant
Yeah think we should include FC players TBH. U-19s that spring to mind for NZ are:

George Worker (opener)

Has Phil Hughes played FC cricket? Is this the same Phil Hughes who was so disappointing in the U-19 tournament? Might be a struggle to guage his selection though TBH alor of players will be hard to include.

Broad, Southee and Sharma are players that walk into the side. Dunno where they'll get a top order from though. Any kid running around averaging 40+ in FC cricket?
Yes he has and yes it is....Also same Phil Hughes who scored a hundred in the Pura Cup final (youngest ever to do so I believe), and has 559 runs @ 62 in his 7 FC games so far.

adharcric

International Coach

George Worker (opener)

Pujara, Raina and Tiwary are averaging 50 in FC cricket and then you have Rohit Sharma as well. Surely there must be a few from the other nations as well.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tamim Iqbal is the good's I reckon. Give him an openers position, the qualification for this team is they have to had played Tests first people. Jeez.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I thought it may be interesting to breakdown World XIs by age.

So using 1st April 2008

21 and under XI
22-26 XI
27-31 XI
32 and over XI

Id be interested to see the demographics. Id expect the older teams to be heavily Australian based and the younger ones less so.

Ill post my teams in a bit.
Tamim Iqbal is the good's I reckon. Give him an openers position, the qualification for this team is they have to had played Tests first people. Jeez.
Where does it state this criteria? Goughy said he went by this criteria, but it doesn't specifically state it in the original post.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Reckon thats a good criteria then. ;)

'World' XI, took at is performing on the World stage, if it was domestic alone, heck Sinclair may get a run!

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
I'd allow one-day, first-class and under-19 cricketers as well - of course, not having international experience will count against them during selection.

Last edited:

Gowza

U19 12th Man
umar akmal (17) from pakistan averages 77 in FC cricket (only 9 matches though), maybe someone who has seen him play could shed some light on the lad.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think it'd be fair to use any player for the last U-19 world cup in the 21 or under side because that was the world stage, in a way.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I guess you can use pretty much any player, but apart from a handful of Australian batsmen all the players in the older teams will be Test cricketers.