• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle #654685 - Kumar Sangakkara vs Kevin Pietersen

The better Test batsman?

• Total voters

lionheart

School Boy/Girl Captain
Went KP, Sanga is world-class but I think KP has potential to be an all-time great which some reason I don't think Sanga will ever be regarded as.
your sentiment intrigues me, care to elaborate?

ps. i'm not having a go or anything of that nature, just genuinely curious.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Right now, Sangakkara is the more accomplished batsman and just looks more classical than KP but I reckon, once KP really puts it together, he'll be a world-beater. Has all the tools; hits the ball as hard as anyone, shots to all parts of the ground (doesn't seem to have as obvious a leg-side bias as he did early on), plays pace and spin very well, rock-solid defence and a real ticker for the fight.

My impression of him is formed right from his first Test; in the midst of one of the worst Test collapses I've ever seen and McGrath bowling brilliantly, he was almost serene. If you didn't know, there's no way you'd have thought it was his first Test. Some batsmen never play that well under pressure. He was even more the complete player on his Ashes 06/07 tour, his ton in Adelaide was a gem. One of those guys who is constantly re-assessing where he wants to be, how and why as evidenced by his transformation from a bloke who hit a long-ball to the more patient player we see today. Personally, I think he's gone too far into the patient territory and once he strikes that balance, he'll be awfully tough to stop in any conditions against anyone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My impression of him is formed right from his first Test; in the midst of one of the worst Test collapses I've ever seen and McGrath bowling brilliantly, he was almost serene. If you didn't know, there's no way you'd have thought it was his first Test. Some batsmen never play that well under pressure. He was even more the complete player on his Ashes 06/07 tour
Indeed, just frustrating that he was so wastefully poor in between times (and he was - between his 3rd Test and the 2006/07 tour almost all the big innings he played were with help from let-offs).

Could and should have done so much better. Has and did, of course, in said tour and summer 2007.

PY

International Coach
your sentiment intrigues me, care to elaborate?

ps. i'm not having a go or anything of that nature, just genuinely curious.
I'm not sure to be honest, I think it has a lot to do with the way they play the game. KP has a more bombastic style than Sangakarra and has much greater potential to rip a game out of your hands and throw it 100 miles away.

I basically wanted to say what T_C says a few posts earlier. I think KP isn't quite at his peak yet, and I think Sanga is at his peak so KP I believe has the step further to go but I'd still take him now over Sanga. The decision is on a knife-edge but as I said, him playing for England might tip the balance towards him.

Isolator

State 12th Man
but there's just something about KP, the aggression, control and general audacity when he's on song that makes me never want to get up when he's batting. I'm a massive fan of style and correctness, but the later category just pips it in what I enjoy watching more. Can watch both play all day though.
Yeah, agreed, provided he gets out of this current phase of boringness. There was a real aura about him, especially in the ODI series against SA and in the 05 Ashes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not sure to be honest, I think it has a lot to do with the way they play the game. KP has a more bombastic style than Sangakarra and has much greater potential to rip a game out of your hands and throw it 100 miles away.

I basically wanted to say what T_C says a few posts earlier. I think KP isn't quite at his peak yet, and I think Sanga is at his peak so KP I believe has the step further to go but I'd still take him now over Sanga. The decision is on a knife-edge but as I said, him playing for England might tip the balance towards him.
I can't see Pietersen doing any better than Sangakkara has the last 2 years or so. I'll be surprised, in fact, were he to do as well.

BTW do you have to "to be honest"? Sounds so awful. Is TBHing really that 'ard?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just sounds so horribly forced whenever anyone types-out "to be honest" on CW TBH.

PY

International Coach
To be honest (:p), I dislike acronyms quite a lot. Think it's a slightly improved version of text speak.

Again, expecting plenty of acronym only posts in reply...don't disappoint people.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
DWTA, very strongly. IMO that's exceptionally poor form TBH, I mean FFS how are acronyms anything like txtspk. WTF?

Bugger it, I CBA arguing this nonsense. FWIW, Youngmeister, you're in a small minority BTW.

:dry: Well you did ask for it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
DWTA, very strongly. IMO that's exceptionally poor form TBH, I mean FFS how are acronyms anything like txtspk. WTF?

Bugger it, I CBA arguing this nonsense. FWIW, Youngmeister, you're in a small minority BTW.

:dry: Well you did ask for it.
Would have been classier to abstain, TBH.

Ah dammit.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I can't see Pietersen doing any better than Sangakkara has the last 2 years or so. I'll be surprised, in fact, were he to do as well.

BTW do you have to "to be honest"? Sounds so awful. Is TBHing really that 'ard?
As long as you're OK, Richard.