• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Academy Cup in Bangladesh

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Fixture - Four day matches
04-07 April: BD vs SA 1st four-day match at Jessore
09-12 April: BD vs SA 2nd four-day match at Khulna

26-29 April: BD vs Pak 1st four-day match at Bogra
02-05 May: BD vs Pak 2nd four-day match at Bogra

One-day Tri-Series:
15 April: BD vs SA at Chittagong
16 April: BD vs Pak at Chittagong
17 April: SA vs Pak at Chittagong

19 April: BD vs SA at Chittagong
20 April: SA vs Pak at Chittagong
21 April: BD vs Pak at Chittagong

23 Apri: Final at Mirpur

Bangladesh Academy Squad:
Jahirul Islam (VC), Imrul Kayes, Nasiruddin Faruque (Capt), Mehrab Hossain Jr, Shamsur Rahman, Naeem Islam, Mushfiqur Rahim (WK), Suhrawardi Shuvo, Enamul Haque Jr, Dollar Mahmud, Talha Jubair, Nazmul Hossain, Raihanuddin Arafat, Nazmus Sadat
Coach: Ruwan Kalpage

Pakistan Academy Squad:
Khurram Manzoor (VC), Khalid Latif (Capt), Asad Shafiq, Ali Asad, Ahmed Shehzad, Azhar Ali, Naeem Anjum (WK), Anwar Ali, Adil Raza, Mohammad Aamer, Azharullah, Imad Wasim, Yasir Shah, Raheel Majeed
Coch: Ijaz Ahmed

South Africa Academy Squad:

Matthew Arnold, Sammy-Joe Avontuur, Bradley Barnes, Richard Das Neves, CJ de Villiers, Reeza Hendricks, Rushdi Jappie, Mondli Mahlombe, Mafinki Serame, Mthokozisi Shezi, Abdul Aziz Temoor, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Dane Vilas, Neil Wagner
Coach: Barney Mohamed

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'd put Bangladesh as clear favourites there, although it depends on how fast either of the opposing pace attacks is. But we can put together a strong batting lineup from that lot.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
SA have a decent pace attack, IMO. Mjekula and Cornelius Johannes du Preez de Villiers will do good. Better than Nazgul, at any rate.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Mjekula has been called back by his franchise. SA U19 captain Wayne Parnell and his deputy Jonathan Vandiar will join the academy team at a later stage.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I'd put Bangladesh as clear favourites there, although it depends on how fast either of the opposing pace attacks is. But we can put together a strong batting lineup from that lot.
I can assure you its a very well balanced and strong Pakistan line-up.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Bangladesh Academy team has six test players in the team - Mehrab Hossain Jr, Mushfiqur Rahim, Enamul Haque Jr, Talha Jubair, Nazmul Hossain, and Sajidul Islam (will join the team for 2nd four day match). All those players have been included in the national team prematurely, I think BCB is doing the right thing by putting them back in the academy (although it's just a matter of time Mushfiq and Enamul come back to the national team).

Jungle Jumbo

Bangladesh Academy team has six test players in the team - Mehrab Hossain Jr, Mushfiqur Rahim, Enamul Haque Jr, Talha Jubair, Nazmul Hossain, and Sajidul Islam (will join the team for 2nd four day match). All those players have been included in the national team prematurely, I think BCB is doing the right thing by putting them back in the academy (although it's just a matter of time Mushfiq and Enamul comeback to the national team).
I think it's a bit harsh to say that they were included in the national team prematurely. Sure, they would probably in an ideal world have benefited from being given longer to develop as players, but they were the best options available for the national side and so got the go ahead. Was Tamim Iqbal picked prematurely?

Mushfiqur hit 145 in a DPL game today, on the back of an 86 the match beforehand.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Jumbo, I don't mind wild card entries into the ODI squad, but selectors need to be lot more careful when bringing new players in the test team. Nazmul Hossain, Mehrab Hossain Jr, and Sajidul Islam were far from ready when they were given their test debuts (and I don't think BCB had no option but drafting those guys at those points). Talha Jubair is now wreckage of a genuine fast bowler because he has not been protected well during his teenage years.

About Mushfiq, I hope the break from the national team will do him good and that he will come back to be a consistent performer.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

Jumbo, I don't mind wild card entries into the ODI squad, but selectors need to be lot more careful when bringing new players in the test team. Nazmul Hossain, Mehrab Hossain Jr, and Sajidul Islam were far from ready when they were given their test debuts (and I don't think BCB had no option but drafting those guys at those points). Talha Jubair is now wreckage of a genuine fast bowler because he has not been protected well during his teenage years.
I've never rated Nazmul at all anyway, but Sajidul Islam actually looked alright in New Zealand - it was the perfect tour for his to be drafted in on. The alternative was to drag out Sharif again, which I don't think anyone wants to see. Ditto with Mehrab, who else was there to open? Others had been tried and had failed. Talha Jubair was a strange one... came from nowhere, then disappeared through injury even though he had some pace. In those early years, I think it was more important to try to put out the best side possible and defend our Test status than protect young players.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Mehrab was brought in the test team as a middle order batsman (I am not talking about the failed experiment to make him an ODI opener). At that point he was not in his best form, and we had many other middle order options to consider.

Given the circumstance, I guess Sajid's induction in the test team was justifiable.

Jungle Jumbo

Mehrab was brought in the test team as a middle order batsman (I am not talking about the failed experiment to make him an ODI opener). At that point he was not in his best form, and we had many other middle order options to consider.

Given the circumstance, I guess Sajid's induction in the test team was justifiable.
Ah yes sorry, I'm confusing Mehrab's ODI debut with his Test debut - as you say there are plenty of middle-order batsmen around. Should be an interesting series.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
Bangladeshi selectors made a curious decision to use two sets of pacers for two four-day matches against SA. So Rubel Hossain, Sajidul Islam, and Mahbubul Alam will replce Dollar Mahmud, Talha Jubair, and Nazmul Hossain for the second match. Selectors said heat is main reason they don't want same set of pacers for both matches.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
News Update

Sohail Khan, Wahab Riaz, Fawad Alam, and Sarfaraz Ahmed will join the Pakistan Academy team for four-day matches.

Jungle Jumbo

Our chances of getting anything out of the four-day games have pretty much disappeared down the pan. Sohail Khan is probably a cut above any of our pacers and Fawad Alam destroyed our attack IIRC on an Academy tour a year and a half back. Not good. It'll be a challenge though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa Academy Squad:[/B]
Matthew Arnold, Sammy-Joe Avontuur, Bradley Barnes, Richard Das Neves, CJ de Villiers, Reeza Hendricks, Rushdi Jappie, Mondli Mahlombe, Mafinki Serame, Mthokozisi Shezi, Abdul Aziz Temoor, Shadley van Schalkwyk, Dane Vilas, Neil Wagner
Coach: Barney Mohamed[/SIZE][/FONT]
Haven't heard of the cricketers in bold. Squad looked pretty decent a couple of weeks back but its probably better to have the likes of Parnell, Vandiar playing for their franchises (regardless of it being Pro 20) than playing top heavy Pakistani and Bangladeshi sides - especially when the team is composed of cricketers who you have to be an ardent supporter of provincial cricket to know of.

Couple of decent names though, Arnold will be one of the quickest bowlers on show whilst Barnes is the exceptional keeper. Shame a few of the other U-19 boys (Vallie, Rossouw, Engelbrecht) are no where to be seen though.

Efaz

U19 12th Man
BD Academy vs SA Academy 1st four-day match

Brief score after 3rd day:

SA ACADEMY 311/10 Over - 86.4; Reeza Hendricks 131, Shadley van Schalkwyk 54, Nazmul Hossain 4/63
BD ACADEMY 319/4 Over - 92; Imrul Kayes 151, Naeem Islam 96*

Note: 1st day was washed out.

Last edited:

Efaz

U19 12th Man
BD academy won the four-day match (became a three-day match after first day got washed out) against SA academy by an innings and 68 runs.

Scorecard