• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can the chatter

99*

International Debutant
Disagree with the article. The idea of 'sledging' is different between no only nations but individual players/umpires aswell. There are some things (racism/homophobia or ***uality/religion) should be banned and punished, however to ban a wicketkeeper saying "You got him swinging mate." is beyond common sense. An umpire should be able to define if something is offensive by using common sense and players should know what is and is not acceptable. It does not require a complete ban on 'sledging' it requires education.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
however to ban a wicketkeeper saying "You got him swinging mate." is beyond common sense. An umpire should be able to define if something is offensive by using common sense and players should know what is and is not acceptable. It does not require a complete ban on 'sledging' it requires education.
It's clear you haven't read the article.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Good Article. As usual Chappeli is spot on.

"...The act of working on the opposition's "mental disintegration", as preached by former Australian captain Steve Waugh, is premeditated and a recent phenomenon. There were words spoken on the field when I played, some of them angry, some abusive and some humorous, but they were the result of spur-of-the moment action and reaction. If someone overstepped the mark he was spoken to by the umpire, and if that didn't resolve the issue the player was reported..."

Hope the above ends the discussion about 'Oh Sledging has always existed.."

99*

International Debutant
It's clear you haven't read the article.
Why's that? Chappell has said that
"What they need to do is ask umpires to report any player guilty of abusing an opponent and then make sure the first offender receives a stiff penalty."
"Abuse" can mean different thing to different people. Of course theirs obvious abuse, but then to say that someone saying "Well bowled, Deadly" should be banned as well. I'd never play the game again if, while fielding within earshot of the batsman can not say anything to my own bowler. If Chappell wanted to bat in silence he should've put ear plugs in his ears.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unfortunately, these points were made by a person who was amongst the worst sledgers in history and whose team was largely responsible for spreading the practice throughout the game

Obviously, it is a case of one rule for him, another rules for others

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
but then to say that someone saying "Well bowled, Deadly" should be banned as well.
No, but Randall didn't say it to praise his bowler, he read it again,"..Derek Randall's constant, "Well bowled, Deadly" from silly mid-off every time I played a Derek Underwood delivery with the middle of the bat,..."

Suppose you are a bowler and every time you bowl a great bowl, the batsman at the umpire's und shouts '..Pathetic bowling..' how long can you take it ?

99*

International Debutant
No, but Randall didn't say it to praise his bowler, he read it again,"..Derek Randall's constant, "Well bowled, Deadly" from silly mid-off every time I played a Derek Underwood delivery with the middle of the bat,..."

Suppose you are a bowler and every time you bowl a great bowl, the batsman at the umpire's und shouts '..Pathetic bowling..' how long can you take it ?
I've actually done that, well not so harsh but words to that effect for an over. That was because he was sledging my partner at the other end.
I'd have no problem if I bowled a delivery and the batsman started talking about how it's poor and how I have a bend arm or whatever, I dismiss it and ignore him.
The fact that I open the batting and I hear the slips all the time, it does not distract me, I ignore it and know its stupid. If you let stupid commens such as a close up fielder saying "good ball" every ball then you either need to take up golf or learn to concentrate on the ball. Think of it like bullying, most parents and teachers say 'Just ignore him and he'll go away". If you apply that to so called 'sledging' then its nowhere near as effective.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Think of it like bullying, most parents and teachers say 'Just ignore him and he'll go away". If you apply that to so called 'sledging' then its nowhere near as effective.
Any parent or teacher advising to ignore consistent bullying of his kids is an idiot. Sledging used to bully an opponent must be curbed.

99*

International Debutant
Any parent or teacher advising to ignore consistent bullying of his kids is an idiot. Sledging used to bully an opponent must be curbed.
Not a physical bully, a verbal one. And it does work, I've done it and so have many of my friends. If someone starts talking 'smack' to me I ignore it and 9 times out of ten they give up. If you'd like to call the people who raised me 'idiots', that's your own 'sledge' toward me.

What you have to realise is is that cricketers are not children. They can take care of themselves and if they are unable to stand someone saying "Thats a good ball." Then they do need to find a new sport.

Oh, and just on the "That's a good ball". How do you know it's a sledge? It could be a way to boost the bowlers confidence.

pasag

RTDAS
A bit rich of Chappell, who is credited with starting sledging as an artform in the modern game to now come out against what it's become. It's your monster and he's as responsible for it as much as anyone else today. If he feels this way he should be apologising for it, not trying to heap the blame onto Waugh and point fingers.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
If Chappelli said it, it must be right. Right?

Slate me for being ad-hominem, but you're taking the word of a man who's paid to dispense outlandish crap.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good Article. As usual Chappeli is spot on.

"...The act of working on the opposition's "mental disintegration", as preached by former Australian captain Steve Waugh, is premeditated and a recent phenomenon. There were words spoken on the field when I played, some of them angry, some abusive and some humorous, but they were the result of spur-of-the moment action and reaction. If someone overstepped the mark he was spoken to by the umpire, and if that didn't resolve the issue the player was reported..."

Total bs - stump mikes were introduced during the Chappell era and the broadcaster was forced to turn them off because of public complaints about the constant stream of foul language

Sledging was far, far worse in the late 70s than it is now

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
As long as it's the umpires doing the reporting, I've no problems. The faeces really hits the fan when it's the players doing the tattling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A bit rich of Chappell, who is credited with starting sledging as an artform in the modern game to now come out against what it's become. It's your monster and he's as responsible for it as much as anyone else today. If he feels this way he should be apologising for it, not trying to heap the blame onto Waugh and point fingers.
So Ian Chappell is blaming Stephen Waugh for something - this is news why?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah, in an earlier article he came out and said that he is considered to be responsible for it, but what they considered sledging back then was completely different than now. Back then it'd be a couple words here and there, not constant chatter.

I have yet to find a source who says anything except the fact that the West Indian fast bowlers managed to play the game hard without resorting to abuse or sledging. If you find a source that says otherwise, I'd like to hear it. All the contemporary accounts are pretty unanimous in that regard.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I caught a few old footage of Sir Viv, and all he does is give you that smirk before he eventually smash your bowlers to all corners of the park. Can that be considered sledging? :laugh:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Slate me for being ad-hominem, but you're taking the word of a man who's paid to dispense outlandish crap.
Chappelli isn't the only one thinks that Waugh's 'mental disintegration' crap was premeditated. Aussie Institute of Psychologists :-

"Waugh strikes me as the sort of person who doesn't say or do anything unless he's really thought about it and he's doing it for a reason." :cool: