• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can the chatter

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not a physical bully, a verbal one. And it does work, I've done it and so have many of my friends. If someone starts talking 'smack' to me I ignore it and 9 times out of ten they give up. If you'd like to call the people who raised me 'idiots', that's your own 'sledge' toward me.
Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will work for everyone. Also when getting into this kind of argument, please dont take things personal. No one is calling your parents/teachers 'idiot', it is simply a mis-representation of my point. Verbal bullying is as worse as physical and should not be tolerated or ignored.

Anyone telling that it will go away by ignoring it, doesn't know what he is talking about.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Hmm...how are they gonna monitor sledging in other languages? By many accounts, the subcontinental players sledge in other languages, such as Urdu and Hindi? Monitoring 'sledging' in an international tongue is one thing; monitoring 'sledging' in a national language or even a local dialect is another entirely.

Never mind the subjectivity of 'sledging'. A sledge to a player, or umpire for that matter, may not be to another. That makes it nigh-on impossible to enforce, IMO.

As for Ian Chappell, he despises Steve Waugh. Even Waugh has noted this. Elements of Chappell's criticism of Waugh may have some validity. For instance, his criticism of his captaincy - namely, that he could get inflexible when he couldn't dismiss the opposition quickly - seems to have some merit. The Kolkata miracle of 2001 (or even the garangutan Dravid-Laxman and Laxman-Tendulkar partnerships of 2003/04) are a case in point. Say what you want about Ponting's captaincy (which is dubious on a bad day), but I doubt he'd allow that (and indeed never has, even on some plumb batting decks). However, I take the rest of Chappell's comments on Waugh with a grain of salt, so to speak.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm...how are they gonna monitor sledging in other languages? By many accounts, the subcontinental players sledge in other languages, such as Urdu and Hindi? Monitoring 'sledging' in an international tongue is one thing; monitoring 'sledging' in a national language or even a local dialect is another entirely.
It is not very hard to figure out, you know in almost all the test matches one of the umpires(3rd/4th) is local, commentators are local. Keep the stump mic on, as simple as that.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
It is not very hard to figure out, you know in almost all the test matches one of the umpires(3rd/4th) is local, commentators are local. Keep the stump mic on, as simple as that.
That may (not definitely, particularly if they're speaking in dialect) help deal with the issue in those LOTE-speaking cricketer's home country, but it will be harder to decipher what they're saying if they're touring non-subcontinental countries, where nobody would be familiar with the language. So the problem may be a touch harder to solve than you think. :dry:

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
That may (not definitely, particularly if they're speaking in dialect) help deal with the issue in those LOTE-speaking cricketer's home country, but it will be harder to decipher what they're saying if they're touring non-subcontinental countries, where nobody would be familiar with the language. So the problem may be a touch harder to solve than you think. :dry:
Doesn't a sledge lose its purpose if its in a language the victim can't understand anyway? If I had a bowler sledge me in Afrikaans, It'd simply fly over my head..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Throwing insults at people which they do not understand is a treasured thing to do.

In certain circles, obviously.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Doesn't a sledge lose its purpose if its in a language the victim can't understand anyway? If I had a bowler sledge me in Afrikaans, It'd simply fly over my head..
Yeah, but doesn't the ICC wanna crack down on sledging? :p

It shows just how absurd this new 'anti-sledging' stuff is, really.

Nice LOTE posts by the way, fellas. :)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My kids are doing LOTE at primary school.

When I first heard the subject name, i thought it was about this bloke: