• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The new hybrid

Leslie1

U19 Captain
With the emergence of Vettori's exploits in batting, in some cases to the detriment to him as a bowler of spin, the question must be raised... is this the new prototype for a spinner?

Should a spinner, like the wicket keeper, be an accomplished batsman as well?

Panesar is the traditional spinner - can't bat, can't field only bowls well. Murali is another traditional spinner. At least in my mind. Name other spinners in the world, upcoming or not (like Harris) that doesn't spin the ball that much, but can bat a bit.

sideshowtim

Banned
Australia has a ton of them.

Until recently, Hogg. Then there's Beau Casson, C. Bailey, Chris Simpson, Nathan Hauritz, Jason Krezja.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I raised the question because Vettori in this past season or so, seems to have a hold on his position in the side NOT as a spinner, but as a batsman.

Are any of those spinners coming through the system sideshow?

jeevan

International 12th Man
Most of all Indian spinners in and around the international teams can bat a bit, atleast to be a #8. Even Kumble, who predates Vettori.

Harbhajan always had some amount of timing and coordination, since his comeback has been a better batsman.(two 50's in 3 tests in Australia)
Chawla is Ok with the bat
Powar is practically a domesic allrounder (FC batting avg just over 30)
YK Pathan is an off-spinning all rounder. (FC avg > 35)

Only Murali Kartik is a #10 or so.

sideshowtim

Banned
I raised the question because Vettori in this past season or so, seems to have a hold on his position in the side NOT as a spinner, but as a batsman.

Are any of those spinners coming through the system sideshow?
They all played Australian first-class cricket this summer, and given our recent spin shortage most of their names have been thrown around for national selection. The fact that they can bat a bit are their only redeeming features for me in general though...Their bowling is deadset average.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
From the Kenyan Perspective all the frontline spinners are also batsmen in their own right even Hiren Varaiya who bats at 11 in ODI's reportedly struck a ton in a club game a few weeks back:-O

ret

International Debutant
Ind had Shastri, who started his career has a spinner and then eventually ended up opening the batting for India .... He was crowned Champion of Champions when Ind won that tournament in Melbourne in 1985 .... later on, he got some stick for his snail like batting

Currently, I don't think Ind has a bowling all-rounder who is a spinner but Pathan is a good prospect, i.e. someone who has good batting ability, along with bowling with decent pace and swing

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
As a spinner, the idea is that you have to able to bat and field these days, because there are going to be times that you may be picked, and you'll only be relied on to bowl in the second innings. So you have to be able to provide something to the side in the other three innings, rather than being carried the whole time.

Athlai

Not Terrible
As a spinner, the idea is that you have to able to bat and field these days, because there are going to be times that you may be picked, and you'll only be relied on to bowl in the second innings. So you have to be able to provide something to the side in the other three innings, rather than being carried the whole time.
Which raises the question, MSP is he really worth it?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Which raises the question, MSP is he really worth it?
On some pitches, definitely. On others, perhaps not. It can sometimes be hard to tell before you've started playing on it, though, so England have decided he's always worth the gamble.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
One more question. How anti-Vettori can someone get?

I get the picture already, do you have to go on and on and on about it?