• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why is ODI cricket hated by many?

sideshowtim

Banned
I can't speak for everyone, but I love both forms. Obviously Test cricket is the most brilliant, true form of the game but ODI cricket is still wonderful.

ret

International Debutant
I love all forms of cricket .... anything where there is a good contest b/w the bat and the ball is too much to resist for a cricket lover like me :)

ret

International Debutant
why do Test cricket lovers usually hate ODI"s? To me they are both exciting in their own ways.
btw, if you will talk to 1000 ppl around you, you might find that ppl like ODIs more than Tests

deira

Banned
lol how can it be boring? boring is one of the things which ODI cricket is not. Test cricket can be a lot more boring especially the first two days of play.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Cricket is probably the only sport in the world to have so many variations of while still played by the same players.

Imagine golf had a professional 9 hole par3s tour

Imagine basketball had their NBA players playing in a 3 on 3 format instead.

Imagine soccer had a 1 on 1 - goal keep versus the striker and that is the 20 20 of soccer.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
lol how can it be boring? boring is one of the things which ODI cricket is not. Test cricket can be a lot more boring especially the first two days of play.
Nope. ODI cricket is way more boring than Tests. It's all scripted. Test cricket is where you'll see the real ebb and flow in a match.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
^ how is it scripted?
Fielding restrictions for the first 10 overs, start off scoring quick runs, slow down a bit until around 30th over, look to double you score in the last 20 overs. More recently throw in a few power plays, which for me hasn't really done much to improve the middle overs.

While that is a crude summary, many matches have a very similar story. There is far more scope for unpredictability in Test cricket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind ODI cricket. It's an inferior form of the game but I still enjoy watching it. I really don't enjoy watching 20/20, but I'm fine with the other forms.

Nutter

U19 Debutant
ODI cricket is my favourite form of the game. Enjoying test cricket much more lately because there seem to be less teams playing for draws (or at least one team is good enough to force a result).

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To fit in with the rest of the crowd. Preferring tests to ODIs is fine, and I do (and am upset at the 2 test series between Eng and Ind coming up), but sometimes the ODI hatred on this board is so overboard. Particularly since I bet 2-3 years ago they didn't hold these views.

Craig

World Traveller
I take each form of the game for what it is really. You know what your going to get from T20, so accept it and enjoy it as I don't think it promises anything it doesn't deliever, but if people don't like it then that is fine. I just don't see the point in acting like a snob about it.

ODI cricket at times can be just as unpredictable as Test cricket and Test cricket can be about as predictable as ODI cricket (look at the Australia v Sri Lanka Test series recently).

masterblaster

International Captain
Variety is the spice of life. While I undoubtedly love my test cricket, I appreciate one day cricket and what it brings to the game in general. You can enjoy both for what they are and even though ODI's have a tendency to be somewhat predictable, it's still produced some wonderful and memorable performances over the years. I also like how the emergence of ODI cricket has made athleticism and good running and fielding all the more important.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I love both forms. More so ODI's as they are more accessible for me.

I think some people on here 'hate' ODI's because they think its cool. Come on, it IS cricket. Did you play 4-5day matches when you were little? No, you played limited overs. Same bloody thing.