• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

why is ODI cricket hated by many?

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
I love both forms. More so ODI's as they are more accessible for me.

I think some people on here 'hate' ODI's because they think its cool. Come on, it IS cricket. Did you play 4-5day matches when you were little? No, you played limited overs. Same bloody thing.
Agree. Everybody chugs in the beer all the time, but there are those who'd rather pretend they're congenital fine wine connoisseurs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I certainly don't hate ODIs or anything like. I actively enjoy them in fact.

I don't think people who're sufficiently big followers of cricket to post on a forum ostensibly dedicated to the sport are necessarily the most representative sample tho. The chances are most of us tragics/borderline cases are going to prefer the longer form, as I myself do. The more casual fans (whose dollar is as valuable as ours) might prefer the quick fix of the abbreviated form.

masterblaster

International Captain
I certainly don't hate ODIs or anything like. I actively enjoy them in fact.

I don't think people who're sufficiently big followers of cricket to post on a forum ostensibly dedicated to the sport are necessarily the most representative sample tho. The chances are most of us tragics/borderline cases are going to prefer the longer form, as I myself do. The more casual fans (whose dollar is as valuable as ours) might prefer the quick fix of the abbreviated form.
That's true. But also there are a lot of people on these forums (myself included) who love just about every form of cricket and appreciate what they all bring to the table. I'm sure somebody has said it before, but 'If it's cricket, I'll watch it'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Variety is the spice of life. While I undoubtedly love my test cricket, I appreciate one day cricket and what it brings to the game in general. You can enjoy both for what they are and even though ODI's have a tendency to be somewhat predictable, it's still produced some wonderful and memorable performances over the years.
Agree with this post most in this thread. I find Twenty20 boring as hell and will only watch it if there's absolutely nothing else to do (and that's nothing but watch the grass grow - I'll go for a walk before watching a T20) - I wont get\stay up in the night to watch a Twenty20 the way I will a Test\ODI.

But while Tests are obviously the form I enjoy most, I feel that if Tests were the only thing that existed cricket would be far more boring than it is now. ODIs are nice for a change. And the World Cup, which would not be possible if Tests were the only game-form, can (though the last 2 are not good examples, of course) be a terrific spectacle.

The "all ODIs are predictable" is of course nonsense - there's some, plenty indeed, that follow a fairly pre-guessable course. But there's always more than enough that hold enough unpredictables to keep me interested - if others don't find there's enough unpredictable stuff, well, whatever floats your boat really.

If the game were played over 60 rather than 50 overs that'd probably be better still, and I hope maybe sometime that might be tried again, now there's floodlights at most grounds (the lack of daylight outside England was the biggest reason the 60-over ODI had to go). But we'll have to wait and see.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Good thread guys, not sure if this is mentioned, but 20 20 draws bypartisan crowds to the game. I normally see it as "A Concise Guide to Cricket" and once these people are drawn in, they start to become fans and get into the tests / ODIs. A bit like if you want to study the game, you'll get into tests, but if you just want the thrills without the 'buildup', watch the 20 20. ODI is somewhere in between.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thing is, while there might be a small number of people who get drawn into the real game because of Twenty20, same way there's some fans of the real game who actually like Twenty20, overwhelmingly Twenty20 is a game for people who don't like cricket. Most people who attend Twenty20 will never become people who watch Test cricket.

This isn't neccessarily a problem, if the game can cash-in on them. But the risk is that people who should be cricket fans will become Twenty20 fans, with the "to fit in" mentality, and by chain, cricket will become more like Twenty20.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Thing is, while there might be a small number of people who get drawn into the real game because of Twenty20, same way there's some fans of the real game who actually like Twenty20, overwhelmingly Twenty20 is a game for people who don't like cricket. Most people who attend Twenty20 will never become people who watch Test cricket.

This isn't neccessarily a problem, if the game can cash-in on them. But the risk is that people who should be cricket fans will become Twenty20 fans, with the "to fit in" mentality, and by chain, cricket will become more like Twenty20.
As in, they like T20 therefore they don't like 'real cricket'? Or because they only watch T20 because they don't like 'real cricket'?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
ODI cricket is not that bad its just lacks the added drama and tragedy of Test cricket.

*makes jibe at the fact that only certain countries have permission to play Test cricket, whilst really being upset that he has no one to be jingoistic bout at this level*:naughty:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Well I don't know about that, I mean, how big are th BArmy Army? We got sold out crowds in the Wellington test, which is something you don't see in New Zealand since god knows how long ago. Tests! Sold out??

And also the radiosport talkback generally are filled with cricket calls, I can't remember that happening either. Dominating over rugby, even though the talkback hosts still find it obligatory to talk about rugby at times. But given the choice between cricket chats to rugby, people generally call up about cricket. I can't see that changing anytime soon, at least not until the All Blacks season starts up again.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That's true. But also there are a lot of people on these forums (myself included) who love just about every form of cricket and appreciate what they all bring to the table. I'm sure somebody has said it before, but 'If it's cricket, I'll watch it'.
What about rain affected 20/20 matches that become 10 over games of cricket.

Surely something's gotta give? :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As in, they like T20 therefore they don't like 'real cricket'? Or because they only watch T20 because they don't like 'real cricket'?
As in they're the sorts of people who are never going to like real cricket, but like Twenty20 because it's not actually terribly cricket-like.

The non-like of cricket comes first, the like of Twenty20 second.