• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

a cause for concern?

ret

International Debutant
The Indian batting collapses happening frequently are a cause for concern

Today, we saw how Sehwag's good work was turned in to a mess by some pathetic batting. the scores from #4 onwards, i.e. 0, 24, 39, 16, 3, 0, 0, 4, are absolutely crap, esp considering the nature of the pitch .... that crap batting performance compliments the one with the ball and fielding

Recently, we got to see that in Melbourne, Sydney [though some can argue that bad umpiring played its part], the last inning at Adelaide and we can pick many from the past but the ones that are striking are the collapse in Karachi in 2006 and against the same team in Banglore in 2005

It's more frustrating when the hype of the Big 4 is around, because of the obvious high expectations. The failures make one debate as to how big 2 of the big 4 are, i.e. Ganguly and Laxman because their record are not that exceptional

Laxman

Ganguly

So what are we suppose to do if this trend continues? lower the expectations, hope that someday we will see some consistency and preach that there are no alternatives, or look for alternatives

deira

Banned
lol you have other things to worry about then this, batting collapses happen in every team. no big deal

ret

International Debutant
lol you have other things to worry about then this, batting collapses happen in every team. no big deal
yeah but 4 times in last 5 tests and one on an absolutely batting paradise is a cause for concern .... especially when batting is seen as the major strength

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly has been one of the best Indian batsmen in recent times, though no one has really stood out with total consistency over the last year. I wouldn't be calling for his head just yet.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Look, yesterday they were trying to push the score along. If you're going to smash them for not playing their shots, you have to accept the fact that sometimes it won't work when they try it. You can't have it both ways. If you want them to score quicker, you have to accept the risks that come along with it. If there were no downsides to scoring very fast, everyone would do it.

However, the original point is valid in that when we actually did need to bat out a couple session at the end of a Test, we've been found wanting on more than one occassion. Say what you want about Sydney, but we should never have lost that many wickets. Dravid got a shocker, and maybe there was one other really bad decision, but you can't really excuse everyone else.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Every team collapses.

This annoys me so much, every team's fans always say "oh typical Indian/Pakistani/English/New Zealand/Sri Lankan/West Indian collapse"

Particularly when a team collapses on day 5, its like "wow, they always do that"

Actually, almost every team does bar Australia.

sideshowtim

Banned
Every team collapses.

This annoys me so much, every team's fans always say "oh typical Indian/Pakistani/English/New Zealand/Sri Lankan/West Indian collapse"

Particularly when a team collapses on day 5, its like "wow, they always do that"

Even we've been doing it lately mate :p

I don't think there's anything to be concerned about. All the players were trying to do the right thing and force the rate, which every Indian batsman in that line up should've been doing. They all did it bar one so you can't blame them.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Every team collapses.

FWIW, a West Indian collapses is far more dramatic than any other.

ret

International Debutant
a debacle due to the need to score quickly is acceptable but were they playing the slog overs? .... Ind needed to not only score quickly but also to get a decent lead which can be achieved by batting like we do in the middle overs in an ODI .... whats being overlooked is that it been happening too often and recently as often as 4 times in the last 5 tests

and if we were to lose against Australia at home [obviously due to a batting collapse], the reasons given would be, i guess, everyone loses to Australia :p

I see this problem with Indian batting being accepted sooner or later

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
India v South Africa, 1st Test, Chennai, 4th day
India surrender after Virender
Siddhartha Vaidyanathan in Chennai
March 29, 2008

A score of 159 for 9 in 49.1 overs sounds exciting. Fast bowlers running in hard on the fourth day, extracting bounce and rattling stumps, ought to be entertaining. Batsmen looking to score, bowlers trying to restrict from one end and attack from the other, fielders charged up, a hundred, some gorgeous strokeplay ... all points to an exciting day's cricket. What a near-capacity stadium witnessed, though, was far duller. A game which had sprung to life yesterday was put to bed once again.

India needed to show some initiative towards building a big lead, declare their intent and go for a win. Virender Sehwag didn't last too long but the rest paled in comparison when it came to setting the agenda. Rahul Dravid preferred to continue his guarded approach, Mahendra Singh Dhoni couldn't summon his dashing side and VVS Laxman, stuck with the tail, scratched around towards the end.

South Africa bowled much better today - no doubt about it - but India must ensure against an over-reliance on Sehwag, a trap they fell into regularly four years back. There was a time, around 2004, when Sehwag used to stand out from the rest of the batting order. Against Australia in 2003-2004 and Pakistan in early 2005, a few games changed complexion the moment he was dismissed. The Bangalore Test against Pakistan was a classic example. As long as Sehwag was in, India harboured hopes of winning; once he left, the rest couldn't even bat out two sessions.

Several opposition bowlers pointed out to how tough it was to bowl to Sehwag compared to the others. The common refrain was: Sehwag rattled your plans, the rest at least scored more predictably. Mohammad Asif even went to the extent of saying it was comparatively easy to bowl to Dravid because he rarely tried anything different.

The happenings today was some sort of a throwback to the days of Sehwag-dominated shows. As long as he was around, India could dream of 700 in quick time. Once he left, the rest couldn't summon the unconventional methods to counter the bowling. South Africa did bowl well but they were probably made to look a little better by batsmen adopting the straightforward approach.

Nobody, though, will doubt the intensity levels. Makhaya Ntini, who's not been that potent a force in the subcontinent, nipped out two early wickets in six balls before Dale Steyn put together the spell of the match that read: 8-1-15-4. It was his sixth spell and was delivered in the demanding mid-afternoon session and came with reverse-swing of high quality. He cranked up speeds around 145kph and kept it dart straight.

The ball to dismiss Dhoni was particularly fearsome, making the batsmen look rather silly for trying to walk down the track. "I didn't really see him charging," said Steyn. "I had always made up mind that we would two bouncers with the new ball that we had just got. So he is a big wicket for the way that he plays he can take the game away from anybody on his day. He wanted to score quickly so that was a key wicket to get."

There was some deadly reverse-swing as well, giving the tailenders no chance. Once it was straight and swinging, Steyn was always going to win the day. It was the sort of spell that set up their win in Pakistan last year and he showed he could let rip in tough conditions. "These balls are different to the balls that we play with, the Kookaburra balls," he said. "The key is to find out what works. Reverse-swing is a big factor in the subcontinent. We were lucky to get a ball change and the new ball that we got was reversing from ball one basically. I think now what we have to do is to come up with a good plan on how to get the ball to do that."

It also helped that India were going for the runs. "The fact that we were trying to push it along probably cost us a few wickets," said Dravid. "The idea was to push it along, in the end Steyn came and bowled a good spell of reverse swing. We couldn't accelerate with wickets falling."

All of which meant that the match is back to square one. India need someone to do a Sehwag with the ball if they aim to win this one. South Africa need something even more special if they are to even get close. Expect a good crowd on Sunday but, unless you're going for broke in a lottery, don't expect a result.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indvrsa/content/current/story/344442.html
a nice article that one^

jeevan

International 12th Man
Another recent Indian batting collapse from another much-hyped Indian cricket team can be found here:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausvind/engine/match/291356.html

But for one batsman, a part timer at that, we'd have registered a sub-50 score. From a team of world champions, no less. After this, in the first part of the CB series there were routine middle order collapses for a first few matches, and only the red-hot form of Gambhir and sensible play by Dhoni (Dravid-like tbh) and Rohit averted total disaster.

So this is not a problem caused by Ganguly and Laxman, and most certainly will not be solved by replacing them with Uthappa and Yuvraj.

Burgey

Well, they just took a test off Australia in Australia in a really close fought series, a number of matches of which might have gone either way, then they just chased 550-odd v SA and had a lead of 80 odd.
All teams are prone to collapses form time to time. I'd have thought India would be pretty happy with the way things are going atm.

ret

International Debutant
Another recent Indian batting collapse from another much-hyped Indian cricket team can be found here:

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausvind/engine/match/291356.html

But for one batsman, a part timer at that, we'd have registered a sub-50 score. From a team of world champions, no less. After this, in the first part of the CB series there were routine middle order collapses for a first few matches, and only the red-hot form of Gambhir and sensible play by Dhoni (Dravid-like tbh) and Rohit averted total disaster.

So this is not a problem caused by Ganguly and Laxman, and most certainly will not be solved by replacing them with Uthappa and Yuvraj.
Dude, they went on to win the CB series .... and you are comparing tests to ODIs/20T where ppl play differently!!!! And you bring in one 20-20 game, when a same/similar team won the 20-20 WC

The thread is started after constant collapses in the last 5 tests [4 times as shown] and out of concern. what you do is bring in totally irrelevant points to the table. And the way to show your point is if they are bad then these are bad too, without even taking into consideration the format!!!!

ret

International Debutant
Well, they just took a test off Australia in Australia in a really close fought series, a number of matches of which might have gone either way, then they just chased 550-odd v SA and had a lead of 80 odd.
All teams are prone to collapses form time to time. I'd have thought India would be pretty happy with the way things are going atm.
Hard fought for those who expected Australia to dominate but I think the series was gifted to Australia by inconsistent Indian batting .... the Melbourne Test was a batting failure, they collapsed in Sydney, did superbly in Perth, but again collapsed in the 2nd innings at Adelaide only to be rescued by a 100

in Chennai, the batting again collapsed, two of the guys who got runs batted with Sehwag, who was batting superbly and that makes batting easy for others at the other end

the Indian batting line up doesn't make me confident as of now .... let's hope that i m proved wrong and the guys pick it up from A'bad onwards