• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Herschelle Gibbs arrested

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know this is over dramatic, but you know what else is common in SA? Rape, murder, armed robbery, hijacking and pretty much every crime you can think of. So yes, drunk driving is common too, doesn't mean we should accept it as the norm or as not that bad.
Yes, I know that too. And look at my post - I wasn't saying we should consider it acceptable, but it is a norm. Therefore, while I'm sure it's a bit of a shame that Gibbs a) has induldged and b) has been caught, aren't the other abundance of crimes rather more of a worry?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone who gets caught drunk-driving deserves to be stigmatised, the fact that he is in the public eye means of course there will be more reaction.
You don't honestly mean that every single time some useless bugger gets pulled over on highway driving whilst over the limit the government and the media should spend loads of cash on a personal humiliation campaign centered around that one drunk driver? Imagine what sort of measures would befit a murdered, raped, or was robbed? What if one of your own personal friends found themselves at the centre of such a mass humiliation campaign?:huh:

Protean

State Regular
Yes, I know that too. And look at my post - I wasn't saying we should consider it acceptable, but it is a norm. Therefore, while I'm sure it's a bit of a shame that Gibbs a) has induldged and b) has been caught, aren't the other abundance of crimes rather more of a worry?
I know you weren't, didn't mean to imply that. Just don't think something being common should mean we should downplay its importance. Also it is easy to look at it as "a bit of a shame" but if he had killed someone would you look at it differently?

Maybe I also take it so seriously because I find the thought of a drunk Herschelle Gibbs driving around so close to me quite scary. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course it'd be different if he'd killed someone, and of course I'd be far from happy myself at the idea of being on the road with an abudance of drink-drivers.

Fortunately, though, he didn't. If he had, I guess we'd be hearing of him being charged not with drink-driving, but causing death by drunk and dangerous driving. Drink-driving in South Africa is a problem, I'm well aware it's a problem, so this case doesn't really surprise me very much. But certainly it's something I hope against hope will in time be sorted. Equally, though, there's other things I'd be rather more concerned about and would hope would be sorted first.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You don't honestly mean that every single time some useless bugger gets pulled over on highway driving whilst over the limit the government and the media should spend loads of cash on a personal humiliation campaign centered around that one drunk driver? Imagine what sort of measures would befit a murdered, raped, or was robbed? What if one of your own personal friends found themselves at the centre of such a mass humiliation campaign?:huh:
Sorry, where on earth did I say that? All I said was that drink drivers deserve to be stigmatised, that doesn't mean that the whole world should be informed of each one, but I was caught drink driving, I would expect anyone who found out about it to judge me. If somebody in the spotlight gets caught drink driving, then people are going to talk about it, and say that it's terrible.

I really think you misinterpreted my post tbh

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Gibbs must have been nigh on paralytic for from experience the South African police are fairly lenient when it comes to such things. That's presumably why the death tolls on the roads are so high.
Yeah. Maybe the fact it was CT makes it more strict. Ive never really spenty time down there apart from the odd short visit.

Usually though SA is very lenient with this type of stuff. Ive never drove drunk in my time in Bulgaria but did it all the time in South Africa. There were pretty good reasons for this. Mainly I didnt fancy getting killed using any other form of transport.

Myself and countless others have all looked down on drink driving and then spent time there and pretty soon everyone is doing it.

It doesnt make it right and obviously bad things regretably happen. However, there is often no alternative.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Yeah. Maybe the fact it was CT makes it more strict. Ive never really spenty time down there apart from the odd short visit.

Usually though SA is very lenient with this type of stuff. Ive never drove drunk in my time in Bulgaria but did it all the time in South Africa. There were pretty good reasons for this. Mainly I didnt fancy getting killed using any other form of transport.

Myself and countless others have all looked down on drink driving and then spent time there and pretty soon everyone is doing it.

It doesnt make it right and obviously bad things regretably happen. However, there is often no alternative.
I think the alternative would be to erm, not drink if you're going to drive. I dunno, seems pretty boneheadedly obvious to me.

The 2nd best would be to arrange a designated driver. The 3rd best one would be to arrange a private taxi (they're expensive, but hey, that should be the price for getting pissed by yourself) or the 4th, get drunk at home.

Hey, that's 4 already and none of which involve public transportation in any way. There is never, ever no alternative and people who drive while drunk are absolut morons. (See what I did there)

If none of these are available to you, then you should not drink on that occasion.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'll get it adjoourned I reckon, like our olympic swimmer will with his assault charges over here.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Of course it'd be different if he'd killed someone, and of course I'd be far from happy myself at the idea of being on the road with an abudance of drink-drivers.
Fortunately, though, he didn't. If he had, I guess we'd be hearing of him being charged not with drink-driving, but causing death by drunk and dangerous driving. Drink-driving in South Africa is a problem, I'm well aware it's a problem, so this case doesn't really surprise me very much. But certainly it's something I hope against hope will in time be sorted. Equally, though, there's other things I'd be rather more concerned about and would hope would be sorted first.
You a regular visitant to these parts, Richie? You seem, going by your posts, to be very well acquainted with the South African way of life.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You a regular visitant to these parts, Richie? You seem, going by your posts, to be very well acquainted with the South African way of life.
Nah, never been TBH. But I have read quite a few people (much on here and a little elsewhere) who've talked a good deal about drink-driving in connection with South Africa.

Protean

State Regular
Some of us don't have taxis in our towns Nicole :) Not that it's excusable, but driving home drunk is a much better bet than walking home.. More chance of "arriving alive"..
I know some of you are dorpies, that's why I made that comment :) No but really. It isn't an excuse. You shouldn't compare it to anything, not drinking really isn't that much of a sacrifice. And now I'm finished preaching.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Nah, never been TBH. But I have read quite a few people (much on here and a little elsewhere) who've talked a good deal about drink-driving in connection with South Africa.
Being without a car, I haven't experienced much drink-driving myself. I was, however, once stopped for drink-walking. By a pole.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
TT Boy said:
Gibbs apparently swore like a sailor and then refused to play ball with a black policeman.

His lawyer may also have to work some magic for he will miss a part of the England tour (if selected for the test series) due to his court appearance...

http://www.int.iol.co.za/index.php?s...2149640C383368
Haha crazy. Banned for taking money to under perform, banned for a racist comment and now arrested for drunk driving. Quite the interesting career.