• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Mark Ramprakash play for England this summer?

Will Mark Ramprakash play for England this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Unconvinced. Ramps scoring well at FC level is old hat. The old 'one more chance' was uttered many times in the 90's and he got plenty of them, even when he didn't deserve them.
He isn't 'scoring well' though. He averaged 101.30 in the last season - that is incredible. He is soon eradicating ways for people to get him out. His technique is quite remarkably refined to the point where you can occasionally wonder just how people get him out.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ramps suffered massively from five superb bowlers:
- Walsh: 9 dismissals
- Donald: 6 dismissals
- Ambrose: 5 dismissals
- Mcgrath: 5 dismissals
- Warne: 5 dismissals

No bowlers of that calliber remain in international cricket. Also, as I said before, his technique is evidently better than in his last Test stint.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ramprakash's problem wasn't technique though, it was temperament. Yes, he got out often to excellent bowlers but much of this was more due to bad strokes, caused by his suspect temperament, than brilliant bowling.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seen and heard it all before.

As for the lack of superb bowlers argument, I could definitely see some big nicks happening from Steyn, Lee, Clark, Asif, etc. Notice all the bowlers who've succeeded against him have accuracy as their primary tool. That says enough about Ramps; tie him up then throw in the wide one and he could never resist. Has that mysteriously disappeared from his game? Highly doubt it.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ramprakash's problem wasn't technique though, it was temperament. Yes, he got out often to excellent bowlers but much of this was more due to bad strokes, caused by his suspect temperament, than brilliant bowling.
It is a good point, no doubt, and temperament cannot truly be tested when you boss your level, but I feel that there comes a point where semantical (for lack of a real word) arguements go out the window and you realise that the person outscoring others in a season by 700 runs should earn selection for England.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
As for the lack of superb bowlers argument, I could definitely see some big nicks happening from Steyn, Lee, Clark, Asif, etc. Notice all the bowlers who've succeeded against him have accuracy as their primary tool. That says enough about Ramps; tie him up then throw in the wide one and he could never resist. Has that mysteriously disappeared from his game? Highly doubt it.
The four you mentioned cannot compare to the five I mentioned. But, as I said, I feel he has improved, so it becomes slightly irrelevant. Tie him up and throw in the wide one? How low do you think County level is. They analyse players, nevermind the best player out there and Ramprakash must have had countless simple plans like the one you suggested tried against him.

Top_Cat

Tie him up and throw in the wide one? How low do you think County level is. They analyse players, nevermind the best player out there and Ramprakash must have had countless simple plans like the one you suggested tried against him.
Yet;

1) He's dominated county level before
2) That sort of tactic has worked against him many times at Test level.
3) At CC level he's a dasher, at Test level most of his knocks were ground out.

What's the point of difference here? The level he's playing at.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
What's the point of difference here? The level he's playing at.
The fact is that the level of Division One County Cricket has increased vastly since the 1990s, Shane Warne said that the good players have become concentrated toward Division One in an interview last year and I concurr.

Do you really not believe that a person with an average of 101.30 this season and the top scorer of many seasons before does not deserve one more chance. Who cares if England possibly waste some matches, the fact is that he has earned a recall and that those who terrorised him in his previous stint have all since retired. There is no future consequence, this is one last chance for a County superstar on the way out. He has stepped up his County Cricket performances significently, with far higher season averages than before, who is to say that this is not a step up in international potential?

Top_Cat

Who cares if England possibly waste some matches
The English selectors perhaps? Those concerned with the long term welfare of the team? You don't pick a bunch of individuals, you pick a team. Runs or not, his selection won't amount to much if he's not going to be there in two years which is highly likely.

the fact is that he has earned a recall and that those who terrorised him in his previous stint have all since retired.
You're assuming he won't get terrorised by a new bunch of bowlers.

There is no future consequence, this is one last chance for a County superstar on the way out.
So we pick a bloke for one last hurrah, the future of the Test team be damned? That's a luxury reserved for those on the sidelines. His selection lacks long-term potential and if there's something the side really doesn't need right now, it's a stop-gap selection which has no guarantee of succeeding anyway.

He has stepped up his County Cricket performances significently, with far higher season averages than before, who is to say that this is not a step up in international potential?
I always look at the way the team they're playing for is doing when it comes to gun performances. The reason the Kat is up for selection again is because NSW also won the Pura Cup. Surrey finished mid-table. That 2026 runs in a season really had no consequences for the team's fortune tells you many things about what's important in a successful team besides sheer weight of runs. Unless Ramps' selection will significantly alter the course of the English side as it stands, there's no point in picking a bloke near 40 who won't last long anyway.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The English selectors perhaps? Those concerned with the long term welfare of the team? You don't pick a bunch of individuals, you pick a team. Runs or not, his selection won't amount to much if he's not going to be there in two years which is highly likely.

You're assuming he won't get terrorised by a new bunch of bowlers.

So we pick a bloke for one last hurrah, the future of the Test team be damned? That's a luxury reserved for those on the sidelines. His selection lacks long-term potential and if there's something the side really doesn't need right now, it's a stop-gap selection which has no guarantee of succeeding anyway.

I always look at the way the team they're playing for is doing when it comes to gun performances. The reason the Kat is up for selection again is because NSW also won the Pura Cup. Surrey finished mid-table. That 2026 runs in a season really had no consequences for the team's fortune tells you many things about what's important in a successful team besides sheer weight of runs. Unless Ramps' selection will significantly alter the course of the English side as it stands, there's no point in picking a bloke near 40 who won't last long anyway.
I think there's simply a difference in approaches here between Aus and England. Interestingly, the one time England approached a series with an attitude similar to ours and with a positive apporach they beat us quite convincingly. Since then it's been a massive backward step.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Quite convincingly a little generous perhaps? Series went down to the penultimate session ITBT

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Scoreline might suggest closeness in the contest, the reality is that England dominated all of the Tests bar Lord's.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Quite convincingly a little generous perhaps? Series went down to the penultimate session ITBT
It did, but we had to win to draw the series and keep the Ashes. I thought England looked the better team for most of the series. It would have been a lucky result for us to draw the series and would have been an unfitting end given we were outplayed. We had one player who stood up (Warne) while England played strongly as a team (if we forget the first test). Once England worked out how to put the foot on the throat we were totally outplayed.

Top_Cat

It did, but we had to win to draw the series and keep the Ashes. I thought England looked the better team for most of the series. It would have been a lucky result for us to draw the series and would have been an unfitting end given we were outplayed. We had one player who stood up (Warne) while England played strongly as a team (if we forget the first test). Once England worked out how to put the foot on the throat we were totally outplayed.
Yep, exactly. If not for the rain, the series would likely have been over before the Oval.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So we pick a bloke for one last hurrah, the future of the Test team be damned? That's a luxury reserved for those on the sidelines. His selection lacks long-term potential and if there's something the side really doesn't need right now, it's a stop-gap selection which has no guarantee of succeeding anyway..
Long term potential? Each Test is important and if England continue to faff around and ignore the undoubted best County performer, they will continue to lose Tests.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I've never really seen much merit in 'long term' selections for test cricket. I think its far more an issue in ODI's where you are always looking to build a team with the next World Cup in mind and the pressures on a young player arent so great, so its a good environment to blood youngsters.

Test cricket on the other hand is supposed to be the ultimate test both of technique and temperament...and I've always been of the opinion you pick your best team to win the next match. If two players are on equal footing and one is 25, the other 36, then obviously you take the 25 year old. However I hate to see a test batsman being overlooked for an inferior one on the basis of age.

The question here for me really is if England were simply to pick the XI most likely to win the next test match would Mark Ramprakash be a part of it?
I tend to think he would..