• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ players allowed to skip tour matches in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Put it in the tour thread IMO, TBH.

Yeah, we knew this was going to happen - it's not absolutely ideal, but I don't really know what else anyone was thinking was going to happen. You can't have players being signed for multiple thousands of dollars then not being available because of some (in the scheme of that) meaningless tour-game.

In future, we're just going to have to try our best to schedule tours to the maximum extent possible around the IPL, as has been said many times. If that reduces the absurdly over-crowded international calender in favour of some easy-aess, working-holiday Twenty20 games, excellent.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If that reduces the absurdly over-crowded international calender in favour of some easy-aess, working-holiday Twenty20 games, excellent.
Definately. The best position of the IPL on the schedule would be as an international holiday.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Atleast it's cricket (regardless of type) VS World Class players. Rather them play in england though.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im all good with it. They miss the meaningless festival opener and a four-dayer but theyll be back for two more four-dayers before the first test.
And its not like they'll have come in cold, they will have at least played some form of competitive cricket prior.

And if you ask me, the most important warm-up of them all will be the final match against the British Lions before the first test as that will be the best hit out they'll get out of all the initial warm-ups.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Am also not too concerned though I do believe its a shame that the side obviously won't be flying out together as a team and beginning the tour as a team. Thats cricket these days, I guess.

Out of interest, with five players missing and presumably a 15 man squad, wheres the 11th player going to come from for the first two warm up games?

Last edited:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
They'll bring in an extra wicket keeper, and some young batsmen.

Gareth Hopkins I heard is the replacement for McCullum.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This may well be the beginnign of a trend. You can't blame players if they aren't that well paid by their boards for making as much as they can.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
They'll bring in an extra wicket keeper, and some young batsmen.

Gareth Hopkins I heard is the replacement for McCullum.
I expected him to be going anyway so no complaints about Hopkins making the trip. Will be interesting to see which young batsmen they decide to bring over though.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Atleast it's cricket (regardless of type) VS World Class players. Rather them play in england though.
Exactly. Competitive cricket against quality opposition cannot be a bad thing. Although it's going to be hilarious hearing all the complaints should the IPL guys have a bad first Test about dirty Indian money ruining the game etc etc.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I expected him to be going anyway so no complaints about Hopkins making the trip. Will be interesting to see which young batsmen they decide to bring over though.
I'm a Northern fan, and I wanted Peter McGlashan to go. 8-)

He's not really a wicket keeper though, more a big hitting batsman who happens to keep.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm a Northern fan, and I wanted Peter McGlashan to go. 8-)

He's not really a wicket keeper though, more a big hitting batsman who happens to keep.
Sorry but he's not a batsman either.:laugh:

TBH I'm still bitter about that 20/20 game where he won you lot the match from no where. We won the comp though.:happy:

Leslie1

U19 Captain
It's all the Astle effect. I argue since his innings, every batsman around the country think they can chase down impossibly huge totals VIA the frequent flybys.

Exactly. Competitive cricket against quality opposition cannot be a bad thing. Although it's going to be hilarious hearing all the complaints should the IPL guys have a bad first Test about dirty Indian money ruining the game etc etc.
Beg to differ. 20 20 is hardly ideal preparation for test matches. Especially New Zealand batting, we need them get as much games under their belt learning how to NOT throw wickets away halter skelter, and they don't have this patience to stick around.

Especially when we all know NZ will be 100 for 5 every innings probably and our batting really starts when Taylor and McCullum arrive at the crease.

Last edited: