• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Players Overly Concerned with their Stats?

sideshowtim

Banned
AFAIC, Bradman's average is 100

Seriously, does anyone consider decimal points when discussing averages ?
Haha, it's something I find quite funnny. If someone these days has an average of 54.94 we'd just say 55, but you never hear anyone saying "Bradman averaged 100".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But if someone has an average of 49.97, despite the fact we should say "he averages 50", we don't.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, it's something I find quite funnny. If someone these days has an average of 54.94 we'd just say 55, but you never hear anyone saying "Bradman averaged 100".
But if someone has an average of 49.97, despite the fact we should say "he averages 50", we don't.
I'd usually come up with something like "a tick under 55" for the former or "just below 50" for the latter. Slightly anal, perhaps.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I disagree strongly. However, I've had this argument with you before and I believe it dragged on for about 7 pages, so I have no intention of going through all that again. I just needed to make my presence felt on the issue, really. :p
I don't remember the argument frankly, and I find it hard to believe you disagree.

When I say they are equal in everything, I mean EVERYTHING. They can play slow innings when they need to. They can save a draw by batting for their lives. They can bat fast to steal a win...everything.

I'm interested to know, what is there to disagree upon?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That is a very strange call, IMO. Given Bradman's stats suggest he was in slight decline and the fact that he was 40 odd, what makes you think his average would have gone up? It wouldn't just be a matter of him batting well, but averaging over 100 - something he didn't even manage throughout his entire career which included his prime as a cricketer.
Actually, Bradman's stats suggest he wasn't on the decline. They actually suggest he was batting better, believe it or not.

As you can see, Bradman improves on his average 10 years after when he returns. Bradman keeps it hovering above 100 for most of that time. Quite amazing.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
35 not-outs out of how many?

37? Sure.

113? No.
In the case of making 200 runs it's the difference between adding an average of 6 to the team total every time you bat and 1.8-ish...not that useful in either case.

As a no.11 I can average 25 for the season but it doesn't mean I've won any games for the team with my batting or even contributed more than once as I'm likely to be not out a lot as one of the last 2 batsmen left.