• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I see from your avatar you follow him a bit do you?

Tell me why he's got weight issues. I remember looking at an U19 photo of him with Ross Taylor and he was thin back then.

His size meant that he always would bat like a Greatbatch. Although Greatbatch isn't as 'big' as he is now.
Basically when he moved down to Wellington, the people he lived with fed him lots of fry ups, and that mixed with plenty of drinking and a lack of self control meant he started piling on the pounds.

Greatbatch was actually an extremely defensive and circumspect batsmen until the 1992 WC, after which he was permanently pidgeon holed as a pinch hitter. Rather unfortunately too, considering he was actually much better when he was a run accumulater instead of a boundary hitter.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Seriously, it's a real shame we're unlikely ever to see a fully fit Oram and a fully fit Flintoff play a full series in opposing sides.

The great batting-all-rounder of the age vs the great bowling-all-rounder of the age.
It is a shame. It would be a great series if they both managed to make it through without injury. Unfortunately both of them are not likely to fulfill their true potential. Imagine the battles that they could have had.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It is a shame. It would be a great series if they both managed to make it through without injury. Unfortunately both of them are not likely to fulfill their true potential. Imagine the battles that they could have had.
Hmmm. Depends what you class as fulfilling your potential really. Flintoff had a couple of great years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In September 2005, I was hoping for so much more than that, and so I daresay were most others.

If you'd told us then that 6 months downthe line (ie, at the end of the India Test series) all of real note that he'd ever do would then have been done, I'd imagine most of the cricket-following country would've been crestfallen.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, you're right, I agree that I was hoping for a few years of him being the world's best cricketer, but if we look back on 04/05, man, what a cricketer

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, for my money he was better in 2005/06 than 2004/05. His bowling-figures were good in South Africa but I didn't think he bowled particularly well. Bowled absolutely brilliantly in Pakistan and India though, and batted better than I ever dreamed he would or could in India (aside from the 5th and last innings of the series, which was a shocker). He certainly didn't bat well in South Africa, at all, and nor was I terribly surprised about that.

Obviously, 2005 was his coup-de-grace. But I feel the follow-up was better than the prelude. Certainly in summer 2004 he did nothing but bash rubbish attacks, something he'd been capable of for years, starting in New Zealand in 2001/02, and bowl-out mostly poor batsmen, though he had bowled decently in Sri Lanka and West Indies the previous winter\spring.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH, for my money he was better in 2005/06 than 2004/05. His bowling-figures were good in South Africa but I didn't think he bowled particularly well. Bowled absolutely brilliantly in Pakistan and India though, and batted better than I ever dreamed he would or could in India (aside from the 6th and last innings of the series, which was a shocker). He certainly didn't bat well in South Africa, at all, and nor was I terribly surprised about that.

Obviously, 2005 was his coup-de-grace. But I feel the follow-up was better than the prelude. Certainly in summer 2004 he did nothing but bash rubbish attacks, something he'd been capable of for years, starting in New Zealand in 2001/02, and bowl-out mostly poor batsmen, though he had bowled decently in Sri Lanka and West Indies the previous winter\spring.
TBH I should have said 04-06, I meant the time period rather than the season anyhow. But yeah, something that often gets forgotten is how bloody brilliantly he bowled in Pakistan. At that point I don't think people could have complained if you named him the #1 fast bowler in the world, on form. As for India, he was just an inspiration all round, though he didn't bat in the 6th innings in the series, as as far as I know he ain't Indian :p

For me, he was great in one or the other discipine from Sri Lanka 03 through to India away in 06. And many times great in both, most notably in the two toughest series, Aus at home and India away. And yeah, some of the batting and bowling he faced in that time was mediocre, but he still did what was asked of him and more. Honestly, what a legend, I could cry thinking that he might never reach those heights again :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As for India, he was just an inspiration all round, though he didn't bat in the 6th innings in the series, as as far as I know he ain't Indian :p
:huh:

Meant his 5th innings of the series, where he scored 51 with about 4 let-offs. What did you think I meant?

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You know what, I've just had an absolute brain freeze, please ignore me hahahaha

Mind you, I'm pretty sure he only batted 5 times in that series. Don't think he batted in the second dig at Nagpur, could well be wrong though

Flem274*

123/5
I'd love to see Flintoff and Oram fully fit and in form go at it. Would be good fun.

WRT our openers, I know it can't happen this series due to the ICC qualification thing but could the Canterbury number three Johan Myburgh get the call to open up for Canterbury in preparation for test debut when he qualifies for NZ? He's one of the brighter prospects in the country and has opened a couple of times this season IIRC. If whoever we pick in the next couple of years doesn't stick with How then he's a possibility.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I try and avoid making assumptions where people are from based on name tbh. Have known it to cause offence in the past.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Myburg is Australian. NZC gave him incentives to get him to come and play for New Zealand because he has a NZ mother. At least that's him, it could be another person we got over. Grant Elliot is the token South African.

Flem274*

123/5
Myburg is Australian. NZC gave him incentives to get him to come and play for New Zealand because he has a NZ mother. At least that's him, it could be another person we got over. Grant Elliot is the token South African.
Pretty sure Myburgh is a yarpie. When he arrived the commentators said he average 40+ in SA domestic cricket and now he's doing the same thing here. He and Peter Fulton have been quite handy in the Canterbury line up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRC Amla's domestic record is ****
Nah, Haashim Amla's domestic record is first-rate. That's why he got a chance - three chances, indeed - at Test level. Ahmed's is less good, but Ahmed has never been picked for international cricket nor got near.