• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Barney Rubble

International Coach
It'll probably affect his bowling. Why not get Vettori to open?
I was just looking at Vettori's career stats, and as it turns out, opener is the only batting position he's never filled in Test cricket. If he eventually bats at number one, and then at number two, in the NZ lineup, he'll have filled every position from number 1-11 in a Test innings. Must be the first person ever to do that.

He also only needs to bat at four, six and eleven in ODIs to achieve it there, too. Although that's much less likely, as he's far too good to ever bat eleven these days, unless NZ had a ridiculously strong batting lineup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was just looking at Vettori's career stats, and as it turns out, opener is the only batting position he's never filled in Test cricket. If he eventually bats at number one, and then at number two, in the NZ lineup, he'll have filled every position from number 1-11 in a Test innings. Must be the first person ever to do that.
No, another left-arm fingerspinner whose batting improved steadily over his career, Wilfred Rhodes, did it (inclusive of both one and two positions as well) between 1899 and 1920-something.

There may be others, but Rhodes is the only one I know for certain.

BTW, won't you be back in England for this series?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
No, another left-arm fingerspinner whose batting improved steadily over his career, Wilfred Rhodes, did it (inclusive of both one and two positions as well) between 1899 and 1920-something.

There may be others, but Rhodes is the only one I know for certain.

BTW, won't you be back in England for this series?
For most of it, yeah. Looking forward to it. :)

And I'm surprised that someone had done that feat before, but it doesn't surprise me that it was Wilfred Rhodes. Should have guessed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With results like this, I think the Ryder/McCullum partnership should continue.
Yeah, not convinced about the long-term viability of Ryder-McCullum at the top of the order at all, but as long as it continues to be successful I can't see any reason not to maintain it. It'll be disappointing if any other course of action is countenanced.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(re Flintoff) I hope not, as it's highly unlikely he'd be fit at that point, and would almost certainly simply disrupt things again by breaking down, probably early on in the opening Test.
Looking at the fixture list, Lancashire have three 4-day games before the 1st test. Unliklely as it may be, if he plays and bowls well in all three games, it would be hard to leave him out.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I'm aware, he's not bowling yet is he?

Any Lancs close-followers (steds? Dav?) who could tell us more?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
SOmeone posted a picture somewhere. Can't find it, but he has bowled the last couple of games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes indeed, I've seen that picture now I think about it.

I can't say the fact Flintoff is bowling (how many overs BTW?) in a pre-season friendly or two greatly inspires me though TBH. I almost feel like I want half a season or so of bowling - and certainly don't expect to get it - before I believe Flintoff might be right as rain again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
IIRC Goughy posted the picture (from cricinfo) on the "3rd XI" thread that he started a couple of weeks ago. I think Fred's bowled in more than one game, but not many overs. Anyway, that was what prompted me to wonder what could happen if he bowled a full quota of overs in Lancashire's first 3 CC games.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yes indeed, I've seen that picture now I think about it.

I can't say the fact Flintoff is bowling (how many overs BTW?) in a pre-season friendly or two greatly inspires me though TBH. I almost feel like I want half a season or so of bowling - and certainly don't expect to get it - before I believe Flintoff might be right as rain again.
5-1-9-2 (Nash & Ben Brown '88) v Sussex
4-0-22-1 (Gale) v Yorkshire

Woodster

International Captain
Yes apparently he bowled without any discomfort, and also importantly, he did not feel any soreness after his first bowling stint (not sure about after the second). He was obviously not at his quickest, but will have been a decent work out for him and regained a bit of confidence in his ankle hopefully.

Think it was reported that he was quite pleased with how it went.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously, it's a real shame we're unlikely ever to see a fully fit Oram and a fully fit Flintoff play a full series in opposing sides.

The great batting-all-rounder of the age vs the great bowling-all-rounder of the age.