• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If Fulton is injured, and Southee makes a compelling case for inclusion in the ODI side? Franklin is not available for the whole tour it seems.

So take them out... and you have to have a winning ODI side with what we've got.
Southee to replace Franklin if injured, Broom for Fulton for same reason.

Guptill to open if Ryder is still injured as well. Just IMO from form, ability and stats. If I had my own way in world cricket, my NZ XI would look much different.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Good lord forgot all about Styris! :ph34r:

He's an automatic selection.

As for Vettori, well, asking questions of him now so we don't wonder why we keep losing tests on spinning tracks would be prudent. :sleep: :-O :happy:

He has to perform in the tests in England with the ball better than he has done over in New Zealand. Panesar killed us, I don't see why we didn't with our spinners to their lineup in the 2nd innings while Bell and Strauss got going.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
NZT, agree with your edited team but I'm a bit worried that Styris is too low. If worst came to worst, Fulton would go to 6.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
My ODI side fully fit:

1. Ryder
2. McCullum+
3. How
4. Fulton
5. Taylor
6. Styris
7. Oram
8. Vettori*
9. Franklin
10. Mills
11. Patel/Martin (pitch depending).

IMO.

Edit: keep forgetting Styris still plays ODI's.
Taylor at four and Styris five for mine. If Fulton's included I'd put him at six though its hardly ideal. That spot at number six still looking dodgy, I don't think either of Taylor, Styris or Fulton really suit the role. Bring back Macca. :p

I'd actually like to see Ryder experimented at number six, opening up with How and McCullum which would allow Taylor at 3, Styris at 4 and Fulton at 5. May not work, and at the moment I wouldn't change a successful combination at the top of the order, but worth trying in the future IMO.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Good lord forgot all about Styris! :ph34r:

He's an automatic selection.

As for Vettori, well, asking questions of him now so we don't wonder why we keep losing tests on spinning tracks would be prudent. :sleep: :-O :happy:

He has to perform in the tests in England with the ball better than he has done over in New Zealand. Panesar killed us, I don't see why we didn't with our spinners to their lineup in the 2nd innings while Bell and Strauss got going.
Sidebottom killed us - in the first innings. We had 2 days to do what no other team has done before. Panesar was in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the situation.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Taylor at four and Styris five for mine. If Fulton's included I'd put him at six though its hardly ideal. That spot at number six still looking dodgy, I don't think either of Taylor, Styris or Fulton really suit the role. Bring back Macca. :p

I'd actually like to see Ryder experimented at number six, opening up with How and McCullum which would allow Taylor at 3, Styris at 4 and Fulton at 5. May not work, and at the moment I wouldn't change a successful combination at the top of the order, but worth trying in the future IMO.
Doesn't Ryder play at 6 in State Championship? I think he's more a 6 (bowls a bit, like Collingwood) than an opener myself.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Doesn't Ryder play at 6 in State Championship? I think he's more a 6 (bowls a bit, like Collingwood) than an opener myself.
Do you mean state championship or state shield? In the 4-day comp, he's been Wellington's number 4 since he joined the team. In one dayers he's batted everywhere 1 to 6, with consistently inconsistent results.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I see from your avatar you follow him a bit do you?

Tell me why he's got weight issues. I remember looking at an U19 photo of him with Ross Taylor and he was thin back then.

His size meant that he always would bat like a Greatbatch. Although Greatbatch isn't as 'big' as he is now.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Who would we replace him with? There's no one on the team that would be ready, let alone good enough to replace him. The next best is McCullum and he would struggle a lot worse than Vettori in the role. Oram, he might make a good captain but I don't think he'll last long in tests. So who else does that leave?
If How makes the side for the English tour and notches up that maiden test century... :unsure:

He's got a great brain for it, but he is still learning his trade at the top.

and TBH I'm fine with Vettori atm.

McCullum's captaincy was pretty ass in the 20/20 so if Vettori were to drop dead 2mw I'd be more confident will How setting the fields, as long as his average keeps going up...

Last edited:

99*

International Debutant
If How makes the side for the English tour and notches up that maiden test century... :unsure:

He's got a great brain for it, but he is still learning his trade at the top.

and TBH I'm fine with Vettori atm.

McCullum's captaincy was pretty ass in the 20/20 so if Vettori were to drop dead 2mw I'd be more confident will How setting the fields, as long as his average keeps going up...
Yeah, I though about How but I'm just not sure. I think (ask someone who takes notice) he is the captain of CD. So I guess he could.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah, I though about How but I'm just not sure. I think (ask someone who takes notice) he is the captain of CD. So I guess he could.
Yeah he does captain for them. I'm picking he will make the tour and thus skipper the side for the two games before Vettori and McCullum fly in from India. He captained the New Zealand XI against the England team for the pre-test warmup matches here, so the selectors have already recognised his potential there...

99*

International Debutant
Yeah he does captain for them. I'm picking he will make the tour and thus skipper the side for the two games before Vettori and McCullum fly in from India. He captained the New Zealand XI against the England team for the pre-test warmup matches here, so the selectors have already recognised his potential there...
It'll be good for him and NZ. If we can get someone else with some ability as a back-up captain for both Vettori and McCullum if anything happens. Just hope if he does captain those two games, it still allows him to get some good form going.

paddy11

Cricket Spectator
To be honest Vettori couldn't do any worse than Bell at the top of the order. Anyone who makes Sidebottom look like Wasim Akram needs to sort there technique out. I would go 3-0 to England in the tests but New Zealand will win 5-0 in the one dayers.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because oppositions have a) spinners even better and b) batsmen better at playing spin than New Zealand's?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Had a dream about the First Test last night.

England were bowled out for 77, NZ were 38/5 at stumps on day one, and then were bowled out for 135. Can't remember what happened in the second dig.

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Not sure how long this Ryder/McCullum thing will last though, one should drop down to #6 on swinging/seaming pitches perhaps and let How face the opening spell.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Fulton @ 7? :wacko:
Yeah, strikes me as someone who could make a decent "finisher" to the innings. The 2nd match against Australia in the CH series last year made me aware of his potential at the back end of the innings.

Oram's talents I feel are slighty wasted at 7 as well. Could make improve on his ODI conversion rate if batting in the top 6 IMO.