• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Technology in Cricket

robmcmenamin

Cricket Spectator
I am currently researching on whether or not technology should be used in the professional game. I am mainly interested in the views of the cricket spectators.

Part of my research involves a mass survey and I would be very thankful if anyone would complete a survey from the link below.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=zb4rCbnKe_2bvNDXLtDQlhdg_3d_3d

As well as that if anyone has comments about the use of technology such as Hawk-Eye, Snick-O, Hot Spot and Slow Mo in the professional game please feel free to start a disscussion in this thread.

Personally I would like to see the technology used in first class and test cricket but in my opinion the umpire should be the only person who gets to decide if the technology should be used for a certain decision.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

The Masterplan

U19 Debutant
I think that all the technology that is in place to help umpires at the moment is a good thing, its got to be ! Without it there would be alot of blame on umpires as there is in football with referees... and i agree with you that only the standing umpires should decide when it is used. Although i think the speed gun used to mesure how fast a bowler is bowling can be a little over emphasised i.e selectors may pick bowlers who register quicker speeds on the radar... these however may not be the best bowlers to have in your team.. there just being picked to bowl fast... !? I don't know anyway... thats just my view...

robmcmenamin

Cricket Spectator
The survey is for my university dissertation. I will also be forwarding my findings to the ICC and ECB to aid the research that they have already done in this area.

This research intends to get the views of the fans and supporters of the game and not just the players and umpires.

I would be happy to forward it on to anyone who is interested in it after it has been competed.

Rob

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Had a go at the survey as well.

Personally I would encourage the idea of a tennis Open style format, where after making two/three referrals which prove that the umpire has made the right decision, the side's use of the technology is used up even if they wish to dispute a decision later in the innings.

As I keep saying, we want to see the players play, not the umpires umpire, so every opportunity to see the player perform to his potential (with correct decisions) should be encouraged IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, there goes my feature article for the month!!
Edit: survey done. Itstl.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So can technology tell it for sure if the ball hot the bat or not ? I am talking about the LBW shout against Boucher (Sreesanth's bowling) that was not given by the umpire.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So can technology tell it for sure if the ball hot the bat or not ? I am talking about the LBW shout against Boucher (Sreesanth's bowling) that was not given by the umpire.
Yeah, I think that's the problem with it. I suppose, if the technology is inconclusive, then if a player has asked for a referral, the original decision stands.

Similar with caught behinds down the elg side - Ponting's one in Sydney (I think it was) - therre was a noise, but a noise isn't conclusive in itself. If they looked at that, I assume they'd look to the hot spot or to the super slow mo to see if the path or spin of the ball had altered. In some cases you won't see evidence of that. if you can't see it, how can you alter the decision originally given?

It's an interesting one.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Surely it's not difficult to find out, set up a test net session and have a bowler bowl at the stumps and stop the flow of information to the LBW prediction algorithm at certain random points when the ball would have hit the typical batsman, then check the algorithm accuracy.

I personally trust Hawkeye to an acceptable margin of error more than I would any human. Error is always there, nothing can ever be 100% accurate all we can do is improve it.